1. In the name of God, the Almighty, the Most Merciful.
2. Praise be to God, the Lord of the worlds.
3. The Almighty, the Most Merciful.
4. Possessor of the Day of Judgment.
5. You alone we serve, you alone we seek for assistance.
6. Guide us to the straight path.
7. The path of those whom You blessed, not those who have incurred the wrath, nor the misguided.
In the name of God, the Almighty, the Most Merciful
2. This is the Scripture in which there is no doubt, a guide for the righteous.
3. Those who believe in the unseen, and establish the assembly, and from Our provisions to them they spend.
4. And those who believe in what was sent down to you, and what was sent down before you, and regarding the Hereafter they are aware.
5. These are the ones guided by their Lord, and these are the winners.
6. As for those who reject, whether you warn them or do not warn them, they will not believe.
7. God has sealed over their hearts and over their ears, and over their eyes are covers. They will incur a great retribution.
8. And from the people are those who say: “We believe in God and in the last day,” but they are not believers.
9. They attempt to deceive God and those who believe, but they only deceive themselves without noticing.
10. In their hearts is a disease, so God increases their disease, and they will have a painful retribution for what they have denied.
11. And if they are told: “Do not make mischief on Earth,” they say: “But we are the reformers!”
12. No, they are the mischief makers, but they do not perceive.
13. And if they are told: “Believe, as the people have believed,” they say: “Shall we believe as the fools have believed?” No, they are the fools but they do not know.
14. And if they come across those who have believed, they say: “We believe,” and when they are alone with their devils they say: “We are with you, we were only mocking.”
15. God mocks them, and leaves them prolonged in their transgression.
16. These are the ones who have purchased straying for guidance, their trade did not profit them, nor were they guided.
17. Their example is like one who lights a fire, so when it illuminates what is around him, God takes away his light and leaves him in the darkness not seeing.
18. Deaf, dumb, and blind, they will not revert.
19. Or as a cloud from the sky, in it are darkness and thunder and lightning. They place their fingers in their ears from the lightning strikes out of fear of death; but God is aware of the rejecters.
20. The lightning nearly snatches away their sight, whenever it lights the path they walk in it, and when it becomes dark on them they stand. Had God willed, He would have taken away their hearing and their sight; God is capable of all things.
21. O people, serve your Lord who has created you and those before you that you may be righteous.
22. The One who made the land a habitat, and the sky a structure, and He sent down from the sky water with which He brought out fruit as a gift to you. So do not take any equals with God while you now know.
23. And if you are in doubt as to what We have sent down to Our servant, then bring a chapter like this, and call upon your witnesses other than God if you are truthful.
24. And if you cannot do this; and you will not be able to do this; then beware the Fire whose fuel is people and stones, it has been prepared for the rejecters.
25. And give tidings to those who believe and do good works, that they will have gardens with rivers flowing beneath. Every time they receive of its fruit, they say: “This is what we have been provisioned before,” and they are given its likeness. And there they will have pure mates, and in it they will abide.
26. God does not shy away from citing the example of a mosquito, or anything above it. As for those who believe, they know that it is the truth from their Lord. As for the rejecters, they say: “What does God want with this example?” He lets many stray by it, and He guides many, but He only lets stray the evildoers.
27. The ones who break their pledge to God after making its covenant, and they sever what God had ordered to be delivered. And they make corruption on earth; these are the losers.
28. How can you reject God when you were dead and He brought you to life? Then He makes you die, then He brings you to life, then to Him you return.
29. He is the One who created for you all that is on Earth, then He tended to the heaven and made it seven heavens, and He is aware of all things.
30. And your Lord said to the Angels: “I am placing a successor on Earth.” They said: “Would You place in it those who would corrupt in it, and spill blood, while we sing your glory, and praise You?” He said: “I know what you do not know.”
31. And He taught Adam the description of all things, then He displayed them to the Angels and said: “Inform Me the descriptions of these things if you are truthful.”
32. They said: “Glory be to You, we have no knowledge except that which You have taught us, You are the Knowledgeable, the Wise.”
33. He said: “O Adam, inform them of these descriptions,” so when he informed them the descriptions, He said: “Did I not tell you that I know the unseen of heavens and Earth, and that I know what you reveal and what you were hiding?”
34. And We said to the Angels: “Submit to Adam,” so they submitted except for Satan, he refused and became arrogant, and became of the rejecters.
35. And We said: “O Adam, reside you and your mate in the Garden, and eat from it bountifully as you both wish, and do not approach this tree, else you will be of those who did wrong.”
36. So, the devil tricked them from it, and he brought them out from what they were in, and We said: “Descend, you are enemies of one another, and on Earth you shall have stability and luxury for a while.”
37. Adam then received words from His Lord, so He forgave him; He is the Forgiver, the Merciful.
38. We said: “Descend from it all of you, so when the guidance comes from Me, then whoever follows My guidance, they will have nothing to fear, nor will they grieve.”
39. And those who disbelieve and deny Our revelations, they are the dwellers of Hell, in it they will abide.
40. O Children of Israel, remember My blessings that I had blessed you with, and fulfill your pledge to Me that I may fulfill My pledge to you, and revere Me alone.
41. And believe in what I have sent down, authenticating what is already with you, and do not be the first to disbelieve in it! And do not purchase with My verses a cheap gain, and of Me you shall be aware.
42. And do not confound the truth with falsehood, and keep the truth secret while you know.
43. And establish the assembly, and contribute towards betterment, and yield yourselves with those who have yielded.
44. Do you order the people to do good, but forget yourselves, while you are reciting the Scripture? Do you not understand?
45. And seek help through patience, and the assembly. It is a difficult thing, but not so for the humble.
46. The ones who conceive that they will meet their Lord and that to Him they will return.
47. O Children of Israel, remember My blessings that I had blessed you with, and that I had preferred you to all the worlds!
48. And beware of a day where no soul can avail another soul, nor will any intercession be accepted from it, nor will any ransom be taken, nor will they have supporters.
49. And We saved you from the people of Pharaoh; they were punishing you with severe retribution, killing your children, and raping your women. In that was a great trial from your Lord.
50. And We split the sea for you, thus We saved you and drowned the people of Pharaoh while you were watching.
51. And We appointed a meeting time for Moses of forty nights, but then you took the calf after him while you were wicked.
52. Then We forgave you after that, perhaps you would be thankful.
53. And We gave Moses the Scripture and the criterion, perhaps you would be guided.
54. And Moses said to his people: “O my people, you have wronged your souls by taking the calf, so repent to your Maker, and kill yourselves. That is better for you with your Maker, so He would forgive you. He is the Forgiving, the Merciful.“
55. And you said: “O Moses, we will not believe you until we see God openly!” So the lightning bolt took you while you were still staring.
56. Then We resurrected you after your death that you may be appreciative.
57. And We shaded you with clouds, and sent down to you manna and quails: “Eat from the goodness of the provisions We have provided you.” They did not wrong Us, but it was their souls that they wronged.
58. And We said: “Enter this town, and eat from it as plentifully as you wish; and enter the door in submission, and say: “Our load is removed”, We will then forgive your mistakes, and We will increase for the good doers.”
59. But the wicked altered what was said to them for a different saying, thus We sent down upon the wicked an affliction from the heaven for what they had transgressed.
60. And Moses was seeking water for his people, so We said: “Strike the rock with your staff.” Thus twelve springs burst out of it; each tribe then knew from where to drink. “Eat and drink from God’s provisions, and do not roam the earth as corruptors.”
61. And you said: “O Moses, we will not be patient to one type of food, so call for us your Lord that He may bring forth what the earth grows of its beans, cucumbers, garlic, lentils, and onions.” He said: “Would you trade that which is lowly with that which is good?” Descend to Egypt, you will have in it what you have asked for. They were thus stricken with humiliation and disgrace, and they remained under God’s wrath for they were disbelieving in God’s signs, and killing the prophets with no justification; this is for what they have disobeyed and transgressed.
62. Surely those who believe, and those who are Jewish, and the Nazarenes, and the reverts; any one of them who believes in God and the last day, and does good work, they will have their reward with their Lord, with no fear over them, nor will they grieve.
63. And We took your covenant, and raised the mount above you; “Take what We have given you with strength, and remember what is in it that you may be righteous.”
64. Then you turned away after this. And had it not been for God’s favour upon you and His mercy, you would have been of the losers.
65. You have come to know who it was amongst you that transgressed the Sabbath, We said to them: “Be despicable apes!”
66. And We did this as a punishment for what they had done in it and also afterwards, and a reminder to the righteous.
67. And Moses said to his people: “God orders you to slaughter a heifer.” They said: “Do you mock us?” He said: “I seek refuge with God that I not be of the ignorant ones.”
68. They said: “Call upon your Lord for us that He may clarify which it is.” He said: “He says it is a heifer neither too old nor too young, an age between that. So now do as you are commanded.”
69. They said: “Call upon your Lord for us that He may clarify what color it is.” He said: “He says it is a yellow heifer with a strong color, pleasing to those who see it.”
70. They said: “Call upon your Lord for us that He may clarify which one it is, for the heifers all look alike to us and we will, God willing, be guided.”
71. He said: “He says it is a heifer which was never subjugated to plough the land, or water the crops, free from any blemish.” They said: “Now you have come with the truth.” And they slaughtered it, though they had nearly not done so.
72. And you had murdered a person, then disputed in the matter; God was to bring out what you were keeping secret.
73. We said: “Strike him with parts from it.” It is thus that God brings the dead to life, and He shows you His signs that you may comprehend.
74. Then your hearts became hardened after that, they became like stone or even harder; but even from the stones there are rivers that burst forth, or from them are those that crack so that the water comes forth, or from them are what fall from the fear of God; God is not unaware of what you do.
75. Did you expect that they would believe with you, when a group of them had heard God’s words then altered them knowingly after having understood?
76. And when they come across those who believe, they say: “We believe!”, and when they are alone with each other they say: “Why do you inform them about what God has said to us? Then they would use it in argument against us at your Lord. Do you not understand?”
77. Do they not know that God knows what they conceal and what they declare?
78. And amongst them are Gentiles who do not know the Scripture except by hearsay, and they only conjecture.
79. So woe to those who write the Scripture with their hands then say: “This is from God,” so that they can seek a cheap gain! Woe to them for what their hands have written and woe to them for what they gained.
80. And they said: “The fire will not touch us except a limited number of days.” Say: “Have you taken a pledge with God? If so, then God will not break His pledge. Or do you say about God what you do not know?”
81. Indeed, whoever gains a sin, and is surrounded by his mistakes; those are the people of the Fire, in it they abide eternally.
82. And those who believe and do good work, they are the people of Paradise, in it they abide eternally.
83. And We took the covenant of the Children of Israel: “You shall not serve except God, and regard your parents, and regard the relatives, and orphans, and needy, and say kind things to the people, and establish the assembly, and contribute towards betterment.” But then you turned away, except a few of you; you were objecting.
84. And We have taken a covenant with you: “You shall not spill each other’s blood, nor drive each other out from your homes.” Then you agreed to this while bearing witness.
85. But then here you are killing each other and driving out a group of you from their homes; you act towards them with evil and animosity. And if they come to you as prisoners, you ransom them while it was forbidden for you to drive them out! Do you believe in some of the Scripture and disbelieve in some? The punishment for those amongst you who do so is humiliation in this worldly life, and on the day of resurrection they will be returned to the most severe retribution. God is not unaware of what you all do.
86. These are the ones who have purchased this worldly life instead of the Hereafter. The retribution will not be reduced for them, nor will they be supported.
87. And We gave Moses the Scripture, and after him We sent the messengers. And We gave Jesus son of Mary the clear proofs, and We supported Him with the Holy Spirit. Is it that every time a messenger comes to you with what your souls do not desire, you become arrogant? A group of them you deny, and a group of them you kill!
88. And they said: “Our hearts are sealed!” No, it is God who has cursed them for their rejection, for very little do they believe.
89. And when a scripture came to them from God, authenticating what is with them; while before that they were mocking those who rejected; so when what they knew came to them, they rejected it! God’s curse be upon the rejecters.
90. Miserable indeed is what they purchase with their souls, that they disbelieve in what God Has sent down as a resentment that God would send down from His grace to whom He pleases of His servants; thus they have incurred wrath upon wrath. And the rejecters will have a humiliating retribution.
91. And if it is said to them: “Believe in what God Has sent down;” they say: “We believe only in what was sent down to us,” and they reject what came after it, while it is the truth authenticating what is with them. Say: “Why then did you kill God’s prophets if you were believers?”
92. And Moses had come to you with clear proofs, then you took the calf after him; you were wicked!
93. And We took your covenant, and raised the mount above you: “Take what We have given you with strength, and listen.” They said: “We hear and disobey!”, and they had consumed the calf inside their hearts by their disbelief. Say: “Miserable indeed is what your belief orders of you if you are believers!”
94. Say: “If the abode of the Hereafter has been set exclusively for you to the exception of all other people, then you should wish for death if you are truthful!”
95. They will never wish for it because of what their hands have done; and God is aware of the wicked.
96. And you will find them the most obsessive people regarding long life; as well as those who have set-up partners; each one of them wishes that he could live a thousand years. It will not change for him the retribution even if he lived so long, God is watchful over what you do.
97. Say: “Whoever is an enemy to Gabriel, then know that he has sent it down into your heart by God’s permission, authenticating what is already present, and a guide and good news for the believers.”
98. “Whoever was an enemy to God and His Angels, and His messengers, and Gabriel, and Michael, then so God is the enemy to the disbelievers.”
99. We have sent down to you clear verses; only the evil ones would disbelieve in them.
100. Is it that each time they make a pledge, a group of them breaks it? Alas, most of them do not believe.
101. And when a messenger came to them from God, authenticating what was with them, a group of those who had already received the scripture placed God’s scripture behind their backs as if they did not know.
102. And they followed what the devils recited regarding Solomon’s kingship. Solomon did not reject, but it was the devils that rejected by teaching people magic, and teaching them what was sent down on the two Angels in Babylon, Haroot and Maroot. They did not teach anyone until they would say: “We are a test, so do not lose faith!” Thus they teach what can separate between a person and his mate; but they cannot harm anyone except by God’s permission. And they learn what harms them and does not benefit them, and they have known that he who is a slave to his money has no place in the Hereafter. Miserable indeed is what they purchased with their souls if only they knew!
103. And had they believed and been righteous, it would have brought them a reward with God which is far better if they knew!
104. O you who believe, do not say: “Look after us,” but say: “Be patient with us,” and listen. For the rejecters is a painful retribution.
105. Neither do those who have rejected from among the people of the scripture, nor from among those who have set-up partners, wish that any good comes down to you from your Lord. But God chooses with His mercy whom He wishes; and from God is the greatest favour.
106. We do not duplicate a revelation, or make it forgotten, unless We bring one which is like it or even greater. Did you not know that God is capable of all things?
107. Did you not know that to God is the kingship of the heavens and earth, and that you do not have besides God any guardian or supporter?
108. Or do you want to ask your messenger as Moses was asked before? Whoever replaces belief with rejection, he has indeed strayed from the right path.
109. Many of the people of the scripture have wished that they could return you to being rejecters after your believing, out of envy from their souls after the truth was made clear to them. You shall forgive them and overlook until God brings His will. God is capable of all things.
110. And establish the assembly, and contribute towards betterment, and what you bring forth of good for your souls you will find it with God. God is watching what you do.
111. And they said: “None shall enter Paradise except those who are Jewish or Nazarenes;” this is what they wish. Say: “Bring forth your proof if you are truthful.”
112. No, it is the one who surrenders himself to God, while doing good, he will have his reward with his Lord. There will be no fear over them, nor will they grieve.
113. And the Jews said: “The Nazarenes have no basis,” and the Nazarenes said: “The Jews have no basis,” while they are both reciting the scripture! Similarly, those who do not know have said the same thing. God will judge between them on the day of resurrection in what they disputed.
114. And who are more wicked than those who boycott God’s temples; so that His name not be mentioned in them; and they seek there destruction? They will not be able to enter them except in fear; they will have humiliation in this world and in the Hereafter a painful retribution.
115. And to God belongs the east and the west, so wherever you turn, there is God’s presence. God is Encompassing, Knowledgeable.
116. And they said: “God Has taken a son!” Be He glorified. To Him is all that is in the heavens and in the earth, all are humbled to Him.
117. Initiator of heavens and earth, when He decrees a command, He merely says to it: “Be” and it is.
118. And those who do not know said: “If only God would speak to us, or a sign would come to us.” It is the same thing that the people before them have said, their hearts are so similar! We have clarified the signs for a people who comprehend.
119. We have sent you with the truth as a bearer of good news and warner. You will not be questioned about the people of Hell.
120. Neither the Jews nor the Nazarenes will be pleased with you until you follow their creed. Say: “The guidance is God’s guidance.” And if you follow their wishes after the knowledge that has come to you, then there is none who can help or protect you against God.
121. Those to whom We have given the scripture and they recite it as it truthfully deserves to be recited; they believe in it. As for those who disbelieve in it, they are the losers.
122. O Children of Israel, remember My blessings that I have bestowed upon you, and that I have preferred you over all the worlds.
123. And beware of a day when no soul can avail another soul, nor will any amendment be accepted from it, nor will any intercession help it; they will not be supported.
124. And Abraham was tested by commands from His Lord, which he completed. He said: “I will make you a leader for the people.” He replied: “And also from my progeny?” He said: “My pledge will not encompass the wicked.”
125. And We have made the Shrine a model for the people and a sanctuary. And take the role model of Abraham to assemble. And We entrusted to Abraham and Ishmael: “You shall purify My Shrine for those who visit, those who are devoted, and for those who yield and submit.“
126. And Abraham said: “My Lord, make this town a sanctuary, and provide for its inhabitants of the fruits for whoever believes in God and the last day.” He said: “As for he who rejects, I will let him enjoy for a while, then I will force him to the retribution of the Fire, what a miserable destiny!”
127. And as Abraham raised the foundation of the Shrine with Ishmael: “Our Lord accept this from us, You are the Hearer, the Knowledgeable.”
128. “Our Lord, and let us surrender to You and from our progeny a nation surrendering to You, and show us our rites and forgive us; You are the most Forgiving, Most Merciful.”
129. “Our Lord, and send amongst them a messenger from among themselves, that he may recite to them Your revelations and teach them the scripture and the wisdom, and purify them. You are the Noble, the Wise.”
130. And who would abandon the creed of Abraham except one who fools himself? We have selected him in this world, and in the Hereafter he is of the righteous.
131. When his Lord said to him: “Surrender”, he said: “I surrender to the Lord of the worlds.”
132. And Abraham enjoined his sons and Jacob: “O my sons, God Has selected the system for you, so do not die except as ones who have surrendered.”
133. Or were you present when death came to Jacob and he told his sons: “Who shall you serve after I am gone?”, they said: “Your god, and the god of your fathers Abraham, and Ishmael, and Isaac; One god and to Him we surrender.”
134. That was a nation that has passed away; to them is what they have earned, and to you is what you have earned; and you will not be asked regarding what they did.
135. And they said: “Be Jews or Nazarenes so that you may be guided!” Say: “No, rather the creed of Abraham, monotheism; for he was not one of those who set-up partners.”
136. Say: “We believe in God and in what was sent down to us and what was sent down to Abraham, and Ishmael, and Isaac, and Jacob, and the Patriarchs, and what was given to Moses and Jesus, and what was given to the prophets from their Lord; we do not make a distinction between any of them and to Him we surrender.”
137. So, if they believe exactly as you have believed, then they are guided; and if they turn away, then they are in opposition and God will suffice you against them, and He is the Hearer, the Knower.
138. Such is God’s coloring, and who better than God in coloring. And to Him we are in service.
139. Say: “Do you debate with us in God while He is our Lord and your Lord, and we have our work and you have your work, and to Him we are believers.”
140. “Or do you say that Abraham and Ishmael and Isaac and Jacob and the Patriarchs were all Jewish or Nazarene?” Say: “Are you more knowledgeable or is God?” Who is more wicked than one who conceals a testimony with him from God? God is not unaware of what you do.
141. That was a nation that passed away, to them is what they earned and to you is what you have earned; you will not be asked about what they did.
142. The foolish from amongst the people will say: “What has turned them away from the focal point that they were on?” Say: “To God is the east and the west, He guides whomsoever He wishes to a straight path.”
143. And as such, We have made you a balanced nation so that you may be witness over the people, and that the messenger may be witness over you. And We did not make the focal point that you were on except to know who follows the messenger from those who will turn on their heels. It was a great thing indeed except for those whom God had guided; God was not to waste your belief. God is Merciful and Compassionate over the people.
144. We see the shifting of your face towards the sky, We will thus set for you a focal point that will be pleasing to you: “You shall set your face towards the restricted Temple; and wherever you may be, you shall all set your faces towards it.” Those who have been given the scripture know it is the truth from their Lord. And God is not unaware of what you do.
145. And if you come to those who have been given the scripture with every sign they will not follow your focal point, nor will you follow their focal point, nor will some of them even follow the others focal point. And if you were to follow their desires after the knowledge that has come to you, then you would be one of the wicked.
146. Those to whom We have given the scripture know it as they know their own children; and a group of them hides the truth while they know.
147. The truth is from your Lord, so do not be one of those who doubt.
148. And to each is a direction that he will take, so you shall race towards good deeds. Wherever you may be, God will bring you all together. God is capable of all things.
149. And from wherever you go out, you shall set your face towards the restricted Temple; it is the truth from your Lord; and God is not unaware of what you do.
150. And wherever you go out, you shall set your face towards the restricted Temple. And wherever you may be you shall set your faces towards it; that the people will have no room for debate with you, except those of them who are wicked. You shall not fear them, but fear Me; so that I may complete My blessings upon you and that you may be guided.
151. As We have sent a messenger to you from amongst yourselves to recite Our revelations to you, and purify you, and teach you the scripture and the wisdom, and teach you what you did not know.
152. So remember Me that I may remember you, and be thankful to Me and do not disbelieve.
153. O you who believe, seek help through patience and the assembly, God is with the patient ones.
154. And do not say of those who are killed in the sake of God that they are dead; no, they are alive but you do not perceive.
155. And We will test you with some fear and hunger, and a shortage in money and lives and fruits. And give good news to those who are patient.
156. The ones who, when afflicted with adversity, they say: “We are to God and to Him we will return.”
157. To these will be assemblies from their Lord and a mercy, they are the guided ones.
158. The stone obelisk and its mirror image are amongst the symbols of God. So whosoever travels to the Shrine for Pilgrimage, or is merely passing through, commits no error that he should briefly visit them. And whoever donates for goodness, then God is Appreciative, Knowledgeable.
159. Surely those who conceal what We have sent down to them which was clear, and the guidance, after God Had made it clear in the scripture; these will be cursed by God and be cursed by those who curse.
160. Except those who repent and amend and make clear; for those I will accept their repentance, for I am the One who accepts repentance, the Most Merciful.
161. Surely, those who have disbelieved and then died as disbelievers; they will be cursed by God, and the Angels, and all the people.
162. They will abide therein forever, and the retribution will not be lightened for them, nor will they be reprieved.
163. And your god is but One god, there is no god but He; the Almighty the Most Merciful.
164. Surely, in the creation of heavens and earth, and the differences between night and day, and the ship that sails in the sea for the benefit of the people, and what God has sent down of water from the sky so He brings the earth back to life after it had died, and He sent forth from it every creature, and the movement of the winds and the clouds that have been designated between the earth and the sky are signs for a people that understand.
165. And from among the people are some who take other than God as His equals, they love them as they love God; but those who believe love God more strongly; and when those who were wicked see the retribution, they will see that all power belongs to God, and that God is severe in retribution.
166. When those who were followed will disown those who followed them, and they will see the retribution, and all excuses have abandoned them.
167. And those who followed them said: “If we could have a chance to disown them as they have disowned us.” It is such that God will show them their work which is regretted for them; they will not leave the Fire.
168. O people, eat of what is in the earth as good and lawful, and do not follow the steps of the devil, he is to you a clear enemy.
169. He only orders you to evil and sin, and that you may say about God what you do not know.
170. And if they are told: “Follow what God has sent down,” they say: “No, we will follow what we found our fathers doing.” What if their fathers did not understand anything and were not guided?
171. And the example of those who disbelieve is like one who repeats what he has heard of calls and shouts; deaf, dumb, and blind, they do not understand.
172. O you who believe, eat of the good things We have provided for you, and be thankful to God; if it is Him you serve.
173. He Has only forbidden for you what is already dead, and blood, and the meat of pig, and what was dedicated to other than God. Whoever finds himself forced out of need without disobedience or animosity, then there is no sin upon him. God is Forgiving, Merciful.
174. Surely, those who conceal what God Has sent down of the scripture, and they purchase with it a cheap price; they will not eat in their stomachs except the Fire, and God will not speak to them on the day of resurrection, nor will He purify them, and they will have a painful retribution.
175. These are the ones who have purchased straying for guidance, and retribution for forgiveness; they have no patience towards the Fire.
176. This is because God Has sent down the scripture with truth; and those who have disputed in the scripture are in far opposition.
177. Piety is not to turn your faces towards the east and the west, but piety is one who believes in God and the last day, and the Angels, and the scripture, and the prophets, and he gives money out of love to the near relatives, and the orphans, and the needy and the wayfarer, and those who ask, and to free the slaves, and he establishes the assembly, and he contributes towards betterment; and those who keep their pledges when they make a pledge, and those who are patient in the face of good and bad and when in despair. These are the ones who have been truthful, and they are the righteous.
178. O you who believe, equivalent execution in warfare has been decreed for you in the case of mass killings; the free for the free, and the slave for the slave, and the female for the female. Whoever is forgiven anything by his brother, then it is to be followed with good deeds and kindness towards him; that is alleviation from your Lord, and a mercy. Whoever transgresses after that, he will have a painful retribution.
179. And through equivalent execution in warfare, you will be protecting life, O people of understanding, that you may be righteous.
180. It is decreed for you that if death should come to any of you, that it is best if he leaves a will for his family and relatives out of goodness; this is a truth for the righteous.
181. Whoever alters it after having heard, then the sin will be upon those who alter it. God is Hearer, Knowing.
182. If anyone fears harm or sin from his beneficiary, then reconcile what is between them. God is Forgiving, Merciful.
183. O you who believe, fasting is decreed for you as it was decreed for those before you perhaps you may be righteous.
184. A limited number of days. Whoever of you is ill or traveling, then the same number from different days; and as for those who can do so but with difficulty, they may redeem by feeding the needy. And whoever does good voluntarily, then it is better for him. And if you fast it is better for you if you knew.
185. The month of scorching heat, in which the Quran was sent down as a guide and clarification of the guidance and the criterion. Whoever witnesses the month, then let him fast during it. And whoever is ill or traveling, then the same number from different days. God wants to bring you ease and not to bring you hardship; and you shall complete the count, and glorify God for what He Has guided you, that you may be thankful.
186. And if My servants ask you about Me, I am near answering the calls of those who call to Me. So let them respond to Me and believe in Me that they may be guided.
187. It has been made lawful for you during the night of fasting to approach your women sexually. They are a garment for you and you are a garment for them. God knows that you used to betray your souls so He Has accepted your repentance, and forgiven you; now you may approach them and seek what God Has written for you. And you may eat and drink until the white thread is distinct from the black thread of dawn; then you shall complete the fast until night; and do not approach them while you are devoted in the temples. These are God’s boundaries, so do not transgress them. It is thus that God makes His revelations clear to the people that they may be righteous.
188. And do not consume your money between you unjustly by bribing the decision makers so that you may consume a part of the other people’s money sinfully while you know!
189. They ask you regarding the new moons, say: “They are a timing mechanism for the people as well as for the Pilgrimage.” And piety is not that you would enter a home from its back, but piety is whomever is righteous and come to the homes from their main doors. And be aware of God that you may succeed.
190. And fight in the cause of God against those who fight you, but do not transgress, God does not love the aggressors.
191. And kill them wherever you find them, and expel them from where they expelled you, and know that persecution is worse than being killed. And do not fight them at the restricted Temple unless they fight you in it; if they fight you then kill them, thus is the reward of the disbelievers.
192. And if they cease, then God is Forgiving, Merciful.
193. And fight them so there is no more persecution, and so that the system is God’s. If they cease, then there will be no aggression except against the wicked.
194. What is done in the restricted month may be retaliated in the same month, and murder shall be punishable by execution. Whoever attacks you, then you shall attack him the same as he attacked you; and be aware of God, and know that God is with the righteous.
195. And spend in the cause of God, but do not throw your resources to disaster. And do kindness, for God loves those who do kindness.
196. And complete the Pilgrimage and the visit for God; if you cannot, then make what is easy of the animal sacrifice, and do not shave your heads until the animal sacrifice reaches its destination. Whoever of you is ill or has an affliction on his head, then you may redeem by fasting or giving a charity or a sacrifice. If you are secure, then whoever continues the visit until the Pilgrimage, then he shall provide what he can of the animal sacrifice. As for he who cannot find anything, then he must fast for three days during the Pilgrimage and seven when he returns; this will make a complete ten; this is for those whose family do not live near the restricted Temple. And be aware of God, and know that God is severe in retribution.
197. The Pilgrimage is in the months which have been marked. So whosoever decides to perform the Pilgrimage in them, then there shall be no sexual approach, nor vileness, nor baseless argument in the Pilgrimage. And any good that you do, God is aware of it; and bring provisions for yourselves, though the best provision is righteousness; and be aware of Me O people of understanding.
198. There is no sin upon you to seek goodness from your Lord. So when you emerge from the high place, then remember God at the symbols of restriction, and remember Him as He has guided you, for you were before that straying.
199. Then you shall disperse from where the people dispersed, and seek God’s forgiveness; God is surely Forgiving, Most Merciful.
200. When you have completed your rites, then remember God as you remember your fathers or even greater. From among the people are those who say: “Our Lord, give us from this world!”, but in the Hereafter he has no part.
201. And some of them say: “Our Lord, give us good in this world, and good in the Hereafter, and spare us from the retribution of the Fire.”
202. These will have a portion of what they have gained; and God is quick in judgment.
203. And remember God during a limited number of days. Whoever hurries to two days, there is no sin upon him; and whoever delays, there is no sin upon him if he is being righteous. And be aware of God, and know that it is to Him that you will be gathered.
204. And from among the people are those whose words you admire about this worldly life, but God is witness as to what is in his heart, for he is the worst in opposition.
205. And if he gains power, he seeks to corrupt the earth and destroy its crops, and people’s lineage. God does not like corruption.
206. And if he is told: “Be aware of God,” his pride leads to more sin. Hell shall be sufficient for him; what a miserable abode!
207. And from among the people is he who develops his soul by seeking God’s favour; God is kind to His servants.
208. O you who believe, join in peace, all of you, and do not follow the footsteps of the devil. He is to you a clear enemy.
209. But if you slip after the clarity has come to you, then know that God is Noble, Wise.
210. Are they waiting for God to come to them shadowed in clouds with the Angels? The matter would then be finished! And to God all matters will return.
211. Ask the Children of Israel how many clear signs did We give them? And whoever changes God’s favour after it has come to him, then God is Mighty in retribution.
212. This worldly life has been made pleasing to the disbelievers, and they mock those who believe. And those who are righteous will be above them on the day of resurrection; God provides for whoever He wishes without a price.
213. The people used to be one nation, then God sent the prophets as bearers of good news and warners, and He sent down with them the scripture with the facts so that they may judge between the people in what they were disputing. But after receiving the clarity, the people disputed in it due to animosity between them. And God guided those who believed with His permission regarding what they disputed in of the truth. And God guides whoever He wishes to a straight path.
214. Or did you expect that you would enter Paradise, while the example of those who were before you came to you; they were stricken with adversity and hardship, and they were shaken until the messenger and those who believed with him said: “When is God’s victory?” Yes indeed, God’s victory is near.
215. They ask you what they should spend, say: “What you spend out of goodness should go to your family and the relatives and the orphans, and the needy, and the traveller. And any good you do, God is fully aware of it.”
216. Warfare has been decreed for you while you hate it; and perhaps you may hate something while it is good for you, and perhaps you may love something while it is bad for you; God knows while you do not know.
217. They ask you about the restricted month: “Is there fighting in it?” Say: “Much fighting is in it, and to repel from the path of God and to disbelieve in it and the restricted Temple, and to drive its inhabitants out of it is far greater with God, and persecution is worse than being killed”. And they still will fight you until they turn you back from your system if they are able. And whoever of you turns back from his system, and he dies while disbelieving, then these have nullified their work in this life and the next; these are the people of the Fire, in it they will abide eternally!
218. Those who believe, and those who have immigrated and strived in the cause of God; these are seeking God’s mercy, and God is Forgiving, Merciful.
219. They ask you about intoxicants and gambling. Say: “In them is great harm, and a benefit for the people; but their harm is greater than their benefit.” And they ask you how much are they to spend, say: “The excess.” It is thus that God clarifies for you the revelations that you may think.
220. In this world and the next; and they ask you regarding the orphans, say: “To fix their situation is best, and if you are to care for them, then they are your brothers”. And God knows the corrupt from the good, and had God wished He could have made things difficult. God is Noble, Wise.
221. And do not marry the females who set-up partners until they believe. For a believing servant is better than one who sets-up partners even if she attracts you. And do not marry the males who set-up partners until they believe. For a believing servant is better than one who sets up partners even if he attracts you. Those invite to the Fire, while God is inviting to Paradise and forgiveness by His leave. He clarifies His revelations for the people that they may remember.
222. And they ask you about menstruation? Say: ”It is harmful, so retire yourselves sexually from the women during the menstruation, and do not approach them until they are cleansed. When they are cleansed, then you may approach them as God has commanded you.” God loves the repenters and He loves the cleansed.
223. Your women are a cultivation for you. So approach your cultivation as you wish towards goodness. And be aware of God and know that you will meet Him, and give good news to the believers.
224. And do not make God the subject of your casual oaths. Be pious and righteous and reconcile among the people; and God is Listener, Knower.
225. God will not call you to account for your casual oaths, but He will call you to account for what has entered your hearts. God is Forgiving, Compassionate.
226. For those who wish to divorce their wives, then they must wait four months. If they retract, then God is Forgiving, Most Merciful.
227. And if they insist on divorce, then God is Hearer, Knowledgeable.
228. And the divorced women shall hold themselves for three menstruation periods; and it is not lawful for them to conceal what God has created in their wombs, if they believe in God and the last day. And their husbands would still have a right to return them in this situation if they both wish to reconcile. And for what obligations the women are owed, so similarly must they fulfil their obligations. But the men will have a greater responsibility over them in this. And God is Noble, Wise.
229. Divorce may be done twice, then either they remain together equitably, or they separate with kindness. And it is not lawful for you to take back anything you have given the women unless you fear that they will not uphold God’s limits. So if you fear that they will not uphold God’s limits, then there is no sin upon them for what is given back. These are God’s limits so do not transgress them. And whoever shall transgress God’s limits, then these are the wicked.
230. So if he then divorces her after that, she will not be lawful for him until she marries another husband. If the other husband then divorces her, then there is no sin that they come back together if they think they will uphold God’s limits. These are God’s limits, He clarifies them for a people that know.
231. And if you divorce the women, and they reach their required interim, then you shall either reconcile with them equitably, or separate from them equitably. And do not reconcile with them so you can harm them out of animosity; whoever does so does wickedness to his soul. And do not take God’s revelations lightly. And remember God’s blessings towards you, and what was sent down to you of the scripture and the wisdom, He warns you with it. And be aware of God and know that God is Knowledgeable in all things.
232. And if you divorce the women, and they complete their interim period, then do not prevent them from remarrying their husbands if they amicably agree amongst themselves out of what is best. This is to remind any of you who believe in God and the last day, this is better for you and purer; and God knows while you do not know.
233. And the divorced mothers are allowed to suckle their children two full cycles, if they wish to complete the suckling. And the man for whom the child is born is responsible for both their provisions and clothing equitably. We do not burden a soul beyond its means. No mother shall be harmed because of her child, nor shall a father be harmed because of his child. And for the guardian is the same requirement. So if they wish to separate out of mutual agreement and council, then there is no sin upon them. And if you want to hire nursing mothers, then there is no sin upon you if you give back what you have been given equitably. And be aware of God, and know that God is watching over what you do.
234. And for those of you who die and leave widows behind, then their widows must wait for four months and ten days. So when they reach their required interim, then there is no sin upon you for what they do to themselves equitably. And God is Expert to what you do.
235. And there is no sin upon you if you openly propose marriage to these women, or you keep it between yourselves. God knows that you will be thinking of them, but do not date them secretly except to say what is good. And do not commit to the marriage vows until the required interim is reached in the scripture. And know that God knows what is in your souls, so be aware of Him, and know that God is Forgiving, Compassionate.
236. There is no sin upon you if you divorce the women before having sexual intercourse with them, or before agreeing to the dowry for them. Let them enjoy, the rich according to his means, and the poor according to his means. Enjoyment in good deeds, a responsibility for those in kindness.
237. And if you divorce them before having sexual intercourse with them, but you have already agreed to the dowry; then you must give half of what you have agreed, unless they forgive or the guardian over the marriage contract forgives. And if you forgive, it is closer to righteousness. And do not forget the favour between you; God is Seer over what you do.
238. Preserve the assemblies, the balanced assembly, and stand devoutly for God.
239. But if you are in a state of fear, then you may do so while walking or riding. If you become secure, then remember God as He Has taught you what you did not know.
240. And those of you who die and leave widows behind; a testimony to them that they may enjoy for one year without being made to vacate. If they leave then there is no sin upon you for what they did to themselves in goodness; and God is Noble, Wise.
241. And for the divorced women to enjoy equitably is an obligation upon the righteous.
242. It is such that God clarifies to you His revelations that you may comprehend.
243. Did you not see those who left their homes in groups and they were weary of death; God said to them: “Die,” then He resurrected them. God Has great favour over the people, but most people are not thankful.
244. And fight in the cause of God and know that God is the Hearer, the Knowledgeable.
245. Who will lend God a loan of goodness that He may multiply it for him many times over? God collects and He distributes, and to Him you will return.
246. Did you not see to the leaders of the Children of Israel after Moses, they said to their prophet: “Send us a king that we may fight in the cause of God;” he said: “Are you not concerned that if fighting is decreed upon you, you will then not fight?” They said: “And why should we not fight in the cause of God when we have been driven out from our homes with our children.” So it was, that when fighting was decreed for them they turned away, except for a few of them! God is fully aware of the wicked.
247. And their prophet said to them: “God Has sent Saul to you as a king.” They said: “How can he have the kingship when we are more deserving than him, and he has not been given an abundance of wealth?” He said: “God has chosen him over you and increased him in knowledge and stature.” God gives His kingship to whom He chooses; and God is Encompassing, Knowledgeable.
248. And their prophet said to them: “The sign of his kingship shall be that he brings to you the Tomb in which there is a tranquility from your Lord and the legacy of what was left behind by the people of Moses and the people of Aaron being carried by the Angels. In this is a sign for you if you are believers.”
249. So when Saul set out with the soldiers, he said: “God will test you with a river, whoever drinks from it is not with me, and whoever does not taste it is with me, except he who takes one scoop with his hand.” They all drank from it, except a few of them. So when he and those who believed with him crossed it, they said: “We have no power today against Goliath and his soldiers!” But the ones who understood that they would meet God said: “How many a time has a small group beaten a large group by God’s leave, and God is with the patient ones!”
250. And when they came forth to Goliath and his soldiers, they said: “Our Lord grant us patience, and make firm our foothold, and grant us victory over the disbelieving people.”
251. So they beat them by God’s leave, and David killed Goliath, and God gave him the kingship and the wisdom and taught him what he wished. And had it not been for God pushing the people to challenge one another, then the earth would have already been corrupted. But God has done favour over the worlds.
252. These are God’s revelations, We recite them to you with truth, and you are of the messengers.
253. Those messengers, We have preferred some over others; some of them talked to God, and He raised some of them in rank, and We gave Jesus the son of Mary the proofs and We supported him with the holy spirit. And had God wished, the people after them would not have fought after the proofs had come to them, but they disputed, some of them believed and some of them disbelieved. Had God wished they would not have fought, but God does whatever He wishes.
254. O you who believe, spend from what We have provided for you before a day will come when there is no trade, nor friendship, nor intercession; and the disbelievers are the wicked.
255. God, there is no god but He, the Living, the Sustainer. No slumber or sleep overtakes Him; to Him belongs all that is in heavens and in earth. Who will intercede with Him except by His leave. He knows their present and their future, and they do not have any of His knowledge except for what He wishes. His throne encompasses all of heavens of earth and is easy for Him to preserve them. He is the High, the Great.
256. There is no compulsion in this system, the proper way has been made clear from the wrong way. Whoever rejects evil, and believes in God, then he has grasped the most solid branch that will never break. God is Hearer, Knower.
257. God is the ally of those who believe, He brings them out of the darkness and into the light. As for those who reject, their allies are evil, they bring them out of the light and into the darkness; these are the people of the Fire, in it they will abide eternally.
258. Did the news come to you of the person who debated with Abraham regarding his Lord, because God had given him a kingship? Abraham said:” My Lord is the One who gives life and death,” he said: “I bring life and death.” Abraham said: “God brings the sun from the east, so you bring it from the west.” The one who disbelieved was confounded; and God does not guide the wicked people.
259. Or the one who passed through a town, where all its inhabitants had passed away. He said: “How can God possibly resurrect this after its death?” So God put him to death for one hundred lunar years, then He resurrected him. He said: “How long have you stayed here?” He said: “I have stayed here a day or part of a day.” He said: “No, you have stayed here for one hundred lunar years! Look at your food and drink, they have not changed, but look at your mule. And We will make you a sign for the people, and look at the bones how We grow them, then We cover them with meat.” So when it was clear to him what happened, he said: “I now know that God is capable over all things!”
260. And Abraham said: “My Lord, show me how you resurrect the dead.” He said: “Do you not already believe?” He said: “I do, but it is so my heart can be relieved.” He said: “Choose four birds, then cut them, then place parts of the birds on each mountain, then call them to you; they will come racing towards you.” And know that God is Noble, Wise.
261. The example of those who spend their money in the cause of God is like a seed that sprouts forth seven pods, in each pod there is one hundred seeds; and God multiplies for whoever He chooses, and God is Encompassing, Knowledgeable.
262. Those who spend their money in the cause of God, then they do not follow what they have spent with insult nor harm; they will have their reward with their Lord, there is no fear over them nor will they grieve.
263. Kind words and forgiveness is far better than a charity that is followed by harm. God is Rich, Compassionate.
264. O you who believe, do not nullify your charities with insult and harm; like the one who spends his money in vanity to show the people, and he does not believe in God and the last day. His example is like a stone on which their is dust, then it is subjected to heavy rain which leaves it bare. They cannot do anything with what they earned; and God does not guide the rejecting people.
265. And the example of those who spend their money seeking God’s grace, and to save their souls, is like the example of a garden on a high ground which is subjected to a heavy rain, and because of that it produces double its crop! And if no heavy rain comes, then light rain is enough. And God is Seer over all you do.
266. Does anyone of you desire that he have a garden with palm trees and grapevines, and rivers flowing beneath it, and in it for him are all kinds of fruits, then he is afflicted with old age and his progeny is weak, and a whirlwind with fire strikes it and it all burns? It is thus that God makes clear for you the signs that you may reflect.
267. O you who believe, spend from the good things that you have earned, and from what We have brought forth from the earth. And do not choose the rotten out of it to give, while you would not take it yourselves unless you close your eyes regarding it. And know that God is Rich, Praiseworthy.
268. The devil promises you poverty and orders you to evil, while God promises forgiveness from Him and favour. God is Encompassing, Knowledgeable.
269. He grants wisdom to whom He chooses, and whoever is granted wisdom, has been given much good. Only those with understanding will remember.
270. And whatever you spend out of your monies, or whatever you pledge as a promise, then God knows it. The wicked have no supporters.
271. If you openly give charity, then it is acceptable; but if you conceal it and give it to the poor, then that is better for you. And He cancels some of your sins; and God is Expert to all that you do.
272. You are not responsible for their guidance, but it is God who will guide whoever He wishes. And whatever you spend out of goodness is for your own souls. And anything you spend should be in seeking God’s direction. And whatever you spend out of goodness will be retuned to you, and you will not be wronged.
273. As for the poor who face hardship in the cause of God, and they cannot travel in the land; the ignorant ones think they are rich from their modesty; you know them by their features, they do not ask the people at all. And what you spend out of goodness, God is fully aware of it.
274. Those who spend their money in the night and in the day, secretly and openly, they will have their reward with their Lord, there is no fear over them nor will they grieve.
275. Those who consume financial interest, they do not rise except as the one who is being beaten by the devil out of direct touch. That is because they have said: “Trade is like financial interest.” While God Has made trade lawful, and He has forbidden financial interest. Whoever has received understanding from His Lord and ceases, then he will be forgiven for what was before this and his case will be with God. But whoever returns, they are the people of the Fire, in it they will abide eternally.
276. God wipes out financial interest and He grants growth to charities. And God does not love every wicked sinner.
277. Those who believe and do good works, and establish the assembly, and contribute towards betterment; they will have their rewards with their Lord and there is no fear over them nor will they grieve.
278. O you who believe, be aware of God and give up what is left of the financial interest if you are truly believers.
279. And if you will not do this, then take notice of a war from God and His messenger; but if you repent, then you will have back your principal money, you will not be wronged nor will you wrong.
280. If the person is facing insolvency, then you shall wait until he becomes able. And if you relinquish it as a charity it is better for you if you knew.
281. And be aware of a day when you will be returned to God then every soul will be paid what it has earned, they will not be wronged.
282. O you who believe, if you borrow debt for a future period, then you shall record it. And let a scribe of justice record it for you; and let not the scribe refuse to record as God Has taught him. Let him record and let the person who is borrowing dictate to him, and let him be aware of God, and let him not reduce from it anything. If the one who is borrowing is immature or weak or he cannot dictate himself, then let his guardian dictate with justice. And bring two witnesses from amongst your men, if they are not two men, then a man and two women from whom you will accept their testimony, so that if one of them becomes misled, then the one can remind the other. And let the witnesses not refuse to come if they are called. And do not fail to record it no matter how small or large until its maturity. That is more just with God and better for the testimony, and better that you do not have doubts; except if it is a trade to be done on the spot between you, then their is no sin upon you if you do not record it. And have witnesses if you trade. No scribe shall be harmed nor any witness; for if you do so then it is vileness on your part, and be aware of God and God teaches you and God is aware of all things.
283. And if you are traveling or do not find a scribe, then a pledge of collateral. If you trust each other then let the one who was entrusted deliver his trust, and let him be aware of God, and do not hold back the testimony. And whoever holds it back, then he has sinned in his heart, and God is aware of what you do.
284. To God is what is in the heavens and in earth, and if you declare what is in your souls or hide it, God will call you to account for it. He will forgive whom He wishes, and punish whom He wishes, and God is capable of all things.
285. The messenger believes in what was sent down to him from his Lord. And the believers, all who believe in God, and His angles, and His scriptures, and His messengers; we do not differentiate between any of His messengers; and they said: “We hear and obey, forgive us O Lord, and to you is our destiny.”
286. God does not burden a soul beyond its means. For it is what it earns, and against it is what it earns. “Our Lord, do not mind us if we forget or make mistakes; our Lord, do not place upon us a burden as you have placed upon those before us; our Lord, do not place upon us what we cannot bare; pardon us, and forgive us, and have mercy on us; you are our patron, grant us victory over the disbelieving people.”
In the name of God, the Almighty, the Most Merciful
2. God, there is no god but He, the Living, the Sustainer.
3. He sent down to you the scripture with truth, authenticating what is already present with him; and He sent down the Torah and the Injeel.
4. From before as a guidance for the people, and He sent down the Criterion. Those who rejected God’s revelations, they will have a painful retribution, and God is Noble, able to Revenge.
5. To God nothing is hidden in the earth or in the heavens.
6. He is the One who pictures you in the wombs as He pleases. There is no god but Him, the Noble, the Wise.
7. He is the One who sent down to you the scripture, from which there are law giving verses; they are the essence of the scripture; and others which are similar to each other. As for those who have disease in their hearts, they will follow what is similar of it seeking to confuse, and seeking to derive an interpretation. But none know its interpretation except God and those who are well founded in knowledge. They say: “We believe in it, all is from our Lord.” And none will remember except the people of understanding.
8. “Our Lord, do not make our hearts deviate after You have guided us, and grant us from You a mercy; You are the Grantor.”
9. “Our Lord, You will gather the people for a day in which there is no doubt; God does not break His appointment.”
10. As for those who rejected, neither their money nor their children will avail them anything from God. They are the fuel for the Fire.
11. Like the behaviour of the people of Pharaoh and those before them. They rejected Our signs so God took them for their sins. God is awesome in retribution.
12. Say to those who have rejected: “You will be defeated and gathered towards Hell, what a miserable abode!”
13. There was a sign for you in the two groups that met. One was fighting in the cause of God, and the other was rejecting. They saw them as twice their number with their eyes. And God supports with His victory whom He wills. In this is a lesson for those with vision.
14. It has been adorned for people to love the desire of the most modern things, and buildings, and ornaments made from gold and silver, and trained horses, and the livestock, and fields; they are the enjoyment of the world, and with God are the best goods.
15. Say: “Shall I inform you of what is greater than all this? For those who believe in their Lord are gardens with rivers flowing beneath, in it they abide eternally, and pure mates, and an acceptance from God. And God is watcher over the servants.”
16. The ones who say: “Our Lord, we believe, so forgive us our sins, and spare us the retribution of the Fire.”
17. The patient, and the truthful, and the devout, and the spenders, and the seekers of forgiveness in the last hours of the night.
18. God bears witness that there is no god but He, as do the Angels, and those with knowledge, He is standing with evenness. There is no god but He, the Noble, the Wise.
19. The system with God is surrender, and those who received the scripture did not dispute except after the knowledge came to them out of jealousy between them. And whoever rejects God’s signs, then God is swift in judgment.
20. If they debate with you, then say: “I have surrendered myself to God, as well as those who follow me.” And say to those who have received the scripture and the Gentiles: “Have you surrendered?” If they have surrendered then they are guided, and if they turn away, then you are only to deliver, and God is watcher over the servants.
21. Those who reject God’s revelations and kill the prophets without truth, and kill those who order justice from amongst the people; inform them of a painful retribution.
22. These are the ones whose works will be lost in this world, and in the Hereafter they will have no supporters.
23. Did you not see those who were given a portion of the scripture being invited to God’s scripture to judge between them, then a group of them turns away while they are adverse?
24. That is because they said: “The Fire will not touch us except a number of days,” and they were arrogant by what they invented in their system.
25. How shall it be when We gather them on the day in which there is no doubt; and every soul shall receive what it has earned, and they will not be wronged.
26. Say: “O God, Possessor of kingship; you grant kingship to whom You please, and revoke kingship from whom You please, and honour whom You please, and humiliate whom You please; in Your hand is goodness. You are capable of all things.”
27. “You blend the night into the day, and blend the day into the night; and you bring the living out of the dead, and bring the dead out of the living; and You provide for whom You wish with no reckoning.”
28. Let not the believers take the rejecters as allies instead of the believers. And whoever does so will have nothing with God, except if you are cautious of them as they deserve. And God warns you of Himself, and to God is the destiny.
29. Say: “If you hide what is in your chests or you reveal it, God will know.” And He knows what is in the heavens and what is in the earth; and God is capable of all things.
30. The day every soul will find what good it had done present, and what bad it had done; it wishes that between them was a great distance. And God warns you of Himself, and God is Compassionate with the servants.
31. Say: “If you love God then follow me so God will love you and forgive your sins.” God is Forgiver, Merciful.
32. Say: “Obey God and the messenger.” But if they turn away, then God does not like the rejecters.
33. God Has selected Adam, and Noah, and the family of Abraham, and the family of Imran over the worlds.
34. A progeny each from the other, and God is Hearer, Knower.
35. Thus the wife of Imran said: “My Lord, I have vowed to You what is in my womb, dedicated, so accept from me, You are the Hearer, the Knower.”
36. So when she delivered it she said: “My Lord, I have delivered a female,” and God is fully aware of what she delivered, “And the male is not like the female, and I have named her Mary, and I seek refuge for her and her progeny with You from the outcast devil.”
37. So her Lord accepted a good acceptance, and made her grow into a good growth, and charged Zachariah with her. Every time Zachariah entered on her in the Temple enclosure, he found provisions with her. He said: “O Mary, from where did you get this?” She said: “It is from God, God provides for whom He wishes without reckoning.”
38. It was then that Zachariah called on his Lord, he said: “My Lord, grant me from You a good progeny, You are hearer of the prayers.”
39. The Angels called to him while he was assembled in the temple enclosure: “God gives you good tidings of John, authenticating the word from God, and a master, and steadfast, and a prophet from the upright.”
40. He said: “My Lord, how can I have a son when old age has reached me and my wife is sterile?” He said: “It is as such that God does what He pleases.”
41. He said: “My Lord, make for me a sign” He said: “Your sign is not to speak to the people for three days except by symbol, and remember your lord greatly, and glorify at dusk and dawn.”
42. And the Angels said: “O Mary, God Has selected you and cleansed you, and He has selected you over the women of the worlds.”
43. “O Mary, be devoted to your Lord and submit and yield with those who yield.”
44. This is from the news of the unseen that We inspire to you. You were not with them when they drew straws as to which one of them will be charged with Mary; you were not with them when they disputed.
45. And the Angels said: “O Mary, God gives good news of a word from Him whose name is the Messiah, Jesus the son of Mary. Honourable in this world and in the Hereafter, and from among those who are made close.”
46. “And he speaks to the people from the cradle, and in old age, and from among the upright.”
47. She said: “My lord, how can I have a son when no human has touched me?” He said: “It is thus that God creates what He wills, when He decrees a command, He merely says to it “Be”, and it is.”
48. And He teaches him the scripture and the Wisdom and the Torah and the Injeel.
49. And a messenger to the Children of Israel: “I have come to you with a sign from your Lord; that I create for you from clay in the form of a bird, then I blow into it and it becomes a bird by God’s leave, and I heal the blind and the leapers, and give life to the dead by God’s leave, and I prophesise for you what you shall eat and what to store in your homes. In that is a sign for you if you are believers.”
50. “And authenticating what is present with me of the Torah, and to make lawful some of that which was forbidden to you; and I have come to you with a sign from your Lord, so be aware of God and obey me.”
51. “God is my Lord and your Lord, so serve Him, this is a Straight Path.”
52. So when Jesus felt their rejection, he said: “Who are my supporters to God?” The disciples said: “We are God’s supporters, we believe in God and we bear witness that we have surrendered.”
53. “Our Lord, we believe in what You have sent down, and followed the messenger, so record us with those who bear witness.”
54. And they schemed and God schemed, but God is the best schemer.
55. God said: “O Jesus, I will let you die, and raise you to Me, and cleanse you of those who have rejected, and make those who have followed you above those who rejected until the day of judgment; then to Me is your return so I will judge between all of you in what it was that you disputed.”
56. “As for those who have rejected, I will punish them severely in this world and in the Hereafter, they will have no supporters.”
57. “And as for those who believed and did good works, God will pay them their reward; God does not like the wicked.”
58. This We recite to you from the revelation and the Wise Reminder.
59. The example of Jesus with God is similar to that of Adam; He created him from dust, then He said to him “Be” and he was.
60. The truth is from your Lord, so do not be of those who doubt.
61. Whoever debates with you in this after the knowledge has come to you, then say: “Let us call our children and your children, our women and your women, our selves and yourselves, then, let us call out, and we shall make God’s curse upon the liars.”
62. This is the narration of truth, there is no god but God; and God is the Noble, the Wise.
63. And if they turn away, then God is aware of the corruptors.
64. Say: “O people of the scripture, let us come to a common understanding between us and between you; that we do not serve except God, and do not set-up anything at all with Him, and that none of us takes each other as patrons beside God.” If they turn away, then say: “Bear witness that we have surrendered.”
65. “O people of the scripture, why do you debate us regarding Abraham when the Torah and the Injeel were not sent down except after him? Do you not understand?”
66. Here you have debated in what you knew; so why then do you debate in what you do not know? God knows while you do not know.
67. Abraham was neither a Jew nor a Nazarene, but he was a monotheist who surrendered; he was not of those who set-up partners.
68. The most legitimate people for Abraham are those who followed him and this prophet and those who believed; and God is the supporter of the believers.
69. A group from the people of the scripture wished that they could misguide you, but they only misguide themselves and they do not notice.
70. “O people of the scripture, why do you reject God’s signs while you are bearing witness?”
71. “O people of the scripture, why do you dress the truth with falsehood and conceal the truth while you know?”
72. And a group from among the people of the scripture said: “Believe in what was revealed to those who believed during the beginning of the day, and reject it by the end of it, perhaps they will return.”
73. “And do not believe except to those who follow your system,” say: “The guidance is God’s guidance,” that anyone should be given similar to what you have been given, or that they debate with you at your Lord, say: “The bounty is in God’s hand, He gives it to whom He chooses, and God is Encompassing, Knowledgeable.”
74. He specifies with His mercy whom He chooses, and God is with the Great Bounty.
75. And from among the people of the scripture are those whom if you entrust him with an ounce he gives it back to you, and there are those whom if you entrust with a Dinar he will not return it to you unless you are standing over him. That is because they said: “We have no obligation towards the Gentiles.” They say about God lies while knowing.
76. Indeed, anyone who fulfils his pledge and is aware of God, then God loves the righteous.
77. The ones that purchase with God’s pledge and their oaths a small price, those will have no portion in the Hereafter, and God will not speak to them nor look at them on the day of resurrection nor purify them, and they will have a painful retribution.
78. And from amongst them is a group that twist their tongues with the scripture so that you may think it is from the scripture, while it is not from the scripture, and they say it is from God while it is not from God, and they say about God lies while they know.
79. It is not for a human that God would give him the scripture and the authority and the prophethood, then he would say to the people: “Be servants to me rather than God!”, but: “be devotees for what you have been taught of the scripture, and for what you studied.”
80. Nor does he order you that you take the Angels and the prophets as patrons. Would he order you to rejection after this, while you have surrendered?
81. And God took a covenant from the prophets: “For what I have given you of the scripture and wisdom. Then a messenger will come to you authenticating what is with you. You will believe in him and support him.” He said: “Do you testify, and agree to this burden?”, they said: “We testify.” He said: “Then bear witness, and I am with you bearing witness.”
82. Whoever turns away after that, then they are the wicked ones.
83. Is it other than God’s system that they desire, when those in the heavens and the earth have surrendered to Him voluntarily or by force? And to Him they will be returned.
84. Say: “We believe in God and what was sent down to us and what was sent down to Abraham and Ishmael and Isaac and Jacob and the Patriarchs, and what was given to Moses and Jesus and the prophets from their Lord, we do not make any distinction between them, and to Him we surrender.”
85. And whoever follows other than surrender as a system, it will not be accepted from him, and in the Hereafter he is of the losers.
86. How can God guide a people who have rejected after believing, and they witnessed that the messenger is true, and the Clarity had come to them? God does not guide the wicked people.
87. To these the punishment will be that God’s curse will be upon them as well as that of the Angels and the people all together!
88. Eternally they will abide in it, the retribution will not be lightened for them, nor will they be reprieved.
89. Except those who repent after this and make amends, then God is Forgiver, Merciful.
90. Those who have rejected after their belief then increased in rejection, their repentance will not be accepted, they are the strayers.
91. Those who have rejected and died while they are rejecters, the earth full of gold to be ransomed with will not be accepted from any of them. For these there will be a painful retribution and they will have no supporters.
92. You will not reach piety until you spend from what you love; and whatever you spend, God is aware of it.
93. All the food was made lawful to the Children of Israel except what Israel forbade on himself before the Torah was sent down. Say: “Bring the Torah and recite it if you are truthful.”
94. Whoever invents lies about God after that, these are the wicked.
95. Say: “God bears truth. Follow the creed of Abraham, monotheism, and he was not of those who set-up partners.”
96. The first Shrine established for the people is the one in Bakk’a, blessed, and a guidance for the worlds.
97. In it are clear signs, the station of Abraham, and whoever enters it will be secure. And God is owed from mankind to pilgrim to the Shrine, whoever can make a path to it. And whoever rejects, then God has no need of the worlds.
98. Say: “O people of the scripture, why do you reject God’s signs, while God is witness over what you do?”
99. Say: “O people of the scripture, why do you repel from the path of God those who believe? You wish to twist it while you were witness. And God is not unaware of what you do.”
100. O you who believe, if you obey a group of those who received the scripture they will turn you after your belief into rejecters!
101. And how can you reject when God’s revelations are being recited to you and with you is His messenger? And whoever holds firmly to God has been guided to the straight path.
102. O you who believe, revere God as He deserves to be revered, and do not die except as ones who have surrendered.
103. And hold firmly to the rope of God, all of you, and do not be separated. And remember God’s blessing upon you when you were enemies and He united your hearts, and you became with His blessing as brothers; and you were on the verge of a pit of fire and He saved you from it; it is thus that God clarifies for you His signs that you may be guided.
104. And let there be a nation amongst you which calls towards good, and orders kindness, and deters evil. And these are the successful ones.
105. And do not be like those who separated and differed after the clarity had come to them. And for them is a painful retribution.
106. The day on which faces will be whitened and faces will be blackened; as for those whose faces will be blackened: “Did you reject after believing?, taste the retribution for what you rejected.”
107. As for those whose faces are whitened, they are in God’s mercy, in it they abide eternally.
108. These are God’s revelations, We recite them to you with truth. God does not want wickedness for the worlds.
109. And to God is all that is in heavens and in earth; and to God the events will be returned.
110. You were the best nation that emerged to the people, you ordered towards kindness and deterred from evil, and believed in God. If the people of the scripture believed it would have been better for them; from amongst them are the believers, but most are wicked.
111. They will not harm you except for being an annoyance, and if they fight you they will turn their backs, then they will not be supported.
112. They are stricken with humiliation wherever they are found, except through a rope from God and a rope from the people. And they stayed in God’s wrath and were stricken with humiliation; that is because they were disbelieving in God’s signs and killing the prophets without just cause; that is for what they disobeyed and were transgressing.
113. They are not all equal, from the people of the scripture are a nation that is upright, they recite God’s revelations during parts of the night while submitting.
114. They believe in God and the last day and order kindness and deter from evil, and they hasten in goodness; these are of the righteous ones.
115. And what they do of good will not be turned back, and God is aware of the righteous.
116. As for those who rejected, neither their money nor their children will avail them anything from God. These are the people of the Fire, in it they abide eternally.
117. The example of what they spend in this world is like a wind in which there is a frost; it afflicts the field of the people who wronged their souls and destroyed it. God did not wrong them, but it was their souls that they wronged.
118. O you who believe do not take protection from any besides yourselves, they will only disrupt you greatly. They wish that you suffer; the hatred appears from their mouths and what their chests hide is greater! We have made clear for you the signs if you comprehend.
119. Here you are loving them while they do not love you, and you believe in the whole scripture. And if they meet you they say: “We believe,” and if they are alone they bite their fingers out of frustration at you. Say: “Die in your frustration, God is aware of what is in the chests.”
120. If any good befalls you it disturbs them, and if any bad befalls you they rejoice with it. And if you are patient and righteous their planning will not harm you at all. God is Encompassing all they do.
121. Recall when you departed from your family to prepare for the believers their stations for battle, and God is Hearer, Knowledgeable.
122. When the two parties from among you were concerned that they would fail; while God was their supporter. In God the believers should trust.
123. God had granted you victory at Badr while you had been the lesser, so revere God that you may be thankful.
124. When you said to the believers: “Is it not enough for you that God would supply you with three thousand of the Angels sent down?”
125. Indeed, if you are patient and are righteous and they come attack you, He will supply you with five thousand of the Angels battle trained.
126. And God did not give this except as good news to you, and so that your hearts may be assured with it. Victory is only from God, the Noble, the Wise.
127. To stop a portion of those who reject, or to disgrace them; then they will turn back frustrated.
128. You will have no say in the matter, for He may pardon them, or punish them; for they are wicked.
129. And to God is what is in the heavens and the earth, He forgives whom He pleases, and He punishes whom He pleases; and God is Forgiving, Merciful.
130. O you who believe, do not consume financial interest multiplied, and revere God that you may succeed.
131. And be aware of the Fire that has been prepared for the rejecters.
132. And obey God and obey the messenger so that you may obtain mercy.
133. And race towards forgiveness from your Lord and a Paradise whose width is as the width of the heavens and earth, it has been prepared for the righteous.
134. The ones who spend in prosperity and adversity, and who repress anger, and who pardon the people; God loves the good doers.
135. And those who, if they commit any evil, or wrong themselves, they remember God and seek forgiveness for their sins. And who forgives the sins except God? And they do not persist in what they have done while they know.
136. To these the reward will be a forgiveness from their Lord and Gardens with rivers flowing underneath, eternally abiding in it. Excellent is the reward of the workers.
137. Many nations have come before you, so roam the earth and see how the punishment of the liars was.
138. This is a clarification for the people and a reminder for the righteous.
139. Do not be weak, and do not grieve, and you will have the upper hand, if you are believers.
140. If you are wounded, then know that the other group is also wounded; and such are the situations, We rotate them between the people, so that God will know those who believe, and so He may take martyrs from you. God does not like the wicked.
141. And God will test those who believe and He will destroy the rejecters.
142. Or did you think that you would enter Paradise without God knowing those who would strive amongst you and those who are the patient ones?
143. And you used to wish for death before you met it, so now you see it right in-front of you!
144. Mohammed is but a messenger of whom many messengers have passed before him. If he dies or is killed will you turn back on your heels? And whoever turns back on his heels, he will not harm God in the least. And God will reward the thankful.
145. It is not permitted for a soul to die except by God’s leave in an appointed record. And whoever wants the rewards of this world We give him of it, and whoever wants the reward of the Hereafter We give him of it. And We will reward the thankful.
146. And many prophets had a large number of devotees fighting with them. They did not crumble by what afflicted them in the cause of God, nor did they become weak, nor did they become discouraged; and God loves the patient.
147. And they did not say except: “Our Lord, forgive us our sins and our transgression in certain matters, and make firm our foothold, and grant us victory over the rejecting people.”
148. So God gave them the reward of this world and the best reward of the Hereafter; and God loves the good doers.
149. O you who believe, if you obey those who have rejected, then they will turn you back on your heels and you will turn back as losers.
150. It is God who is your Patron, and He is the best victor.
151. We will cast terror in the hearts of those who rejected, because of what they have set-up besides God even though He never sent down any authority to, and their destiny is the Fire. Miserable is the abode of the wicked.
152. God Has made true on His promise that you would win over them by His leave; until you failed and disputed in the matter and disobeyed after He Had shown you what you cherished; some of you want this world, and some of you want the Hereafter; then He turned you away from them to test you, and He Has pardoned you. God is with great favour over the believers.
153. As you turned away and did not even glance towards anyone, and the messenger was calling to you from the rear; so He gave you distress over distress so that you will not be sad for what has passed you, nor for what afflicted you. And God is Expert over what you do.
154. Then He sent down to you after the distress sanctity in sleepiness, it overtook a group of you, and another group was worried about themselves, they were thinking about God other than the truth, the thoughts of the days of ignorance. They say: “Do we have any say in this matter?” Say: “The entire matter is for God.” They hide in their souls what they do not show to you, they say: “If we had a say in the matter at all then none of us would have been killed here.” Say: “If you were inside your own homes, then the ones who have been marked for death would have gone forth to their resting place.” God will test what is in your chests and bring out what is in your hearts. God is Knowledgeable as to what is in the chests.
155. Those of you who turned away on the day that the two hosts met, it was the devil who caused them to deviate because of some of what they had gained; God Has pardoned them, God is Forgiver, Compassionate.
156. O you who believe do not be like those who rejected and said to their brothers when they were marching in the land or on the offensive: “If they were here with us they would not have died nor been killed.” God will make this a regret in their hearts, and God grants life and death, and God is watching over what you do.
157. And if you are killed in the cause of God or die, then a forgiveness from God and mercy is far greater than all they put together.
158. And if you die or are killed, then to God you will be gathered.
159. It was a mercy from God that you were soft towards them; had you been harsh and mean hearted, they would have dispersed from you, so pardon them and ask forgiveness for them, and consult them in the matter; but when you are convinced, then put your trust in God; God loves those who put their trust.
160. If God grants you victory then none can defeat you, and if He abandons you then who can grant you victory after Him? And towards God the believers should put their trust.
161. It was not for any prophet that he should embezzle, and he who embezzles will be brought with what he has embezzled on the day of resurrection, then every soul will be given what it has earned without being wronged.
162. Is one who follows the pleasure of God, as one who draws the wrath of God and whose abode is Hell? What a miserable destiny!
163. They are grades with God, and God is seer of what they do.
164. God Has bestowed favour upon the believers by sending them a messenger from amongst themselves reciting His revelations and bettering them and teaching them the scripture and the wisdom, and they were before in manifest darkness.
165. It was when defeat struck you; while you were defeated twice similarly; you said: “Where is this coming from?” Say: “It is from yourselves.” God is capable of all things.
166. And what you suffered on the day the two hosts met was by God’s leave, and to let the believers know.
167. And to let those who are hypocrites know, that they were told: “Come fight in the cause of God or defend,” they said: “If we knew how to fight we would have followed you.” They are closer to disbelief then they are to belief. They say with their mouths what is not in their hearts, and God is aware of what they conceal.
168. Those who remained and said to their brothers: “If they obeyed us they would not have been killed.” Say: “Then avert death away from yourselves if you are truthful!”
169. And do not think that those who are killed in the sake of God are dead. No, they are alive at their Lord receiving a bounty.
170. Happy with what God Has granted them from His favour, and they rejoice for those who have yet to follow after them. There is no fear over them nor do they grieve.
171. They rejoice with God’s bounty and favour; God will not waste the reward of the believers.
172. Those who have answered God and the messenger after they were afflicted with wounds. For those of them who did good and were righteous is a great reward.
173. The ones who the people said to them: “The people have gathered against you, so be fearful of them,” but it only increased their faith and they said: “God is enough for us, and He is the best to put our trust in.”
174. So they came back with a reward from their Lord and a bounty, no harm would touch them. And they had followed the pleasure of God, and God is the One with great pleasure.
175. It is only the devil who creates fear upon his allies, so do not fear them, but fear Me if you are believers.
176. And do not be saddened by those who rush into disbelief. They will not harm God in the least. God does not wish to make for them any share in the Hereafter, and they will have a painful retribution.
177. Those who have purchased rejection with belief will not harm God in the least, and they will have a painful retribution.
178. And let not those who reject think that We are providing for them out of the goodness of themselves. We are only providing for them so that they may increase in transgression, and they will have a humiliating retribution.
179. God was not to leave the believers as they were without distinguishing the rotten from the good. And God was not to let you know the future, but God chooses from His messengers whom He wishes; so believe in God and His messengers. And if you believe and are righteous, then you will have a great reward.
180. And let not those who are stingy with what God Has given them of His bounty think that it is good for them, no, it is evil for them. They will be surrounded by what they were stingy with on the day of resurrection. And to God will be the inheritance of the heavens and the earth; and God is Expert over what you do.
181. God Has heard the words of those who said: “God is poor and we are rich!” We will record what they have said and their killing of the prophets without just cause; and We will say: “Taste the retribution of the Fire!”
182. This is for what their hands have brought forth, and God does not wrong the servants.
183. Those who said: “God Has pledged to us that we should not believe in a messenger unless he brings us an offering which the fire will devour.” Say: “Messengers have come to you before me with clarity and with what you have said, so why did you kill them if you were truthful?”
184. If they reject you, then messengers before you were also rejected; they came with clarity and the Psalms, and the scripture of enlightenment.
185. Every soul will taste death, and you will be recompensed your wages on the day of resurrection. Whoever is swayed from the Fire and entered into Paradise, he has indeed won. This worldly life is nothing more than the enjoyment of vanity.
186. We will test you in your money and in your selves, and you will hear from those who have been given the scripture from before you and from those who set-up partners much annoyance.
187. And God took the covenant of those who were given the scripture: “You will make it clear to the people and not conceal it.” But they threw it behind their backs and purchased with it a cheap price. Miserable indeed is what they have purchased.
188. Do not think that those who are happy with what they have been given, and they love to be praised for what they did not do; do not think they are saved from the punishment. For them is a painful retribution.
189. And to God is the sovereignty of heavens and earth, and God is capable of all things.
190. In the creation of heavens and earth, and the difference between night and day, are signs for those with understanding.
191. Those who remember God while standing, and sitting, and on their sides, and they ponder in the creation of the heavens and the earth: “Our Lord you did not create this without purpose, be You glorified, spare us the retribution of the Fire!”
192. “Our Lord, whoever You admit to the Fire has been disgraced. The wicked will have no supporters.”
193. “Our Lord, we have heard a caller inviting to the faith: “Believe in your Lord,” so we have believed. Our Lord forgive us our evil deeds and remit our sins, and let us die with the obedient.”
194. “Our Lord, and grant us what You have promised through Your messengers, and do not embarrass us on the day of resurrection. You do not break the promise.”
195. Their Lord answered them: “I do not waste the work of any worker from among you, be you male or female, you are all from each other. For those who emigrated and were driven-out from their homes and were harmed in My cause, and they fought and were killed, I will remit for them their sins and admit them to gardens with rivers flowing beneath; a reward from God; and God Has the best reward.”
196. Do not be deceived by the movement of those who disbelieved throughout the land.
197. A brief enjoyment, then their abode is Hell. What a miserable abode!
198. As for those who revere their Lord, they will have gardens with rivers flowing beneath, eternally they reside in it as a dwelling from God. What is with God is better for the obedient.
199. And from the people of the scripture are those who believe in God and what was sent down to you and what was sent down to them; fearful to God, they do not purchase with His revelations a cheap price. These will have their reward with their Lord. God is quick in reckoning.
200. O you who believe, be patient and call for patience, and bond together and revere God that you may succeed.
In the name of God, the Almighty, the Most Merciful
1. O people, be aware of your Lord who has created you from one soul and He created from it its mate and sent forth from it many men and women; and be aware of God whom you ask about, and the relatives. God is watcher over you.
2. And give the orphans their money, and do not replace the good with the bad, and do not consume their money to your money; for truly it is a great sin!
3. And if you fear that you cannot be just to the orphans, then marry off those who have consented to you of the women by two’s and three’s and four’s. But if you fear you will not be fair, then you may retain one, or those who are still dependants. This is best that you do not face poverty.
4. And give the women their property willingly, and if they remit any of it to you of their own will, then you may take it with good feelings.
5. And do not give the immature ones their money that God Has entrusted to you, and spend on them from it and clothe them, and speak to them in goodness.
6. And test the orphans until they reach the age of marriage, then if you determine in them sound judgment, then pay them their money, and do not deliberately consume it wastefully nor quickly before they grow up. And whoever is rich, then let him not claim anything, and if he is poor then let him consume only in goodness. If you pay to them their money, then make a witness for them, and God is enough for Reckoning.
7. For the men is a portion from what the parents and the relatives left behind, and for the women is a portion from what the parents and relatives left behind, be it little or much; a forced portion.
8. And if the distribution is attended by the relatives and the orphans and the needy, then you shall give them part of it and say to them a kind saying.
9. And what if it were themselves who had left behind them a weak progeny, would they not be concerned for them? Let them revere God and let them say what is appropriate.
10. Those who consume the money of the orphans illicitly, in fact they are consuming fire in their bellies, and they will endure the Blaze.
11. God directs you regarding your children: “To the male shall be as that given to two females. If they are only females and more than two, then they will have one third of what is inherited. And if there is only one female, then she will have one half, and to his parents each one of them one sixth of what is inherited if he has children. If he has no children and his parents are the heirs, then to his mother is one third; if he has siblings then to his mother is one sixth. All after a will is carried through or a debt. You parents and your children, you do not know which is closer to you in benefit, a directive from God, God is Knowledgeable, Wise.”
12. And for you is half of what your wives leave behind if they have no children; but if they have a child then to you is one quarter of what they leave behind. All after a will is carried through or a debt. And to them is one quarter of what you leave behind if you have no child; but if you have a child then to them is one eighth of what you leave behind. All after a will is carried through or a debt. And if a man or a woman has no one, but has a brother or sister, then to each one of them is one sixth, but if they are more than this then they are to share in one third. All after a will is carried through or a debt, which does not cause harm. A directive from God, and God is Knowledgeable, Compassionate.
13. These are God’s limits, and whoever obeys God and His messenger, He will admit him to gardens with rivers flowing beneath, eternally abiding therein. This is the greatest victory.
14. And whoever disobeys God and His messenger, and transgresses His limits, He will admit him to a Fire in which he abides eternally, and he will have a humiliating retribution.
15. And those females who commit lewdness together from among your women, then bring four witnesses over them from amongst you; if they bear witness, then you shall restrict them in the homes until death takes them, or God makes for them a way out.
16. And those males who commit it together from amongst you, then you shall annoy them. If they repent and amend, then leave them alone. God is Redeemer, Merciful.
17. Repentance is only for those who commit sin out of ignorance and then repent soon after; these will be forgiven by God, God is Knowledgeable, Wise.
18. And their will be no repentance for those who commit sin until death comes upon one of them, then he says: “I repent now!”, nor for those who die while they are disbelievers. To those We have prepared a painful retribution.
19. O you who believe, it is not lawful for you to inherit the women by force, nor that you become harsh with them to take away some of what you have given them, unless they commit a clear lewdness. And live with them in kindness. If you dislike them, then perhaps you may dislike something and God makes in it much good.
20. And if you wish to replace one wife instead of another, and you have given one of them an ounce, then do not take anything from it. Would you take it by falsehood while it is clearly a sin?
21. And how can you take it when you have become privy to each other, and the women have taken from you a strong covenant.
22. And do not marry what you fathers had married from the women, except what has already been done. It is a lewdness, and an abhorrence, and a bad path.
23. Forbidden for you are your mothers, and your daughters, and your sisters, and your fathers’ sisters, and your mothers’ sisters, and the daughters of your brother, and the daughters of your sister, and your foster mothers who suckled you, and your sisters from suckling, and the mothers of your wives, and your step-daughters residing in your homes from your wives which you have already consummated the marriage with; if you have not consummated the marriage then their is no sin upon you; and the wives of your sons that are from your seed, and that you join between two sisters except what has already been done. God is Forgiving, Merciful.
24. And the already married from the women, except those who become widowed; God’s scripture is over you; and permitted for you is what is beyond this, if you are seeking with your money to be protected and not for illicit sex. As for those whom you have already had joy with them, then you shall give them their wage as an obligation. There is no sin upon you for what you agree to after the obligation. God is Knowledgeable, Wise.
25. And whoever of you cannot afford to marry the believing independent women, then from the still dependant believing young women. God is more aware of your faith, some of you to each other. You shall marry them with the permission of their parents and give them their wage in kindness; to be protected, not for illicit sex or taking lovers. If they become protected, then any of them who comes with lewdness shall have half the punishment of what is for the independent women of the retribution. This is for those who fear hardship from among you. But if you are patient it is better for you, and God is Forgiver, Merciful.
26. God wants to make clear for you and guide you to the ways of those before you, and pardon you, and God is Knowledgeable, Wise.
27. And God wants to pardon you, but those who follow their lusts want that you would be diverted into a great diversion.
28. God wants to make easy for you; and mankind was created weak.
29. O you who believe, do not consume your money between you unjustly, except through a trade which is mutually agreed by you. And do not kill yourselves; God is Merciful towards you.
30. And whoever does so out of animosity and wickedness, We will cast him to a Fire; and this for God is very easy.
31. If you avoid the major sins that you are forbidden against, then We will cancel your existing sins and admit you to a generous entrance.
32. And do not envy for what God Has favoured some of you over the others. For the men is a portion of what they gained, and for the women is a portion of what they gained. And ask God from His favour, God is knowledgeable over all things.
33. And for each We have made inheritors for what was left behind by the parents and the relatives. And those whom you are committed to by oaths, you shall give them their portion. God is witness over all things.
34. The men are to support the women by what God Has endowed them over one another and for what they spend of their money. The upright women who are attentive, and keep private the personal matters for what God keeps watch over. As for those women from whom you fear a disloyalty, then you shall advise them, then abandon them in the bedchamber, then separate from them; if they obey you, then do not seek a way over them; God is High, Great.
35. And if you fear a separation between them, then send a judge from his family and a judge from hers. If they want to reconcile, then God will bring them together. God is Knowledgeable, Expert.
36. And serve God and do not set-up anything with Him, and be kind to the parents, and the relatives, and the needy, and the neighbour who is of kin, and the neighbour next door, and the friend far away, and the traveller, and those who are still dependent. God does not like the arrogant, the boastful.
37. Those who are stingy and order the people to stinginess, and they conceal what God Has given them from His bounty. We have prepared for these disbelievers a painful retribution.
38. And those who spend their money to show-off to the people, and they do not believe in God or the last day. And whoever has the devil as his companion, then what a miserable companion!
39. What is wrong with them if they believed in God and the last day and spent from God’s provisions? God is aware of them.
40. Indeed, God does not wrong an atom’s weight; and if it is good He will double it. And He grants from Himself a great reward.
41. How is it then when We bring forth from every nation a witness, and bring you as a witness over these?
42. On that day those who rejected and disobeyed the messenger will wish that the earth would swallow them; but they cannot hide anything said from God.
43. O you who believe, do not come near the assembly while you are drunk, until you know what you are saying. Nor dirty, except for travellers, until you wash. And if you are ill or traveling or one of you has excretion or you had sexual contact with the women, and could not find water: then you shall make ablution with clean soil by wiping your faces and hands. God is Pardoning, Forgiving.
44. Did you not see those who have been given a portion of the scripture? They purchased straying, and they want you to stray from the path.
45. God is fully aware of your enemies; and God is enough as a supporter, and God is enough as a victor.
46. From amongst the Jews there are those who take the words out of context, and they say: “We hear and disobey, and listen but not let any listen, and look after us,” in a twisting of their tongues and as a mockery of the system! And had they said: “We hear and obey, and listen, and watch over us,” it would have been better for them and more upright; but God Has cursed them for their disbelief, they do not believe except very little.
47. O you who have received the scripture, believe in what We have sent down authenticating what is with you, before We cast down faces and turn them on their backs or curse them as the people of the Sabbath were cursed. And God’s will is always done.
48. God does not forgive that partners be set-up with Him, and He forgives what is beside that for whom He wills. Whoever sets-up partners with God Has indeed invented a great sin.
49. Did you not see those who promote themselves? No, it is God who promotes whom He wills, and they will not be wronged in the least.
50. See how they invent upon God the lies; is that not enough as a clear sin?
51. Did you not see those who were given a portion of the scripture, they believe in witchcraft and evil, and they say to those who disbelieved: “You are better guided than those who believed the path.”
52. These are the ones whom God Has cursed, and whoever God curses, you will not find for him a victor.
53. Or would they have a portion of the sovereignty? If so, then they would not give the people a speck.
54. Or do they envy the people for what God Has given them of His bounty? We have given the family of Abraham the scripture and the wisdom; We have given them a great kingship.
55. Some of them believed in it, and some of them turned from it. And in Hell will be enough flames.
56. Those who have rejected Our signs, We will admit them to a Fire. Every time their skins are cooked, We replace them with other skin that they may taste the retribution. God is Noble, Wise.
57. And those who believe and do good, We will admit them gardens with rivers flowing beneath, eternally they abide therein, in it they will have pure mates, and We will admit them in a vast shade.
58. God orders you to deliver anything you have been entrusted with to its owners. And if you judge between the people, then you shall judge with justice. It is always the best that God prescribes for you. God is Hearer, Seer.
59. O you who believe, obey God and obey the messenger and those in office amongst you. But if you dispute in any matter, then you shall refer it to God and His messenger if you believe in God and the last day. That is better and more suitable for knowing.
60. Did you not see those who claimed they believed in what was sent down to you and what was sent before you? They wanted to seek judgment using evil, while they were ordered to reject it. It is the devil who wants to lead them far astray.
61. And if they are told: “Come to what God Has sent down and to the messenger,” you see the hypocrites turning away from you strongly.
62. Why then, when a tragedy befalls them for what their hands have brought forth do they come to you swearing by God that they only wanted to do good and reconcile?
63. These are a people whom God knows what is in their hearts, so turn away from them and advise them, and speak to their souls with a clear saying.
64. We do not send a messenger except to be obeyed by God’s leave. And if when they had wronged themselves they came to you and sought God’s forgiveness, and the messenger sought forgiveness for them, they would have then found God to be Pardoning, Merciful.
65. No, by your Lord, they will not believe until they make you judge in what they dispute with each other, then they will not find in their souls any animosity for what you have decided, and they will submit totally.
66. And had We decreed for them: “Kill yourselves,” or “Leave your land,” they would not have done so except for a few of them. And if they had done what they were advised with, it would have been better for them and added to strengthen them.
67. Then We would have given them from Us a great reward.
68. And We would have guided them a Straight Path.
69. And whoever obeys God and the messenger will be among those whom God Has blessed from the prophets and the truthful and the martyrs and the upright. What an excellent companionship!
70. That is the bounty from God; and God knows what is best.
71. O you who believe, take your precaution by going out in clusters, or going out all together.
72. And from among you will be those that would lag behind, so that if disaster afflicts you he would say: “God Has blessed me that I was not a martyr with them!”
73. And if favour from God benefits you, he will speak as if there had been affection between you and him: “Oh, I wish I had been with them so I would win a great prize.”
74. Let those who seek to purchase the Hereafter instead of this world fight in the cause of God. And whoever fights in the cause of God and is killed or attains victory, then We will grant him a great reward.
75. And why do you not fight in the cause of God, when the weak amongst the men and women and children say: “Our Lord, bring us out of this town whose people are wicked, and grant us from Yourself a Supporter, and grant us from Yourself a Victor!”
76. Those who believe fight in the cause of God, while those who reject fight in the cause of evil; so fight the supporters of the devil, for the planning of the devil is weak.
77. Did you not see those who were told: “Hold back your hands, and establish the assembly, and contribute towards betterment.” But when fighting was decreed for them, a group of them feared the people as much as they feared God or even more so. And they said: “Our Lord, why did You decree fighting for us?, if only You would delay for us till another time.” Say: “The enjoyment of this world is little, and the Hereafter is far better for those who are aware; you will not be wronged in the least.”
78. Wherever you may be, death will find you, even if you are in fortified towers. If any good befalls them, they say: “This is from God,” and if any bad befalls them, they say: “This is from you!” Say: “All is from God;” what is wrong with these people, they barely understand anything said!
79. Any good that befalls you is from God, and any bad that befalls you is from yourself. We have sent you as a messenger to the people and God is enough as a witness.
80. Whoever obeys the messenger has obeyed God; and whoever turns away, We have not sent you as a guardian over them.
81. And they say: “Obedience,” but when they emerge from you a group of them prepares for other that what you have said, and God records what they planned, so turn away from them and put your trust in God. God is enough for your trust.
82. Do they not reflect on the Quran? If it was from any other than God they would have found vast discrepancies in it.
83. And if any matter regarding security, or fear, comes to them they make it publicly known, but if they had referred it to the messenger and to those in authority from them then it would have been known by those who studied it from them. And had it not been for God’s grace upon you and His mercy, you would have followed the devil, except for a few.
84. So fight in the cause of God; none are burdened except by yourselves. And enjoin the believers: “Perhaps God will put a stop to the might of those who disbelieved.” And God is far Mightier and far more Punishing.
85. Whoever intercedes a good intercession, he will have a reward of it; and whoever intercedes an evil intercession, he will receive a share of it. And God Has control over all things.
86. And if you are greeted with any greeting, then return an even better greeting or return the same. God is Reckoning over all things.
87. God, there is no god but He. He will gather you for the day of resurrection in which there is no doubt. Who is more truthful in saying than God?
88. What is the matter with you that you are divided into two groups over the hypocrites, when God Has cast them back for what they have earned? Do you want to guide those whom God misguides? Whoever God causes to be misguided, you will never find for him a way.
89. They hope that you would reject as they rejected, then you would be the same. Do not take any of them as allies until they emigrate in the cause of God. If they turn away, then take them and kill them where you find them; and do not take from them any ally or supporter.
90. Except for those who reach a people between whom you have a covenant, or if they come to you with a reluctance in their chests to fight you or to fight their own people. Had God willed He would have given them strength and they would have fought you. But if they retire from you, and did not fight you, and they offer you peace; then God does not make for you a way against them.
91. You will find others who want to be safe amongst you and safe amongst their own people. Every time they are returned to the test, they fall back in it. If they do not withdraw from you, and offer you peace, and restrain their hands, then you shall take them and kill them where you find them. For these We have given you a clear authority.
92. And it is not for a believer to kill another believer except by accident. And whoever kills a believer by accident, then he shall set free a believing slave, and give compensation to the family; except if they remit it. If he was from a people who are enemies to you, and he was a believer, then you shall set free a believing slave. And if he was from a people between whom you had a covenant, then a compensation to his family, and set free a believing slave. Whoever does not find, then the fasting of two months sequentially as a repentance from God; God is Knowledgeable, Wise.
93. And whoever kills a believer intentionally, then his reward shall be Hell, eternally abiding therein, and God will be angry with him, and curse him, and for him is prepared a great retribution.
94. O you who believe, when you strike in the cause of God then do so after clarifying, and do not say to those who greet you with peace: “You are not a believer!” You are seeking the vanity of this world; but with God are many riches. That is how you were before, but God favoured you, so clarify. God is expert over what you do.
95. Not equal are those who stayed behind from the believers; except those disabled; with those who strived in the cause of God with their money and lives. God Has preferred those who strive with their money and lives over those who stayed behind by a grade; and to both God Has promised goodness; and God Has preferred the strivers over those who stay by a great reward.
96. Grades from Him and forgiveness and a mercy. God is Forgiving, Merciful.
97. Those whom the Angels put to death, while they had wronged their souls; they said: “What situation were you in?”, they said: “We were oppressed on earth.” They said: “Was God’s earth not wide enough that you could emigrate in it?” To these their abode will be Hell; what a miserable destiny!
98. Except for those oppressed from the men, women, and children who could not devise a plan nor could be guided to a way.
99. For these, perhaps God will pardon them. God is Pardoner, Forgiving.
100. Whoever emigrates in the cause of God will find in the earth many spoils and a bounty. And whoever leaves his home emigrating to God and His messenger, then is overcome by death; his reward has fallen to God, and God is Forgiving, Merciful.
101. And if you are on the offensive in the land, then there is no harm that you make the assembly brief, if you fear that the disbelievers will try you. The disbelievers are to you a clear enemy.
102. And if you are with them and you establish the assembly for them, then let a group from amongst them stand with you and let them take their weapons; and when they have submitted then let them stand guard behind you; and let a group who has not yet assembled come and assemble with you, and let them be wary and take their weapons with them. The rejecters hope that you would neglect your weapons and goods so they can come upon you in one blow. There is no sin upon you if there is harm to you from rain, or if you are ill, that you put down your weapons, but be wary. God Has prepared for the rejecters a humiliating retribution.
103. So when you are done with the assembly, then remember God while standing, or sitting, or on your sides. Then, when you are relieved, you shall establish the assembly. Certainly, the assembly for the believers is a scheduled record.
104. And do not falter in the pursuit of the remaining group. If you are feeling pain, then they are also feeling pain as you are; and you seek from God what they do not seek. God is Knowledgeable, Wise.
105. We have revealed to you the scripture with truth that you may judge between the people by that which God Has shown you, and do not be an advocate for the treacherous.
106. And seek forgiveness from God; God is Forgiver, Merciful.
107. And do not argue on behalf of those who betray themselves. God does not like those who are betrayers, sinners.
108. They may conceal this from the people, but they do not conceal it from God, and He was with them when they schemed what He does not approve of the sayings. God is Encompassing what they do.
109. Here you are arguing on their behalf in this world, but who will argue on their behalf with God on the day of resurrection? or who will be their sponsor?
110. And whoever does any evil, or wrongs himself, then seeks God’s forgiveness; he will find God Forgiving, Merciful.
111. And whoever earns any sin, then he has brought it on himself. And God is Knowledgeable, Wise.
112. And whoever does a mistake or sin, then blames it on an innocent person; he has incurred falsehood and a clear sin.
113. And had it not been for God’s favour upon you and His mercy, when a group of them were insistent on misguiding you; they would not have misguided except themselves, nor will they harm you in anything. And God Has sent down to you the scripture and the wisdom, and He has taught you that which you did not know. God’s grace upon you is great.
114. There is no good in most of what they desire, except whoever orders a charity or kindness or reconciliation between the people. And whoever does this seeking God’s favour, We will give him a great reward.
115. And whoever is hostile to the messenger after the guidance has been made clear to him, and he follows other than the path of the believers; We will grant him what he has sought and deliver him to Hell; what a miserable destination.
116. God does not forgive to have partners set-up with Him, but He forgives other than that for whom He pleases. Whoever sets-up partners with God has indeed strayed a far straying.
117. They are only calling on females beside God. Indeed, they are only calling on a persistent devil.
118. God Has cursed him; and he had said: “I will take from Your servants a forced portion.”
119. “And I will misguide them and make them desire, and I will command them, so that they will mark the ears of the livestock, and I will command them so they will make change to God’s creation.” Whoever takes the devil as a supporter other than God, then he has indeed lost a great loss.
120. He promises them and makes them desire, but what the devil promises them is only vanity.
121. For these, their abode shall be Hell, they will find no escape from it.
122. As for those who believe and do good work, We will admit them gardens with rivers flowing beneath, eternally they will abide therein. God’s promise is truth; and who is more truthful in saying than God?
123. It will not be by what you desire, nor by what the people of the scripture desire. Whoever works evil, he will be paid by it; and he will not find for himself other than God any supporter or victor.
124. And whoever works good be he male or female, and he is a believer, then these will be admitted to Paradise, and they will not be wronged in the least.
125. And who is better in the system than one who surrenders himself to God, and is a good doer, and he followed the creed of Abraham in monotheism? And God Has taken Abraham as a friend.
126. And to God is what is in heavens and in the earth; God is Encompassing over all things.
127. And they seek a ruling regarding the women, say: “God will give you a ruling regarding them and what is being recited to you in the scripture regarding the female orphans whom you wish to marry off, but have not given them what was decreed for them; as well as the weak from the children: That you stand for the orphans in equality.” Whatever good you do, then God is aware of it.
128. And if a woman fears from her husband disloyalty, or desertion, then there is no sin for them to reconcile between themselves; and reconciliation is good. And the souls are brought by need. And if you are kind and do right, then God is expert over what you do.
129. And you will not be able to be fair towards the women even if you make every effort; so do not sway too greatly and leave her as one hanging in a void. And if you reconcile and do right, then God is Forgiving, Merciful.
130. And if they separate, then God will provide for each of them from His bounty. God is Vast, Wise.
131. And to God is what is in the heavens and the earth; and We have recommended to those who were given the scripture before you, and you, to be aware of God. And if you reject, then to God is all that is in heavens and in earth; God is Rich, Praiseworthy.
132. And to God is all that is in the heavens and all that is in the earth; and God is enough as a Caretaker.
133. O you people, if He wills, He could make all of you cease to exist; then He would bring others in your place. God is most capable to do this.
134. Whoever seeks the reward of this world, then with God is the reward of this world and the Hereafter. God is Hearing, Watchful.
135. O you who believe, stand with justice as witnesses to God, even if against yourselves, or the parents or the relatives. Even though he may be rich or poor, then God is more worthy of them, so do not follow your desires from being just. And if you twist or turn away, then God is Expert over what you do.
136. O you who believe: Believe in God and His messenger, and the scripture which was sent down to His messenger, and the scripture that was sent before. And whoever rejects God, and His Angels, and His scriptures, and His messengers, and the last day; then he has strayed a far straying.
137. Those who believe, then reject, then believe, then reject, then they increase in rejection; God was neither to forgive them nor to guide them to the path.
138. Give news to the hypocrites that they will have a painful retribution.
139. Those who take the rejecters as allies instead of the believers: “Do they seek glory with them?” All glory belongs to God.
140. And it has been sent down to you in the scripture, that if you hear God’s revelations being rejected and ridiculed in, then do not sit with them until they move on to a different subject; if not, then you are like them. God will gather the hypocrites and the disbelievers in Hell all together.
141. Those who linger and observe you, if you have a victory from God they say: “Were we not with you?” And if the rejecters have success, they say: “Did we not side with you and deter the believers from you?” God will judge between you on the day of resurrection, and God will not grant the rejecters any success over the believers.
142. The hypocrites seek to deceive God, while He is deceiving them; and if they rise to the assembly, they do so lazily, only to show the people; they do not remember God except very little.
143. They are swaying in-between, neither belonging to this group nor to that group. Whoever God will misguide, you will not find for him a way.
144. O you who believe, do not take the rejecters as allies instead of the believers. Do you want God to have a reason against you?
145. The hypocrites will be in the lowest level of the Fire; and you will not find for them a victor.
146. Except those who repent, and amend, and hold fast to God, and purify their system to God; then these will be with the believers. And God will grant the believers a great reward.
147. What would God want with your punishment if you were only thankful and believed? God is Appreciative, Knowledgeable.
148. God does not like that any negative sayings be publicized, except if one is wronged. God is Hearer, Knowledgeable.
149. If you reveal what is good or hide it, or forgive what is bad, then God is Pardoner, Capable.
150. Those who rejected God and His messengers, and they want to make a distinction between God and His messengers, and they say: “We believe in some and reject some!”, and they desire to take a path in-between.
151. These are the true rejecters; and We have prepared for the rejecters a humiliating retribution.
152. And those who believe in God and His messengers and do not make a distinction between any of them, We will give them their rewards. And God is Forgiving, Merciful.
153. The people of the scripture ask you to bring down to them a scripture from the heavens. They had asked Moses for even more than that, for they said: “Let us see God plainly!”, so the lightning took them for their wickedness. Then they took the calf after the clarity had come to them, and We pardoned them for this; We gave Moses a clear authority.
154. And We raised the mount above them for the covenant they took, and We said to them: “Enter the gate in submission,” and We said to them: “Do not transgress the Sabbath,” and We took from them a solemn covenant.
155. So, for the breaking of their covenant, and their rejection of God’s signs, and their killing of the prophets without justice, and their saying: “Our hearts are layered over.” Indeed, God Has stamped upon their hearts because of their rejection; they do not believe, except for a few.
156. And for their rejection and them saying about Mary a great falsehood.
157. And their saying: “We have killed the Messiah Jesus the son of Mary, the messenger of God!” They did not kill him, nor did they crucify him, but it appeared to them as if they had. Those who dispute are in doubt of him, they have no knowledge except to follow conjecture; they did not kill for certainty.
158. For God raised him to Himself; and God is Noble, Wise.
159. And from among the people of the scripture will be those who believed in him as to his death, and on the day of resurrection he will be witness against them.
160. Because of the wickedness from those who are Jews, We made forbidden to them the good things that were lawful to them; and for their deterring many from the path of God.
161. And for them taking financial interest when they were told not to, and for them consuming peoples money unjustly. We have prepared for the disbelievers amongst them a painful retribution.
162. But those of them who are firm in knowledge, as well as the believers, they believe in what was sent down to you and what was sent down before you; and those who establish the assembly, and those who contribute towards betterment, and those who believe in God and the last day; to these We will give them their reward greatly.
163. We have inspired you as We have inspired Noah and the prophets after him. And We inspired Abraham, and Ishmael, and Isaac, and Jacob, and the Patriarchs, and Jesus, and Job, and Jonah, and Aaron, and Solomon; and We have given David the Psalms.
164. And messengers of whom We have narrated to you from before, and messengers We have not narrated to you; and God spoke to Moses directly.
165. Messengers who were bearers of good news and warners, so that there will be no excuse for the people with God after the messengers. God is Noble, Wise.
166. But God bears witness for what He has sent down to you with His knowledge, and the Angels bear witness; and God is enough as a witness.
167. Those who have rejected and turned away from the path of God, they have strayed a far straying.
168. Those who have rejected and did wrong, God was not to forgive for them, nor guide them to a path.
169. Except to the path of Hell, in it they will abide eternally. For God this is very easy.
170. O people, a messenger has come to you with truth from your Lord, so believe; that is better for you. And if you disbelieve, then to God is what is in heavens and earth. And God is Knowledgeable, Wise.
171. O people of the scripture, do not overstep in your system, nor say about God except the truth. Jesus the son of Mary was no more than God’s messenger and His word which He delivered to Mary, and a spirit from Him. So believe in God and His messengers, and do not say: “Three.” Cease, for it is better for you. God is only One god, be He glorified that He should have a son! To Him is all that is in the heavens and what is in the earth. God is enough as a caretaker.
172. The Messiah is not too proud to be a servant to God, nor are the Angels who are close to Him. Whoever is too proud from His service, and is arrogant, then He will gather them all towards Him together.
173. As for those who believe and do good works, He will give them their rewards and increase for them from His bounty. And as for those who are too proud and arrogant, He will punish them a painful retribution, and they will not find any beside God a supporter or victor.
174. O people, a proof has come to you from your Lord, and We have sent down to you a guiding light.
175. As for those who believe in God and hold fast to Him, He will admit them in a mercy from Him and a bounty, and He will guide them to Himself, a Straight Path.
176. They seek a ruling from you, say: “God gives you the ruling for those who have no descendants. If a person passes away and has no children but has a sister, then she shall receive half of what he leaves behind. And he will inherit her fully if she has no child. However, if he has two sisters, then they will receive two thirds of what he left behind; and if he has brothers, male and female, then the male shall receive twice what the female receives.” God makes clear to you that you do not stray; God is aware of all things.
In the name of God, the Almighty, the Most Merciful
1. O you who believe, honour your contracts. Made lawful for you are all the animals of the livestock, except that which is being recited to you, and what you are not allowed to hunt of the game while you are under restriction. God decrees as He pleases.
2. O you who believe, do not disregard God’s symbols, nor the restricted month, nor the guidance, nor what is tagged, nor the sanctity of the restricted Shrine for those seeking a bounty from their Lord and a blessing. And when they are permitted for you, then you may hunt. And let not the hatred of another people make you turn away from the restricted Temple that you aggress. And bond together in piety and righteousness, and do not bind together in sin and aggression. And be aware of God, for God’s retribution is severe.
3. Forbidden to you is that which is already dead, and running blood, and the meat of pig, and what was sacrificed to other than God, and that which has been strangled, and that which has been beaten to death, and that which has fallen from a height, and that which has been gored, and that which the wild animals have eaten from except what you managed to rescue, and what has been slaughtered on alters, and that you divide by the arrows of chance. This is all vile. Today the rejecters have given up from your system, so do not fear them, but fear Me. Today I have perfected your system for you, and completed My blessings upon you, and I have accepted Islam as the system for you. So, whoever is forced by severe hunger and not seeking sin, then God is Forgiving, Merciful.
4. They ask you what was made lawful to them, say: “All the good things have been made lawful for you, and what the trained dogs and birds catch, you teach them from what God teaches you”. So eat from what they have captured for you and mention God’s name upon it, and be aware of God. God is quick in reckoning.
5. Today, the good things have been made lawful to you, and the food of those who have been given the scripture is lawful for you, and your food is lawful for them; and the independent from the believing women, and the independent from the people of the scripture before you, if you have given them their dowries, protected, chaste, and not seeking to take lovers. And whoever rejects belief, then his work has fallen, and in the Hereafter he is of the losers.
6. O you who believe, if you rise to attend the assembly, then wash your faces and your hands up to the elbows, and wipe you heads and your feet to the ankles; and if you are filthy, then become clean; and if you are ill or traveling or you have excreted, or you have sexually touched the women, and you could not find water, then you shall do ablution from clean soil; you shall wipe your faces and your hands. God does not want to make any hardship over you, but He wants to cleanse you and to complete His blessings upon you that you may be appreciative.
7. And recall God’s blessings over you and His covenant that He Has bound you with, for which you have said: “We hear and obey,” and be aware of God; for God knows what is inside the chests.
8. O you who believe, stand for God and be witnesses for justice, and let not the hatred towards a people make you avoid being just. Be just, for it is closer to righteousness, and be aware of God. God is expert over what you do.
9. God Has promised those who believe and do right that they will have forgiveness and a great reward.
10. And those who reject and deny Our revelations, they are the dwellers of Hell.
11. O you who believe, recall God’s blessings upon you when a group desired to aggress against you, and God restrained their hands from you. And reverence God. And in God the believers should put their trust.
12. God Has taken the covenant of the Children of Israel and sent from them twelve representatives, and God said: “I am with you if you establish the assembly, and contribute towards betterment, and believe in My messengers, and support them, and give God a loan of righteousness; then I will cancel your sins and admit you into gardens with rivers flowing beneath.” Whoever rejects after this from you, then he has strayed from the path.
13. But because of them breaking their covenant, We have cursed them, and made their hearts become hardened; they take the words out of context; and they forgot much of what they were reminded of. And you will still discover betrayal in them except for a few; so pardon them and overlook; God loves the good doers.
14. And from among those who have said: “We are Nazarenes,” We have taken their covenant and they have forgotten much of what they were reminded of; so We planted between them animosity and hatred till the day of resurrection; and God will inform them of what they had done.
15. O people of the scripture, Our messenger has come to you to clarify for you much of what you were hiding from the scripture, and to pardon over much. A light has come to you from God and a clarifying scripture.
16. God guides with it whoever follows His acceptance, to the ways of peace; and He brings them out of the darkness and into the light by His leave; and He guides them to a Straight Path.
17. Rejecters indeed are those who have said: “God is the Messiah the son of Mary.” Say: “Who has any power against God if He wanted to destroy the Messiah son of Mary, and his mother, and all who are on earth!” And to God is the sovereignty of heavens and earth and all that is in-between; He creates what He pleases. God is capable of all things.
18. And the Jews and the Nazarenes said: “We are God’s children, and His loved ones.” Say: “Then why does He punish you for your sins?” No, you are merely humans from what He has created. He forgives whom He pleases, and He punishes whom He pleases. And to God is the sovereignty of heavens and earth and all that is in-between, and to Him is the destiny.
19. O people of the scripture, Our messenger has come to clarify for you after a lack of messengers; so that you cannot say: “No bearer of good news or warner has come to us;” for a bearer of good news and a warner has come to you; and God is capable of all things.
20. And Moses said to his people: “My people, remember God’s favour upon you that he made amongst you prophets, and made you kings, and he gave you what He had not given any from the worlds.”
21. “My people, enter the holy land that God Has decreed for you, and do not turn your backs, or you will become losers.”
22. They said: “O Moses, in it are a mighty people, and we will not enter it until they leave. So when they leave, then we will enter it.”
23. Two men who were among those aware, and God had bestowed upon both of them, said: “Enter upon them through the gate, if you enter it then you will be the victors; and put your trust in God if you are believers.”
24. They said: “O Moses, we will never enter it as long as they are in it, so go you and your Lord and fight, we will stay right here!”
25. He said: “My Lord, I do not posses except myself and my brother, so separate between us and between the wicked people.”
26. He said: “Then it has become forbidden for them for forty years, and they will be lost in the land.” Do not be sorrowful over the wicked people.
27. And recite for them the news of Adam’s two sons in truth. They had both made an offering, and it was accepted from one of them, and not accepted from the other. He said: “I will kill you!”; he said: “God only accepts from the righteous.”
28. “If you stretch your hand to kill me, I will not stretch my hand to kill you, for I fear God, the Lord of the worlds.”
29. “I want you to have both my sin as well as your own sin, and you will then be among the dwellers of the Fire. Such is the reward of the wicked.”
30. So he found it in himself to kill his brother; so he killed him. He thus became one of the losers.
31. So God sent forth a raven to scratch the land and show him how to deal with the wickedness inflicted upon his brother. He said: “O my, am I not able to be like this raven and deal with the wickedness inflicted upon my brother!” So he became of those who regretted.
32. It is because of this that We have decreed for the Children of Israel: “Anyone who kills a person who has not committed murder, or who has not committed corruption in the land; then it is as if he has killed all the people! And whoever spares a life, then it is as if he has given life to all the people.” Our messengers had come to them with clarification, but many of them are, after this, in the earth corrupting.
33. The recompense of those who fight God and His messenger, and seek to make corruption in the land, is that they will be killed or crucified or that their hands and feet be cut off on alternate sides or that they be banished from the land; that is a disgrace for them in this world and in the Hereafter they will have a great retribution.
34. Except for those who repent before you overpower them, then know that God is Forgiving, Merciful.
35. O you who believe, be aware of God and seek a way to Him, and strive in His cause; that you may succeed.
36. Those who have rejected, if they had all that is on earth and the same again with it to ransom against the retribution of the day of resurrection, it will not be accepted from them; and they will have a painful retribution.
37. They want to get out of the Fire, but they can never leave it; and they will have a permanent retribution.
38. The male thief, and the female thief, you shall confiscate their belongings as a punishment for their crime, and to serve as a deterrent from God. God is Almighty, Wise.
39. Whoever repents after his wrongdoing and makes reparations, then God will accept his repentance. God is Forgiving, Merciful.
40. Did you not know that God possesses the sovereignty of heavens and earth? He punishes whom He wills and He forgives whom He wills; and God is capable of all things.
41. O messenger, do not be saddened by those who increase in disbelief from among those who said: “We believe” with their mouths while their hearts did not believe. And from among the Jews, there are those who listened to lies; they listened to another people who have not come to you; they distort the words from their context, and they say: “If you are given this, then take it, but if you are given anything different, then beware!” And whoever God wants to test, then you will not posses anything for him against God. These are the ones whose hearts God did not want to cleanse; in this world they will have humiliation, and in the Hereafter they will have a great retribution.
42. They listen to lies, and consume many illicitly. If they come to you, then you may judge between them or turn away from them; and if you turn away from them then they cannot harm you in the least; and if you judge then judge, between them with justice. God loves those who are just.
43. And how can they make you their judge when they have the Torah, in which is God’s judgment; then they turn away after that. Those are not believers.
44. We have sent down the Torah, in it is guidance and a light; the prophets who have surrendered judged with it for those who are Jews, as well as the rabbis, and the priests, for what they were entrusted of God’s scripture, and they were witness over. So do not fear the people but fear Me; and do not purchase with My revelations a cheap price. And whoever does not judge with what God Has sent down, then these are the rejecters.
45. And We have decreed for them in it that a life for a life, and an eye for an eye, and a nose for a nose, and an ear for an ear, and a tooth for a tooth, and that wounds to be similar; and whoever remits anything of it, then it will cancel sins for him; and whoever does not judge by what God Has sent down, then these are the wicked.
46. And We sent in their footsteps Jesus the son of Mary, authenticating what was present with him of the Torah. And We gave him the Injeel, in it is guidance and light, and to authenticate what is present with him of the Torah, and a guidance and lesson for the righteous.
47. And let the people of the Injeel judge with what God has sent down in it. And whoever does not judge by what God Has sent down, then these are the vile ones.
48. And We have sent down to you the scripture with truth, authenticating what is present of the scripture and superseding it. So judge between them by what God Has sent down, and do not follow their desires from what has come to you of the truth. For each of you We have made laws, and a structure; and had God willed, He would have made you all one nation, but He tests you with what He has given you; so strive to do good. To God you will return all of you, and He will inform you regarding that in which you dispute.
49. And judge between them by what God Has sent down, and do not follow their wishes, and beware lest they divert you away from some of what God Has sent down to you. If they turn away, then know that God wants to inflict them with some of their sins; and most of the people are corrupt.
50. Is it the judgment of the days of ignorance that they seek? Who is better than God as a judge for a people that comprehend?
51. O you who believe, do not take the Jews and the Nazarenes as allies, for they are allies to one another; and whoever takes them as such from amongst you is one of them. God does not guide the wicked people.
52. You will see those who have a disease in their hearts hurrying to them, saying: “We fear that a disaster will befall us!” Perhaps God will bring a victory or a decree from Himself, then they will become regretful over what they had kept hidden within themselves.
53. And those who believe said: “Were these the ones who swore oaths by God that they are with you?” Their works have collapsed, and they have become losers.
54. O you who believe, whoever from among you turns away from the system, then God will bring a people whom He loves and they love Him; humble towards the believers, proud towards the rejecters; they strive in the cause of God and do not fear to be blamed by those who blame. This is God’s grace, He bestows it upon whom He wills; God is Encompassing, Knowledgeable.
55. For your supporter is God and His messenger and those who believe, who establish the assembly, and contribute towards betterment, while they are yielding.
56. And whoever allies God and His messenger and those who believe; then the party of God are the ones who will be victorious.
57. O you who believe, do not take as allies those who have taken your system as fun and games from among those who have been given the scripture before you and the rejecters. And be aware of God if you are believers.
58. And if you call to the assembly, they take it as fun and games. That is because they are a people who do not understand.
59. Say: “O people of the scripture, do you hate us simply because we believe in God and in what was sent down to us and what was sent down before?” Alas, most of them are vile.
60. Say: “Shall I inform you of worse than this as a punishment from God? Those who God cursed and became angry at them, and He made from them apes and pigs and servants of evil. Those have a worst place and are more astray from the right path.”
61. And if they come to you they say: “We believe,” while they had entered in with rejection and went out with the same. God is aware of what they were hiding.
62. And you see many of them hasten to sin and transgression and consuming money illicitly. Miserable indeed is what they were doing.
63. If the rabbis and priests did not stop them for speaking evil and consuming money illicitly. Miserable indeed is what they had done.
64. And the Jews said: “The hand of God is tied-down!” Their hands will be tied-down, and they will be cursed for what they have said. No, His hands are wide open spending as He wills. And for many of them, what has been sent down to you will increase them in rebellion and rejection; and We have cast between them animosity and hatred until the day of resurrection. Every time they light the fire of war, God puts it out; and they seek to make corruption in the land; and God does not like the corrupters.
65. And if the people of the scripture only would have believed and been aware, We would have cancelled for them their sins and admitted them to gardens of paradise.
66. And if they had upheld the Torah and the Injeel, and what was sent down to them from their Lord, they would have been able rewarded from above them and below their feet. From among them is a pious nation, but most of them only do evil.
67. O messenger, deliver what was sent down to you from your Lord, and if you do not then you have not delivered His message; and God will protect you from the people. God does not guide the disbelieving people.
68. Say: “O people of the scripture, you are about nothing until you uphold the Torah and the Injeel and what was sent down to you from your Lord.” And for many of them, what was sent down to you from your Lord will only increase them in transgression and rejection. So do not feel sorry for the rejecting people.
69. Those who believe, and those who are Jewish, and the Converts, and the Nazarenes: “Whoever of them believes in God and the last day and does good works, then they will have nothing to fear nor will they grieve.”
70. We have taken the covenant of the Children of Israel and We sent to them Our messengers. Every time a messenger came to them with what their souls did not desire, a group of them would reject, and a group of them would commit murder.
71. And they did not think it would be a test, so they were blind and deaf. But God would have accepted the repentance from them; but many of them were still blind and deaf. God is watcher over what they do.
72. Rejecters indeed are those who have said: “God is the Messiah son of Mary.” And the Messiah said: “O Children of Israel, serve God, my Lord and your Lord. Whoever sets-up partners with God, then He will forbid Paradise for him, and his destiny will be the Fire; and the wicked will have no supporters.”
73. Rejecters indeed are those who have said: “God is a trinity;” there is no god but One god. If they do not cease from what they are saying, then those who reject from among them will be afflicted with painful retribution.
74. Would they not repent to God and seek His forgiveness? God is Forgiving, Merciful.
75. The Messiah son of Mary, is no more than a messenger, like whom messengers have passed away, and his mother was trustworthy, they used to eat the food. See how We clarify the signs for them, then see how they deviate.
76. Say: “Do you serve other than God what cannot harm you or benefit you?” God is the Hearer, the Knower.
77. Say: “O followers of the scripture, do not overstep in your system other than the truth, and do not follow the desires of a people who have been misguided before, and they misguide many; and they strayed from the right path.”
78. Cursed are those who have rejected from among the Children of Israel through the tongue of David and Jesus son of Mary. That is for what they have disobeyed, and for what they transgressed.
79. They would not stop each other from doing sin. Wickedness is what they used to do.
80. You see many of them allying the rejecters. Wicked is what their souls have provided for them, for God’s wrath is upon them, and in the retribution they will abide.
81. And if they had only believed in God and the prophet, and what was sent down to him, then they would not have taken them as allies; but many of them are corrupt.
82. You will find the people with greatest animosity towards those who believe are the Jews and those who set-up partners; and you will find the closest in affection to those who believe are those who said: “We are Nazarenes;” that is because amongst them are Priests and Monks, and they are not arrogant.
83. And if they hear what was sent down to the messenger you see their eyes flooding with tears, for what they have known as the truth, they say: “Our Lord, we believe, so record us with the witnesses.”
84. “And why shouldn’t we believe in God and what has come to us of the truth? And we yearn that our Lord admits us with the righteous people.”
85. So God rewarded them for what they have said with gardens that have rivers flowing beneath them, in it they shall abide; such is the reward of the good doers.
86. And those who rejected and denied Our revelations; they are the dwellers of Hell.
87. O you who believe, do not forbid the good things that God has made lawful to you, and do not aggress; God does not like the aggressors.
88. And eat from what He has provided for you, good and lawful; and be aware of God in whom you believe.
89. God will not hold you for your unintentional oaths, but He will hold you for what oaths you have made binding; its cancellation shall be the feeding of ten poor from the average of what you feed your family, or that you clothe them, or that you free a slave; whoever cannot find shall fast for three days; this is a cancellation for making your oaths when you swear. And be careful from making oaths. It is such that God clarifies for you His revelations that you may be thankful.
90. O you who believe, intoxicants, and gambling, and altars, and arrows of chance are tools of affliction used by the devil. You shall avoid him so that you may be successful.
91. The devil only wants to cause strife between you through intoxicants and gambling, and to repel you away from remembering God and from the assembly. Will you be deterred?
92. And obey God and obey the messenger, and be wary. If you turn away then know that it is the duty of the messenger to deliver the clarity.
93. There is no sin upon those who believe and do good works for what they ate if they are aware and believe and do good work, then they are aware and believe, then they are aware and do good; God loves the good doers.
94. O you who believe, God will test you with some of the game for hunting coming within reach of your hands and your spears, so that God will know who reveres Him when unseen. Whoever aggresses after this, then he will have a painful retribution.
95. O you who believe, do not kill any game while you are restricted; and whosoever of you kills it deliberately, then the recompense is to expiate with the same from the livestock, to be judged by one with justice of you in the form of a fine which shall reach the Kaab’a; or its cancellation shall be the feeding of needy ones, or its equivalent in fasting, that is to taste the results of his deed; God forgives what has past. And whosoever returns, then God will seek vengeance from him. God is Noble, capable of vengeance.
96. Lawful for you is the catch of the sea, to eat it as enjoyment for you and for those who travel; and forbidden for you is the catch of the land as long as you are under restriction; and be aware of God to whom you will be gathered.
97. God Has made the Kaab’a the restricted Shrine, as a standing for the people, and the month of restrictions, and the guidance, and what is posted; that is so you know that God knows what is in heavens and what is in earth, and that God is aware of all things.
98. Know that God is powerful in retribution, and that God is Forgiving, Merciful.
99. The messenger is only to deliver. And God knows what you reveal and what you conceal.
100. Say: “The bad and the good are not equal, even if the abundance of the bad pleases you.” So be aware of God, O you who have understanding, that you may succeed.
101. O you who believe, do not ask about things which, if revealed to you, would harm you; and if you ask about them after the Quran has been sent down, then they will become clear to you. God pardons for them, and God is Forgiving, Compassionate.
102. A people before you had asked the same, then they became rejecters in it.
103. God did not institute any combination of livestock, nor livestock liberated for oaths, nor ones that give twin births, nor a stallion freed from work; but the people who rejected invented lies to God, and most of them do not understand.
104. And if they are told: “Come to what God has sent down, and to the messenger;” they say: “We are content with what we found our fathers doing.” What if their fathers did not know anything nor were guided?
105. O you who believe, you are responsible for yourselves; none who are misguided can harm you if you are guided. To God is your return, all of you, and then He will inform you of what you have done.
106. O you who believe, a testimony is required between you if death comes to one of you and he makes a will; two who are just amongst you, or two others if you have ventured out in the land and death has come to you; you will hold them after holding the assembly, and they will swear by God if you have doubt, they will not purchase with it any price, even if he was a near relative, and that we will not conceal the testimony of God, or else we are then of the sinners.
107. If it is then found out that they had lied, then two others will take their place from those who were present, and they will swear by God: “Our testimony is more truthful than their testimony, and if we aggress, then we are of the wicked.”
108. This is best so that they would bring the testimony on its face value, or fear that oaths will come after their oaths. And be aware of God, and listen; God does not guide the wicked people.
109. The day God will gather the messengers and He will say: “What was the response you received?”; they said: “We have no knowledge, you are the Knower of all the unseen.”
110. God said: “O Jesus son of Mary, recall My blessings upon you and your mother that I supported you with the Holy Spirit; you spoke to the people in the cradle and in old age; and I taught you the scripture and the wisdom, and the Torah, and the Injeel; and you would create from clay the shape of a bird, then blow into it and it becomes a bird by My leave; and you healed the blind and the leaper by My leave; and you brought out the dead by My leave”. And I have restrained the Children of Israel from you, that you came to them with proofs, but those who rejected amongst them said: “This is clearly magic!”
111. And I inspired the disciples that you shall believe in Me and My messenger; they said: “We believe, and bear witness that we have surrendered.”
112. And the disciples said: “O Jesus son of Mary, can your Lord send down for us a feast from heaven?” He said: “Be aware of God if you are believers.”
113. They said: “We want to eat from it and so our hearts become relieved, and so we know that you are truthful, and so that we become a witness over it.”
114. Jesus son of Mary, said: “O God, send down to us a feast from heaven, that it becomes a joy to us from the first to the last, and a sign from You, and provide for us, you are the best provider.”
115. God said: “I will send it down to you, but whoever rejects after this from amongst you, I will punish him a punishment like no one from the worlds will be punished!”
116. And God will say to Jesus son of Mary: “Did you tell the people to take you and your mother as gods instead of God?” He said: “Be you glorified, I cannot say what I have no right of. If I had said it then you know it, you know what is in my soul while I do not know what is in your soul. You are the Knower of the unseen.”
117. “I only said to them what You commanded me to say, that you shall serve God my Lord and your Lord; and I was witness over them as long as I was with them, but when You made me die, You were watcher over them. You are witness over all things.”
118. “If you punish them, then they are your servants, and if you forgive them, then you are the Noble, Wise.”
119. God will say: “This is a day when the truth will benefit the truthful; they will have gardens with rivers flowing beneath, eternally they will abide therein; God Has become pleased with them and they are pleased with Him. Such is the greatest victory.”
120. To God is the sovereignty of heavens and earth and all that is in them; and He is capable of all things.
In the name of God, the Almighty, the Most Merciful
1. Praise be to God who created the heavens and the earth, and Who made darkness and light; yet those who have rejected their Lord continue to deviate.
2. He is the One who created you from clay, then decreed a fixed time period for you; a time only known by Him. Yet you still deny.
3. And He is God in the heavens and the earth. He knows your secrets and what you reveal; and He knows what you earn.
4. And every sign that came to them from their Lord, they turned away from it.
5. They have denied the truth when it came to them. The news will ultimately come to them of what they were mocking.
6. Did they not see how many generations We have destroyed before them? We granted them dominance over the land more than what We granted you, and We sent the clouds to them abundantly, and We made rivers flow beneath them; then We destroyed them for their sins, and established after them a new generation.
7. And if We had sent down to you a scripture already written on paper, and they touched it with their own hands, then those who have rejected would say: “This is but clear magic!”
8. And they said: “If only an Angel were sent down to us?” But if We had sent down an Angel, then the matter would be over, and they would not be reprieved.
9. And if We had chosen an Angel, We would have made him appear as a man, and We would have confused them in what they already are confused.
10. Messengers before you were ridiculed; but those who mocked them suffered the consequences of what they ridiculed.
11. Say: “Roam the earth, then see what was the punishment of the rejecters!”
12. Say: “To whom is all that is in heavens and earth?” say: “To God.” He Has decreed mercy on Himself, that He will gather you to the day of resurrection in which there is no doubt. Those who have lost their souls, they do not believe.
13. And for Him is what resides in the night and in the day; and He is the Hearer, the Knower.
14. Say: “Shall I take other than God as an ally; the initiator of heavens and earth; while He feeds and is not fed!” Say: “I have been commanded to be the first who surrenders.” And do not be of those who set-up partners.
15. Say: “I fear if I disobey my Lord, the retribution of a great day!”
16. Whoever He spares from it, then He has had mercy on him; and that is the clearest success.
17. And if God were to inflict you with harm, then none can remove it except Him; and if He were to bless you with good, then He is capable of all things.
18. And He is the Supreme over His servants; and He is the Wise, the Expert.
19. Say: “Which is the greatest testimony?” Say: “God is witness between me and you, and He has inspired to me this Quran that I may warn you with it and whomever it reaches, that you bear witness that along with God are other gods!”; say: “I do not bear witness!”, say: “He is only One god, and I am innocent of what you set-up!”
20. Those to whom We have given the scripture know it as they know their children. Those who lose their souls, they do not believe.
21. And who is more wicked than one who invents lies about God, or denies His revelations! The wicked will never succeed.
22. And the day We gather them all, then We say to those who set-up partners: “Where are your partners whom you used to claim?”
23. Then, their only excuse was to say: “By God, our Lord, we did not set-up partners!”
24. See how they lied to themselves; and that which they invented deserted them.
25. And from them are those who listen to you; and We have made covers over their hearts to prevent from understanding it, and a deafness in their ears; and if they see every sign they will not believe; even when they come to you they argue, those who reject say: “This is nothing but the tales from the past!”
26. And they are deterring others from it, and keeping away themselves; but they will only destroy themselves, yet they do not notice.
27. And if you could see when they are standing over the Fire, they say: “If only we could be sent back, we would not deny the revelations of our Lord, and we would be believers!”
28. No, it is merely what they have been concealing that has now become evident to them; and if they were sent back they would return to what they were deterred from doing, they are but liars!
29. And they said: “There is only this worldly life, and we will not be resurrected!”
30. And if you could see them when they are standing at their Lord; He said: “Is this not the truth?”, they said: “yes, by our Lord,” He said: “Then taste the retribution for what you have rejected.”
31. Losers are those who have denied their meeting with God; until the hour comes to them suddenly, then they say: “We deeply regret that which we have wasted in it,” and they will carry their burdens on their backs; miserable indeed is their burden.
32. This worldly life is nothing more than games and a diversion, and the abode of the Hereafter is far better for those who are righteous. Do you not understand?
33. We know that you are saddened by what they say; they are not rejecting you, but it is God’s revelations which the wicked disregard.
34. Messengers before you were denied, but they were patient for what they were denied, and they were harmed until Our victory came to them; there is no changing the words of God. News of the messengers has come to you.
35. And if their aversion has become too much for you, then perhaps you could make a tunnel in the earth, or a ladder to the heavens, and bring them a sign. Had God willed, He would have gathered them to the guidance; so do not be of the ignorant ones.
36. Only those who listen will respond. As for the dead, God will resurrect them, then to Him they will return.
37. And they said: “If only a sign was sent to him from his Lord!”; say: “God is able to send a sign, but most of them would not know.”
38. And not a creature in the earth, nor a bird that flies with its wings, are but nations like you. We did not leave anything out of the record; then to their Lord they will be gathered.
39. And those who deny Our signs, they are deaf and dumb, in darkness. Whoever God wishes He misguides, and whoever He wishes He makes him on a straight path.
40. Say: “We will see when God’s retribution comes to you, or the hour comes to you, if you will still call on any other than God. If you are being truthful.”
41. “No, it is Him alone you will call on; and He will remove that which you called Him for, if He wills; and you will forget what you set-up.”
42. And We have sent others to nations before you. We then took them with adversity and hardship, perhaps they would implore.
43. If only they had implored when Our punishment came to them; but their hearts hardened, and the devil adorned for them what they used to do.
44. So when they forgot what they had been reminded of, We opened for them the gates of all opportunities; and when they were happy with what they were given, We took them suddenly!. They were confounded.
45. It was thus that the remainder of the wicked people were wiped out; and praise be to God, the Lord of the worlds.
46. Say: “Do you see that if God were to take away your hearing and your eyesight, and He seals your hearts; which god besides God can bring it to you?” Look how We cite the revelations, but then they turn away.
47. Say: “Do you see if God’s retribution comes to you suddenly, or gradually, will anyone be destroyed except the wicked people?”
48. And We do not send the messengers except as bearers of good news and warners; whoever believes, and does good, then there is no fear for them nor will they grieve.
49. And those who deny Our revelations, the retribution will inflict them for their vileness.
50. Say: “I do not say to you that I posses God’s treasures, nor do I know the unseen, nor do I say to you that I am an Angel. I merely follow what is inspired to me.” Say: “Are the blind and the seer the same?; do you not think?”
51. And warn with it those who realize that they will be gathered to their Lord; they do not have besides Him any protector nor intercessor; so that they may be righteous.
52. And do not turn away those who call on their Lord morning and evening seeking His direction; you are not responsible for their judgment, nor are they responsible for your judgment; if you turn them away, then you will be of the wicked.
53. And it is such that We test them with one another, so that they may say: “Are these the ones whom God Has blessed from amongst us?” Is God not aware of the thankful?
54. And if those who believe in Our revelations come to you, then say: “Peace be upon you, our Lord Has decreed mercy upon Himself, that any of you who commit sin out of ignorance and then repents afterwards and amends, then He is Forgiving, Merciful.”
55. And it is such that We explain the revelations, and make clear the path of the criminals.
56. Say: “I am warned not to serve those you call upon other than God”; say: “I will not follow your desires, otherwise I would go astray and I would not be of those guided.”
57. Say: “I am on a clarity from my Lord and you have denied it. I do not have what you hasten towards; the judgment is with God only; He carves out the truth, and He is the best decider.”
58. Say: “If I had what you were hastening towards, then the matter between us would have been finished. And God is fully aware of the wicked.”
59. And with Him are the keys to the unseen, none know them except He. And He knows what is in the land and in the sea; and not a leaf falls except with His knowledge; nor a seed in the darkness of the earth; nor anything moist or anything dry; all is in a clear record.
60. And He is the One who makes you die by night, and He knows what you have done during the day, then He sends you back to it until a fixed span; then to Him is your return and He will inform you of what you used to do.
61. And He is the Supreme over His servants, and He sends over you guardians. So that when the time of death comes to one of you, Our messengers make him die, and they do not neglect any.
62. Then they are returned to God, their true Patron; to Him is the judgment and He is the swiftest in reckoning.
63. Say: “Who rescues you from the darkness of the land and the sea?”, you call on Him openly and secretly: “If You save us from this, we will be of the thankful!”
64. Say: “God will save you from it and from all distresses, yet you still set-up partners!”
65. Say: “He is able to send retribution from over you or from below your feet, or He will make you belong to opposing factions, then He will let you taste the might of each other.” See how We cite the revelations, perhaps they may comprehend.
66. And your people denied it, while it is the truth. Say: “I am not a guardian over you!”
67. For every news there is a time, and you will come to know.
68. And if you encounter those who make fun of Our revelations, then turn away from them until they move on to a different topic; and if the devil lets you forget, then do not sit after remembering with the wicked people.
69. And the righteous are not required to take responsibility over them, but a reminder so perhaps they will be aware.
70. Leave alone those who have taken their system as fun and games, and this worldly life has tempted them. And remind with it that a soul will suffer with what it has earned, it will not have besides God any supporter nor intercessor; and even if it brings all justice, none will be accepted from it. These are the ones who have suffered with what they have earned; for them will be a boiling drink, and a painful retribution for what they had rejected.
71. Say: “Shall we call upon other than God what cannot benefit us or harm us, and we turn back on our heels after God Has guided us?” This is like the one whom the devils have managed to mislead on earth, he is confused, having friends who call him to the guidance: “Come to us!” Say: “The guidance is God’s guidance, and we have been ordered to surrender to the Lord of the worlds.”
72. And establish the assembly, and be aware; and to Him you will be gathered.
73. And He is the One who created the heavens and the earth with truth, and the day He says: “Be,” then it is! His saying is truth; and to Him is the sovereignty, the day the trumpet is blown. Knower of the unseen and the seen; He is the Wise, the Expert.
74. And Abraham said to his father, Azar: “Will you take idols as gods? I see you and your people clearly misguided.”
75. And it is such that We showed Abraham the kingdom of heavens and earth, so that he will be of those who have certainty.
76. When the night covered him, he saw a planet, and he said: “This is my Lord.” But when it disappeared he said: “I do not like those that disappear.”
77. So when he saw the moon rising, he said: “This is my Lord.” But when it disappeared he said: “If my Lord will not guide me, then I will be among the wicked people!”
78. So when he saw the sun rising, he said: “This is my Lord, this is bigger.” But when it disappeared he said: “My people, I am innocent of that which you have set-up.”
79. “I shall turn my face to the One who initiated the heavens and the earth, in monotheism, and I am not of those who set-up partners.”
80. And his people debated with him. He said: “Do you debate with me regarding God, when He Has guided me? I do not fear that which you have set-up except if my Lord wishes it so; my Lord encompasses all things with knowledge; will you not remember?”
81. “And how can I possibly fear what you have set-up; yet you do not fear that you have set-up partners with God, for which He has not sent down to you any authority! Which of the our groups is more worthy of security if you know?”
82. “Those who believe and do not dress their belief with wrongdoing; they will have security, and they are guided.”
83. And such was Our argument that We gave Abraham over his people; We raise the degree of whom We please. Your Lord is Wise, Knowledgeable.
84. And We granted him Isaac and Jacob, both of whom We guided; and Noah We guided from before; and from his progeny is David, and Solomon, And Job, and Joseph, and Moses, And Aaron. It is such that We reward the good doers.
85. And Zachariah and John, and Jesus, and Elias; all were from the upright.
86. And Ishmael and Elisha and Jonah and Lot; and each We have preferred over the worlds.
87. And from their fathers and their progeny and their brothers We have also chosen; and We guided them to a straight path.
88. Such is the guidance of God, He guides with it whom He pleases of His servants. And if they set-up partners, then all that they had worked would fall away from them.
89. Those to whom We have given the scripture, and the law, and the prophethood, if they reject it, then We will entrust it to a people with it who will not reject it.
90. These are the ones guided by God; so let their guidance be an example. Say: “I do not ask you for a wage; this is but a reminder for the worlds.”
91. And they did not give God His true worth, for they said: “God Has never sent down anything to any human being,” say: “Who then has sent down the scripture which Moses had come with, a light and a guidance for the people? You treat it just as paper, you show some of them and conceal much.” And you were taught what neither you nor your fathers knew” Say: “God Has.” Then leave them playing in their meddling.
92. And this is a scripture which We have sent down, blessed, authenticating what is present with him, and that you warn the capital of the towns and those around it. And those who believe in the Hereafter believe in it, and they are dedicated in their assembly.
93. And who is more wicked than one who invents lies about God, or says: “It has been inspired to me,” when We did not inspire anything to him; or who says: “I will bring down the same as what God has sent down.” And if you could only see the wicked at the moments of death when the Angels have their arms opened: “Bring yourselves out, today you will be given the severest punishment for what you used to say about God without truth, and you used to be arrogant towards His revelations.”
94. “And you have come to Us individually, just as We had created you the first time; and you have left behind you all that We have provided for you; and We do not see your intercessors with you that you used to claim were with you in partnership; all is severed between you and what you have claimed has abandoned you.”
95. God is the splitter of the seeds and the grains; He brings out the living from the dead and He brings out the dead from the living. Such is God; so why are you deluded?
96. Initiator of morning and Maker of the night to reside in; and the sun and the moon for counting. Such is the measure of the Noble, the Knowledgeable.
97. And He is the One who made for you the stars, to guide you by them in the darkness of the land and the sea. We have explained the revelation to a people who know.
98. And He is the One who initiated you from one person; with a place to reside and a place for storage. We have explained the revelation to a people who comprehend.
99. And He is the One who sent down water from the sky, and We brought out with it plants of every kind. We brought out from it green, from which We bring out multiple seeds. And what is from the palm trees, from its sheaths hanging low and near; and gardens of grapes and olives and pomegranates, similar and not similar. Look at its fruit when it blossoms and its ripeness. In this are signs for a people that believe.
100. And they made partners with God from among the Jinn, while He had created them. And they invented for Him sons and daughters without having any knowledge! Be He glorified and far above what they describe.
101. Originator of the heavens and the earth, how can He have a son when He did not have a wife? And He created all things and He is knowledgeable over all things.
102. Such is God, your Lord, there is no god but He; creator of all things, so serve Him. And He is caretaker over all things.
103. The eyesight cannot reach Him, yet He can reach all eyesight; and He is the Subtle, the Expert.
104. “Visible proofs have come to you from your Lord; so whoever can see, does so for himself, and whoever is blinded, does the same. I am not a watcher over you.”
105. It is thus that We cite the revelations and that they may say: “You have studied,” and We will make it clear for a people who know.
106. Follow what is inspired to you from your Lord; there is no god but He, and turn away from those who have set-up partners.
107. And if God Had willed, they would not have set-up partners. And We did not place you over them as a guardian, nor are you over them as a sponsor.
108. And do not insult those who call on other than God, lest they insult God without knowledge. And We have similarly adorned for every nation their works; then to their Lord is their return and He will inform them of what they had done.
109. And they swore by God using their strongest oaths; that if a sign came to them they would believe in it. Say: “The signs are from God; and how do you know that once it comes, that they would not disbelieve?”
110. And We divert their hearts and sight, as they did not believe in it the first time; and We leave them wandering in their transgression.
111. And if We had sent down to them the Angels, and the dead spoke to them, and We had gathered before them everything, they still would not believe except if God wills. But most of them are ignorant.
112. We have permitted the enemies of every prophet, human and Jinn devils, to inspire in each other with fancy words in order to deceive. Had your Lord willed, they would not have done it. You shall disregard them and their fabrications.
113. That is so the hearts of those who do not believe in the Hereafter will listen to it, and they will accept it, and they will take of it what they will.
114. Shall I seek other than God as a judge when He has sent down to you this scripture fully detailed? Those whom We have given the scripture know it is sent down from your Lord with truth; so do not be of those who have doubt.
115. And the word of your Lord has been completed with truth and justice, there is no changing His words. He is the Hearer, the Knower.
116. And if you obey the majority of those on earth they will lead you astray; that is because they follow conjecture, and that is because they only guess.
117. Your Lord is fully aware of who strays from His path, and He is fully aware of the guided ones.
118. So eat from that on which God’s name has been mentioned, if you indeed believe in His revelations.
119. And why should you not eat that on which God’s name has been mentioned, when He has fully detailed to you what has been made forbidden; except what you were forced to do? Most misguide by their desires without knowledge; your Lord is fully aware of the transgressors.
120. And leave what is evidently a sin and what is subtle; those who earn sin will be punished for what they have taken.
121. And do not eat from that which God’s name has not been mentioned, for it is vile. And the devils they inspire their supporters to argue with you; and if you obey them, then you have set-up partners.
122. Is one who was dead and to whom We gave life, and We made for him a light to walk with amongst the people, as one whose example is in darkness and he will not exit from it? It is such that the work of the rejecters has been adorned for them.
123. And as such, We have made in every town the great ones from its criminals, to scheme in it. They only scheme their own souls without perceiving.
124. And if a sign comes to them they say: “We will not believe until we are given the same as what God’s messengers were given!” God is fully aware where He makes His message; those criminals will have debasement with God and a painful retribution for what they had schemed.
125. Whoever God wishes to guide, He will open his chest to surrender; and whoever He wishes to misguide, He will make his chest tight and constricted, as one who is climbing towards the sky. It is such that God afflicts those who do not believe.
126. And this is your Lord’s straight path. We have fully detailed the revelations to a people who remember.
127. They will have the abode of peace with their Lord, He is their supporter because of what they used to do.
128. And the day we gather them all: “O tribes of Jinn, you have managed to take many humans.” Their supporters from the humans said: “Our Lord, we have indeed enjoyed one another, and we have reached our destiny to which you delayed us.” He said: “The Fire is your dwelling, in it you shall abide eternally, except as your Lord wishes.” Your Lord is Wise, Knowledgeable.
129. It is such that We make the wicked as supporters to one another for what they had earned.
130. “O you tribes of Jinn and humans, did not messengers from amongst you come to you and relate to you My revelations, and warn you of the meeting of this day?” They said: “Yes, we bear witness upon ourselves;” and the worldly life deceived them, and they bore witness on themselves that they were rejecters.
131. That is because your Lord was not to destroy any town because of its wickedness while its people were unaware.
132. But there are degrees for what they had done; and your Lord is not unaware of what they do.
133. And your Lord is Rich with Mercy. If He wished, He could remove you and bring after you whom He pleases, just like He established you from the seed of another people.
134. What you have been promised will come, you cannot escape it.
135. Say: “My people, work as you see fit, and I will work. You will then know to whom will be the punishment of the Hereafter. The wicked will not succeed.”
136. And they made for God a portion of what He provided them of crops and the livestock; they said: “This is for God,” by their claims, “And this is for our partners.” So what was for their partners did not reach God, and what was for God, it reached their partners! Miserable is how they judged.
137. And it was adorned for those who set-up partners, by their partners, to kill their children in order to turn them and to confuse their system for them. Had God willed they would not have done this, so ignore them and what they invent.
138. And they said: “These are livestock and crops that are restricted, and none shall eat from them except as we please,” by their claims; and livestock whose backs are forbidden, and livestock over which they do not mention God’s name as invention against Him. He will recompense them for what they invented.
139. And they said: “What is in the bellies of these livestock is purely for our males and forbidden for our wives, and if comes out dead, then they will be partners in it.” God will recompense them for what they describe. He is Wise, Knowledgeable.
140. Losers are those who have killed their children foolishly, without knowledge, and they forbade what God Had granted them by lying about God. They have strayed and they were not guided.
141. And He is the One Who initiated gardens, both trellised and untrellised, and palm trees, and plants, all with different taste; and olives and pomegranates, similar and not similar. Eat from its fruit when it blossoms and give its due on the day of harvest; and do not waste. He does not like the wasteful.
142. And from the livestock are those for burden, and also for clothing. Eat from what God has provided you and do not follow the footsteps of the devil; he is to you a clear enemy.
143. Eight pairs: from the lambs two, and from the goats two; say: “Is it the two males that He forbade or the two females, or what the womb of the two females bore? Inform me if you are truthful!”
144. And from the camels two, and from the cattle two; say: “Is it the two males that He forbade or the two females, or what the womb of the two females bore? Or were you witnesses when God ordered you with this?” Who is more wicked than one who invents lies about God to misguide the people without knowledge. God does not guide the wicked people.
145. Say: “I do not find in what is inspired to me forbidden except that it be dead, or running blood, or the meat of pig, for it is foul; or what is corruptly dedicated to other than God.” Whoever is forced without disobedience or transgression, then your Lord is Forgiving, Merciful.
146. And for the Jews We have forbidden all that have claws; and from the cattle and the sheep We forbade their fat except what is attached to the back, or entrails, or mixed with bone. That is a punishment for their rebellion, and We are truthful.
147. If they deny you, then say: “Your Lord Has vast Mercy, but His Might will not be turned away from the criminal people.”
148. Those who have set-up partners will say: “If God wished, we would not have set-up partners, nor would have our fathers, nor would we have forbidden anything.” Those before them lied in the same way, until they tasted Our might. Say: “Do you have any knowledge to bring out to us? You only follow conjecture, you only guess.”
149. Say: “With God is the greatest argument. If He wished He would have guided you all.”
150. Say: “Bring forth your witnesses who bear witness that God has forbidden this.” If they bear witness, then do not bear witness with them, nor follow the desires of those who deny Our revelations, and those who do not believe in the Hereafter; and they make equals with their Lord!
151. Say: “Come let me recite to you what your Lord Has forbidden for you: that you should not set-up anything with Him; and be kind to your parents; and do not kill your unborn children for fear of poverty, We provide for you and for them; and do not come near evil, what is plain of it or subtle; and do not kill the soul which God Has forbidden, except by justice. That is what He enjoined you that you may comprehend.”
152. “And do not come near the money of the orphan, except for what is best, until he reached his maturity; and give honestly full measure and weight equitably. We do not burden a soul except by what it can bear, and if you speak then be just even if against a relative; and regarding the pledges made to God, you shall observe them. This He Has enjoined you that you may remember.”
153. And this is My path, a Straight One, so follow it, and do not follow the other paths lest they divert you from His path. That is what He has enjoined you to that you may be righteous.
154. Then We gave Moses the scripture, to complete for those who do right, and to fully detail all things, and a guide and mercy that they may believe in the meeting of their Lord.
155. And this is a scripture that We have sent down which is blessed, so follow it and be aware, that you may receive mercy.
156. Lest you say: “The scripture was only sent down to two groups before us, and we were unaware of their study!”
157. Or you say: “If the scripture was sent to us we would have been more guided than they!” Clarity has come to you from your Lord, and a guidance and a mercy. Who is more wicked than one who denies God’s revelations and turns away from them? We will punish those who turn away from Our revelations with the pain of retribution for what they turned away.
158. Do they wait until the Angels will come to them, or your Lord comes, or some signs from your Lord? The day some signs come from your Lord, it will do no good for any soul to believe if it did not believe before, or it gained good through its belief. Say: “Wait, for we are waiting.”
159. Those who have divided their system and become sects, you are not with them in anything. Their matter will be with God, then He will inform them of what they had done.
160. Whoever comes with a good deed, he will receive ten times its worth, and whoever comes with a sin, he will only be recompensed its like; they will not be wronged.
161. Say: “My Lord has guided me to a Straight Path, an upright system, the creed of Abraham the monotheist; he was not from those who set-up partners.”
162. Say: “My assembly, and my offerings, and my life, and my death, are all to God the Lord of the worlds.”
163. “He has no partner, and it is to this that I was commanded, and I am the first of those who have surrendered.”
164. Say: “Shall I seek other than God as a Lord when He is the Lord of everything?” And every soul earns what is for it, and none will bear the burden of another. Then to your Lord is your return and He will inform you of what you disputed in.
165. And He is the One who made you inheritors on earth, and He raised some of you over others in grades, to test you with what He had given you. Your Lord is quick to punishment, and He is Forgiving, Merciful.
In the name of God, the Almighty, the Most Merciful
2. A scripture that has been sent down to you, so let there not be any burden in your chest from it, that you may warn with it; and a reminder to the believers.
3. Follow what was sent down to you all from your Lord, and do not follow besides Him any supporters. Little do you remember!
4. And how many a town have We destroyed; then Our punishment came to them while sleeping, or while resting.
5. Then their only saying when Our punishment came to them was: “We were wicked!”
6. We will ask those to whom We have sent, and We will ask the messengers.
7. We will narrate to them with knowledge; We were not absent.
8. And the scales on that day will be the truth. Whoever has heavy weights, then these are the successful ones.
9. And whoever has light weights, then these are the ones who lost their souls for what they transgressed of Our revelations.
10. And We granted you dominion on earth, and made for you in it a habitat; little do you give thanks!
11. And We created you, then We shaped you, then We said to the Angels: “Submit to Adam;” so they submitted except for Satan, he was not of those who submitted.
12. He said: “What has prevented you from submitting when I have ordered you?” He said: “I am far better than him, You created me from fire and created him from clay!”
13. He said: “Descend from it, it is not for you to be arrogant here; depart, for you are disgraced.”
14. He said: “Grant me respite until the day they are resurrected?”
15. He said: “You are granted.”
16. He said: “For that which You have caused me to be misled, I will stay for them on Your Straight Path.”
17. “Then I will come to them from between their hands, and from behind them, and from their right, and from their left; You will find most of them are unappreciative.”
18. He said: “Get out from this, you are despised and banished. As for those of them who follow you, I will fill Hell with you all!”
19. “And Adam, reside with your mate here in Paradise, and eat from wherever you please; but do not approach this tree or you will be of the wicked.”
20. But the devil whispered to them, to reveal their wickedness to them which was kept from them; and he said: “Your Lord did not forbid you from this tree except that you would become Angels, or you would be immortal.”
21. And he swore to them: “I am giving good advice.”
22. So he misled them with deception; and when they tasted the tree, their wickedness became apparent to them, and they rushed to cover them with the leaves of Paradise; and their Lord called to them: “Did I not forbid you from that tree, and tell you that the devil is your clear enemy?”
23. They said: “Our Lord, we have wronged our selves and if You do not forgive us and have mercy on us, then we will be of the losers!”
24. He said: “Descend; for you are enemies to one another, and on earth you will have residence and provisions until the appointed time.”
25. He said: “In it you will live and in it you will die, and from it you will be brought forth.”
26. O Children of Adam, We have sent down for you garments to cover your bodies, as well as feathers; and the garment of righteousness is the best. That is from God’s signs, perhaps they will remember.
27. O Children of Adam, do not let the devil divert you as he evicted your parents from Paradise; he removed from them their protective layer to show them their wickedness. He and his tribe see you from where you do not see them. We have made the devils as allies for those who do not believe.
28. And if they commit evil acts, they say: “We found our fathers doing such, and God ordered us to it.” Say: “God does not order evil!. Do you say about God what you do not know?”
29. Say: “My Lord orders justice, and that you be devoted at every temple, and that you call on Him, while being faithful to Him in the system; as He initiated you, so you will return.”
30. A group He has guided and a group have deserved misguidance; that is because they have taken the devils as allies besides God; and they think they are guided!
31. O Children of Adam, dress nicely at every temple, and eat and drink and do not indulge; He does not like the indulgers.
32. Say: “Who has forbidden the nice things that God has brought forth for His servants and the good provisions?” Say: “It is for those who believe in this worldly life, and it will be exclusive for them on the day of resurrection” It is such that We explain the revelations for those who know.
33. Say: “My Lord has forbidden all evil acts, what is obvious from them and what is subtle, and sin, and aggression without cause, and that you set-up partners with God that which He has never authorized, and that you say about God what you do not know.”
34. And for every nation will be a specific time; when their time is reached, they will not delay by one hour nor advance.
35. O Children of Adam, when messengers come to you from amongst yourselves and narrate My revelations to you; then for those who are aware, and upright, there will be no fear over them nor will they grieve.
36. As for those who reject Our revelations, and become arrogant towards them; then these are the dwellers of the Fire, in it they will abide”
37. Who is more wicked than one who invents lies about God, or denies His revelations? These will receive their recompense from the scripture; so that when Our messengers come to them to at their death, they will say: “Where are those whom you used to call on besides God?”, they said: “They have abandoned us!” and they bore witness upon themselves that they were rejecters.
38. He said: “Enter with the multitude of nations before you from humans and Jinn to the Fire!” Every time a nation entered, it cursed its sister nation, until they are all gathered inside it; then the last of them says to the first: “Our Lord, these are the ones who have misguided us, so give them double the retribution of the Fire!” He replied: “Each will receive double, but you do not know.”
39. And the first of them said to the last: “You have no favour over us, so taste the retribution for what you earned!”
40. Those who have denied Our revelations, and became arrogant towards them, the gates of the sky will not open for them, nor will they enter Paradise until a camel can pass through the eye of a needle. It is such that We recompense the criminals.
41. They will have Hell as an abode, and from above them will be barriers. It is thus We recompense the wicked.
42. As for those who believe and do good; We do not burden a soul beyond its means; those are the dwellers of Paradise, in it they will abide.
43. And We removed what was in their chests of hate; rivers will flow beneath them; and they said: “Praise be to God who has guided us to this, and we would not have been guided unless God guided us. The messengers of our Lord had come with truth.” And it was called to them: “This is Paradise, you have inherited it for what you have done.”
44. And the dwellers of Paradise called the dwellers of the Fire: “We have found what our Lord promised us to be true; did you find what your Lord promised to be true?” They said: “Yes!” Then a caller announced between them: “God’s curse is on the wicked.”
45. “The ones who hinder from the path of God, and sought to make it crooked; and with regard to the Hereafter they were rejecters.”
46. And between them is a barrier, and on the elevated platform are men who recognized the people by their features. And they called out to the dwellers of Paradise: “Peace be upon you!” They have not yet entered it, but they are hoping.
47. And when their eyes are turned towards the dwellers of the Fire, they say: “Our Lord, do not make us with the wicked people!”
48. And the people standing on the elevated platform called on men they knew by their features, they said: “What good did your large number do for you, or what you were arrogant for?”
49. Weren’t these the ones whom you swore God would not grant them of His mercy? “Enter Paradise, there is no fear for you nor will you grieve.”
50. And the dwellers of the Fire called on the dwellers of Paradise: “Give us some water, or what God Has provided for you?” They said: “God Has forbidden it for the rejecters.”
51. The ones who took their system as amusement and games, and were preoccupied with this worldly life. Today We forget them as they forgot their meeting on this day, and they did not heed Our revelations.
52. And We have come to them with a scripture which We have detailed with knowledge; a guide and a mercy to those who believe.
53. Are they waiting for what it says to come true? On the day it comes true, those who previously forgot it will say: “Our Lord’s messengers have come with truth! Are there any intercessors to intercede for us?, or can we be sent back and we will work differently than what we did?” They have lost their souls and what they have invented has abandoned them.
54. Your Lord is God who created the heavens and earth in six days, then He settled upon the throne. The night runs from the day, which seeks it continually; and the sun and the moon and the stars are all subjected by His command; to Him is the creation and the command. Glory be to God, the Lord of the worlds.
55. Call on your Lord openly and in secret. He does not like the aggressors.
56. And do not corrupt the earth after it has been made right; and call on Him out of fear and want. God’s mercy is near to the righteous.
57. He is the One who sends the winds with good tidings between His hands of mercy; so when it carries a heavy cloud, We drive it to a dead town, and We send down the water with it and We bring forth fruits of all kind. It is thus that We will bring out the dead, perhaps you will remember.
58. And the good town, its plants are brought forth by its Lord’s leave. And for the one that is evil, it does not bring forth except very little. It is such that We cite the revelations for a people who are thankful.
59. We have sent Noah to his people, so he said: “My people, serve God, you have no god besides Him. I fear for you the retribution of a great day!”
60. The leaders from his people said: “We see that you are clearly misguided.”
61. He said: “My people, I am not misguided, but I am a messenger from the Lord of the worlds.”
62. “I deliver to you my Lord’s messages, and I advise you, and I know from God what you do not know.”
63. “Are you surprised that a reminder has come to you from your Lord through a man from amongst you to warn you, and that you may receive mercy?”
64. They denied him, so We saved him and those with him in the Ship, and We drowned those who denied Our revelations; they were a blind people.
65. And to ‘Aad We sent their brother Hud, he said: “My people, serve God, you have no god besides Him. Will you not be righteous?”
66. The leaders who rejected from among his people said: “We see you in foolishness, and we think you are one of the lairs”
67. He said: “My people, there is no foolishness in me, but I am a messenger from the Lord of the worlds.”
68. “To deliver to you my Lord’s messages, and to you I am a trustworthy advisor.”
69. “Are you surprised that a reminder has come to you from your Lord through a man from amongst you to warn you? And recall that he made you successors after the people of Noah, and He increased you in status. So recall God’s grace, that you may succeed.”
70. They said: “Have you come to us to serve God alone and abandon what our fathers had served? Bring us what you promise if you are of the truthful ones!”
71. He said: “Affliction and anger have befallen you from your Lord. Do you argue with me over names which you and your fathers have created with no authority being sent down by God? Wait then, and I will wait with you.”
72. We saved him and those with him by a mercy from Us, and We destroyed the remnant of those who rejected Our revelations, they were never believers.
73. And to Thamud, We sent their brother Salih, he said: “My people, serve God, you have no god besides Him; clarity has come to you from your Lord, this is God’s camel, in her you have a sign, so leave her to eat in God’s land, and do not harm her, else the painful retribution will take you.”
74. “And recall that He made you successors after ‘Aad, and He established you in the land so that you make palaces on its plains, and you carve homes in the mountains. So recall God’s grace, and do not roam the earth as corrupters.”
75. The leaders who were arrogant from among his people said to those who were weak and believed from amongst them: “How do you know that Salih was sent from his Lord?” They said: “We believe in what he has been sent with.”
76. Those who were arrogant said: “In that which you believe, we reject!”
77. They thus killed the camel and defied God’s command, and they said: “O Salih, bring us what you promised us if you are of the messengers!”
78. The earthquake took them, so they became lifeless in their homes.
79. Thus he turned away from them, and said: “My people, I had delivered to you the message of my Lord and advised you; but you do not like the advisers.”
80. And Lot, he said to his people: “Do you commit lewdness with what no people of the worlds before you had done?”
81. “You come to men with lust instead of women; you are a transgressing people.”
82. The only response of his people was: “Drive them out of your town, they are a people who wish to be pure!”
83. We saved him and his family, except for his wife; she was of those who were destroyed.
84. And We rained down on them a rain, so see how was the punishment for the criminals.
85. And to Median, their brother Shu’ayb, he said: “My people, serve God, you have no god besides Him. Clarity has come to you from your Lord, so give full weight and measure, and do not hold back from people what belongs to them, and do not make corruption on the earth after it has been set-right. That is better for you if you believe.”
86. “And do not stand on every road, threatening, and turning others away from the path of God, those who believe in Him, and you seek to make it crooked. And recall that you were few and He multiplied you; and see how is the retribution of the corrupters.”
87. “And if a group of you believes in what I have been sent with, and a group disbelieves, then wait until God judges between us. He is the best of judges.”
88. And the leaders who became arrogant form among his people said: “We will drive you out Shu’ayb, along with those who believed with you from our town, or else you will return to our creed!” He said: “Would you force us?”
89. “We would then be inventing lies about God if we return to your creed after God had saved us from it; and we would not return to it except if God our Lord wishes, our Lord encompasses everything with knowledge, to God we put our trust. Our Lord, open between us and between our people with truth, you are the best opener.”
90. And the leaders who rejected from among his people said: “If you follow Shu’ayb, then you are losers.”
91. The earthquake took them, thus they became lifeless in their homes.
92. Those who denied Shu’ayb, it is as if they never prospered therein. Those who denied Shu’ayb, they were the losers.
93. So he turned away from them, and said: “My people, I have delivered my Lord’s messages and advised you. How can I feel sorry over a rejecting people?”
94. And We do not send a prophet to any town, except afterwards We would afflict its people with hardship and adversity that they may implore.
95. Then We replace the bad with good, until they have plenty, then they say: “Our fathers were the ones touched by hardship, and adversity.” We then take them suddenly, while they were unaware.
96. And if the town’s people had only believed and been aware, then We would have opened for them blessings from the sky and the land; but they denied, so We took them for what they used to earn.
97. Are the people of the towns sure that Our punishment will not come to them at night while they are sleeping?
98. Or are the people of the towns sure that Our punishment will not come to them during the late morning while they are playing?
99. Have they become sure about God’s scheming? None are sure about God’s scheming, except the people who are losers.
100. Is it not a guide for those who inherited the land after them, that if We wished We could have punished them immediately for their sins? And We stamp on their hearts, so they do not hear.
101. These are the towns whose stories We relate to you; their messengers had come to them with proofs, but they would not believe in what they had denied before. It is such that God stamps on the hearts of the rejecters.
102. And We did not find most of them up to their pledge, but We found most of them corrupt.
103. Then after them We sent Moses with Our signs to Pharaoh and his leaders. But they did wrong in them, so see how is the end of the corrupters.
104. And Moses said: “O Pharaoh, I am a messenger from the Lord of the worlds.”
105. “It is not proper for me to say about God except the truth; I have come to you with proof from your Lord. So send with me the Children of Israel.”
106. He said: “If you have come with a sign then bring it, if you are of the truthful?”
107. He threw down his staff and it manifested into a serpent.
108. And he drew out his hand, and it became pure white for the onlookers.
109. The leaders from among the people of Pharaoh said: “This is a knowledgeable magician!”
110. “He wishes to drive you out of your land; what is your command?”
111. They said: “Delay him and his brother, and send gatherers to the cities.”
112. “They will come to you with every knowledgeable magician.”
113. And the magicians came to Pharaoh, they said: “We require a reward if we are the victors.”
114. He said: “Yes, and you will be made close to me.”
115. They said: “O Moses, either you cast, or we will cast?”
116. He said: “You cast.” So when they cast, they bewitched the eyes of the people, and struck terror in them, and they came with a great magic.
117. And We inspired Moses: “Throw down your staff;” and it swallowed what they invented.
118. Thus the truth was set, and what they did was made of no effect.
119. They were thus defeated there and then, and they turned in disgrace.
120. And the magicians went down submitting.
121. They said: “We believe in the Lord of the worlds.”
122. “The Lord of Moses and Aaron.”
123. Pharaoh said: “Have you become believers before I have given you permission? This is surely some scheme which you have schemed in the city to drive its people out; you will reveal what you know.”
124. “I will cut off your hands and feet from opposite sides, then I will crucify you all.”
125. They said: “It is to our Lord that we will return.”
126. “And you are only seeking revenge on us because we believed in our Lord’s signs when they came to us. Our Lord, provide us with patience and let us die having surrendered.”
127. And the leaders from among the people of Pharaoh said: “Will you let Moses and his people corrupt the land, and abandon you and your gods?” He said: “We will kill their children and rape their women; we will be supreme over them.”
128. Moses said to his people: “Seek help with God, and be patient; for the land is God’s, He will inherit it to whom He pleases of His servants; and the end will be to the righteous.”
129. They said: “We were being harmed before you came to us and since you have come to us.” He said: “Perhaps your Lord will destroy your enemy, and make you successors in the land, so He sees how you act?”
130. And We afflicted the people of Pharaoh with years of drought, and a shortage in crops, perhaps they will remember.
131. When any good comes to them, they say: “This is ours,” and when any bad afflicts them, they blame it on Moses and those with him. Their blame is with God, but most of them do not know.
132. And they said: “No matter what you bring us of a sign to bewitch us with, we will never believe in you.”
133. So We sent them flooding, and the locust, and the lice, and the frogs, and the blood; all detailed signs; but they turned arrogant, they were a criminal people.
134. And when the plague befell them, they said: “O Moses, call on your Lord for what pledge He gave you, that if you remove this plague from us, then we will believe to you and we will send with you the Children of Israel.”
135. So when We removed from them the plague until a future time; they broke their pledge.
136. We thus took vengeance upon them by drowning them in the sea, for their denial of Our signs, and their disregard of them.
137. And We let the people who were weak inherit the east of the land and the west of it which We have blessed in it. And the good word of your Lord was complete towards the Children of Israel for their patience; and We destroyed what Pharaoh and his people were doing, and what they contrived.
138. And We let the Children of Israel cross the sea, then they came upon a people who were devoted to idols made for them; they said: “O Moses, make for us a god like they have gods?” He said: “You are an ignorant people!”
139. “These people are ruined for what they are in, and evil is what they do.”
140. He said: “Shall I seek other than God as a god for you when He Has preferred you over the worlds?”
141. And We have saved you from the people of Pharaoh, they were afflicting you with the worst punishment; they used to kill your children and rape your women; and in that was a great trial from your Lord.
142. And We appointed for Moses thirty nights and completed them with ten, so the appointed time of his Lord was completed at forty nights. And Moses said to his brother Aaron: “Be my successor in my people and be upright, and do not follow the path of the corrupters.”
143. So when Moses came to Our appointed time, and his Lord spoke to him, he said: “My Lord, let me look upon you.” He said: “You will not see Me, but look upon the mountain, if it stays in its place then you will see Me.” So when his Lord revealed Himself to the mountain, He made it crumble; thus Moses fell unconscious. When he awoke, he said: “Glory be to You, I repent to You and I am the first of those who believe.”
144. He said: “O Moses, I have chosen you over mankind with My messages and My words; so take what I have given you and be of the thankful.”
145. And We wrote for him on the tablets from everything a lesson, and detailing all things. Take it with strength and order your people to take the best of it. I will show you the abode of the corrupt.
146. I will turn away from My revelations those who are arrogant on earth without right, and if they see every sign they do not believe in it, and if they see the path of guidance they do not take it as a path; and if they see the path of mischief, they take it as a way. That is because they have denied Our revelations and were heedless of them.
147. And those who deny Our revelations and the meeting of the Hereafter, their work has collapsed. Will they be rewarded except for what they used to do?
148. And the people of Moses, after he was gone, made from their ornaments the image of a calf which made a sound. Did they not see that it could not speak to them, nor guide them to any way? They took it and they were wicked.
149. And when realized what their hands had done, and they saw that they had gone astray, they said: “If our Lord will not have mercy on us and forgive us, then we will be of the losers!”
150. And when Moses returned to his people, angry and grieved, he said: “Miserable is what you have done after I was gone; do you wish to hasten the action of your Lord?” And he cast down the tablets, and took his brother by his head dragging him towards him. He said: “Son of my mother, the people overpowered me and nearly killed me, so do not make the enemies rejoice over me, and do not make me with the wicked people.”
151. He said: “My Lord, forgive me and my brother, and admit us in your mercy; you are the most Merciful of the merciful.”
152. Those who took-up the calf will be dealt with a wrath from their Lord and a humiliation in this worldly life. It is such that We punish the fabricators.
153. As for those who commit sin but then repent afterwards and believe; your Lord after that is Forgiving, Merciful.
154. And when the anger subsided from Moses, he took the tablets; and in its inscription was a guidance and mercy for those who revere their Lord.
155. And Moses selected from his people seventy men for Our appointed time; so when the earthquake seized them, he said: “My Lord, if You wished You could have destroyed them before this, and me as well. Will you destroy us for what the foolish amongst us have done? It is all Your test, You misguide with it whom You please and You guide with it whom You please. You are our supporter, so forgive us and have mercy on us; You are the best forgiver.”
156. “And decree for us good in this world, and in the Hereafter; we have been guided towards You.” He said: “My punishment, I afflict with it whom I please, and My mercy encompasses all things. I will thus decree it for those who are aware and contribute towards betterment, and those who believe in Our revelations.”
157. “Those who follow the gentile messenger prophet whom they find written for them in the Torah and the Injeel; he orders them to goodness, and deters them from evil, and he makes lawful for them the good things, and he forbids for them the evil, and he removes their burden and the chains that are upon them. So those who believe in him, and honour him, and support him, and follow the light that was sent down with him; these are the successful.”
158. Say: “O people, I am God’s messenger to you all. The One who has the sovereignty of heavens and earth, there is no god but He, He gives life and causes death.” So believe in God and His gentile messenger prophet, who believes in God and His words; and follow him that you may be guided.
159. And from among the people of Moses are a nation who guide with truth and with it they become just.
160. And We separated them into twelve tribes as nations; and We inspired Moses when his people wanted to drink: “Strike the rock with your staff,” thus twelve springs burst forth. Every group knew where from to drink. And We shaded them with clouds and We sent down to them manna’ and quail: “Eat from the good things that We have provided for you.” They did not wrong Us, but it was their souls that they wronged.
161. And they were told: “Reside in this town and eat from it as you please, and say: “Our load is removed,” and enter the gate in submission, We will forgive for you your wrong doings, and We will increase for the good doers.”
162. Those who were wicked amongst them altered what was said to them with something different; so We sent to them an affliction from the heaven because they were wicked.
163. And ask them about the town which was by the sea, after they had transgressed the Sabbath; their fish would come to them openly on the day of their Sabbath, and when they are not in Sabbath, they do not come to them! It is such that We afflicted them for what they corrupted.
164. And a nation from amongst them said: “Why do you preach to a people whom God will destroy or punish a painful retribution?” They said: “A repentance to your Lord, and perhaps they may be aware.”
165. So when they forgot that which they were reminded of, We saved those who prohibited evil, and We took those who transgressed with a grievous retribution for what they were corrupting.
166. When they persisted on that which they had been prohibited from, We said to them: “Be despicable apes!”
167. And your Lord Has sworn that He will send upon them, until the day of resurrection, people who would inflict severe punishment on them. Your Lord is quick to punish, and He is Forgiving, Merciful.
168. And We divided them through the land as nations. From them are the upright, and from them are other than that. And We tested them with good things and bad, perhaps they will return.
169. A generation came after them who inherited the scripture, but they took the materialism of this world, which is lower; and they say: “It will be forgiven for us.” And if materialism again comes to them they take it; was not the covenant of the scripture taken on them that they would only say the truth about God? And they studied what was in it; but the abode of the Hereafter is better for those who are aware. Do you not comprehend?
170. As for those who hold tight with the scripture, and they establish the assembly; We will not waste the reward of the righteous.
171. And We raised the mountain above them as if it was for shade, and they thought it would fall on them: “Take what We have given you with strength and remember what is in it that you may be righteous.”
172. And your Lord took for the children of Adam from their backs, their progeny; and He made them witness over themselves: “Am I not your Lord?” They said: “Yes, we bear witness.” Thus you cannot say on the day of resurrection that you were unaware of this.
173. Nor can you say: “It was our fathers who set-up partners before and we were simply a progeny who came after them. Would You destroy us for what the innovators did?”
174. It is such that We explain the revelations, perhaps they will revert.
175. And recite to them the story of the one whom Our revelations were given to him, but he removed himself from them, and thus the devil followed him, and He became of those who went astray.
176. Had We wished, We could have elevated him with it, but he stuck to the earth and he followed his desire. His example is like the dog, if you chase him he pants, and if you leave him he pants; such is the example of the people who deny Our revelations. Relate the stories, perhaps they will think.
177. Miserable is the example of the people who denied Our revelations, and it was their souls that they had wronged.
178. Whoever God guides, then he is the guided one; and whoever He misguides, then these are the losers.
179. And We have committed to Hell many Jinn and humans; they had hearts with which they did not comprehend, and they had eyes with which they did not see, and they had ears with which they did not hear. They are like the cattle; no, they are even more astray. These are the unaware ones.
180. And to God belong the beautiful names, so call Him by them; and ignore those who blaspheme in His names. They will be punished for what they used to do.
181. And from among those We created is a community who guides with truth, and with it they are just.
182. As for those who deny Our revelations, We will entice them from where they do not know.
183. And I will encourage them, for My scheming is formidable.
184. Do they not reflect? Their companion has no madness; but he is a clear warner.
185. Did they not look at the dominion of heavens and earth, and all that God has created? Perhaps their time is drawing near; so in which narrations after this one will they believe?
186. Whoever God misguides, then there is none to guide him; and He leaves them blindly wandering in their transgression.
187. They ask you regarding the Hour: “When will be its time?” Say: “Its knowledge is with my Lord, none can reveal its coming except He. It is heavy through the heavens and the earth; it will not come to you except suddenly.” They ask you, as if you are responsible for it! Say: “Its knowledge is with God, but most people do not know.”
188. Say: “I do not posses for myself any benefit or harm, except what God wills. And if I could know what is hidden, then I would have increased of the good, and no bad would have come to me. I am but a warner and a bearer of good news to a people who believe.”
189. He is the One who created you from one person, and He made from it its mate to reside with. When he dwelled with her, she became pregnant with a light load, and she passed with it; but when it became heavy, they called on God, their Lord: “If you give us an upright child, then we will be among the thankful.”
190. But when He gave them an upright child, they made partners with Him in what He had given them. God be exalted above what they set-up as partners.
191. Do they set-up those who do not create anything, while they are created?
192. And they cannot give them aid, nor can they aid themselves?
193. And if you invite them to the guidance they will not follow you. It is the same whether you invite them or simply keep quiet.
194. Those whom you call on besides God are servants like you; so let them answer for you if you are truthful.
195. Do they have feet with which to walk?, or do they have hands with which to strike?, or do they have eyes with which to see?, or do they have ears with which to hear? Say: “Call on your partners, then scheme against me. You will not be given respite.”
196. “My supporter is God who sent down the scripture; and He is takes care of the righteous.”
197. As for those whom you call on beside Him, they cannot aid you, nor can they aid themselves.
198. And if you invite them to the guidance, they do not listen. And you see them looking at you, while they do not see.
199. Take to pardoning, and order with what is good, and turn away from the ignorant ones.
200. And if the devil harms you in any way, then seek refuge with God. He is the Hearer, the Knower.
201. Those who are pious, when any evil from the devil touches them, they remember, then they can see.
202. And their brethren attempt to drive them towards error, they do not cease.
203. And because you do not bring them a sign, they say: “If only you had brought one.” Say: “I only follow what is inspired to me from my Lord. This is an evidence from your Lord, and a guide and mercy to a people who believe.”
204. And if the Quran is being read, then listen to it and pay attention, that you may receive mercy.
205. And remember your Lord in yourself out of humility and fear and without being too loud during the morning and the evening. And do not be of the careless ones.
206. Those who are at your Lord, they are never too proud to serve Him, and they glorify Him, and to Him they submit.
In the name of God, the Almighty, the Most Merciful
1. They ask you regarding the spoils of war, say: “The spoils of war are for God and the messenger.” So be aware of God, and be upright in matters between you; and obey God and His messenger if you are believers.
2. The believers are those whom, when God is mentioned, their hearts reverence; and when His revelations are recited to them, it increases their faith; and they put there trust in their Lord.
3. They establish the assembly, and from Our provisions to them they spend.
4. These are the true believers; they will have grades with their Lord and a forgiveness and a generous provision.
5. As your Lord made you go out from your home with truth, but a party from among the believers disliked this.
6. They argue with you about the truth when it has been made clear to them; as if they were being herded towards death while they are watching!
7. And God promises you that one of the two parties will be defeated by you; and you wish that the one least armed be the one. But God wishes that the truth be manifest with His words, and that He eliminates the remnant of the rejecters.
8. So that truth will be manifest, and the falsehood will be confounded; even if the criminals dislike it.
9. You called on help from your Lord and He answered you: “I will provide you with one thousand Angels as defenders.”
10. And God did not do this except to give you good news, and that your hearts may be assured by it. And victory is only from God; God is Noble, Wise.
11. Sleep overcame you from Him to give you peace; and He sent down to you water from the sky to cleanse you with it and cause the affliction of the devil to leave you; and so that He may strengthen your hearts and set firm your feet.
12. God inspired the Angels: “I am with you so keep firm those who believe. I will cast terror into the hearts of those who have rejected; so strike above the necks, and strike from them every one standing.”
13. That is because they have aggressed against God and His messenger. And whoever aggresses against God and His messenger, then God is severe in retribution.
14. This is for you to sample, and for the rejecters will be a retribution of Fire.
15. O you who believe; when you encounter those who have rejected on the battlefield, then do not flee from them.
16. And whoever on that day flees from them; unless it is part of the battle strategy or if he is retreating back to his group; then he has drawn God’s wrath upon him, and his abode will be Hell. What a miserable destiny.
17. It was not you who killed them, but it was God who killed them. And it was not you who launched when you did, but it was God who launched. And so that the believers would be tested well by God. God is Hearer, Knowledgeable.
18. That, and God weakens the plots of the rejecters.
19. If you sought conquest, then conquest has come to you, but if you cease, then it is better for you. And if you return again, then We will also return, and your group will avail you nothing even if it is many. God is with the believers.
20. O you who believe, obey God and His messenger, and do not turn away from him while you have heard.
21. And do not be like those who have said: “We hear,” but they do not hear.
22. The worst creatures with God are the deaf and dumb who do not understand.
23. And if God Had found any good in them, then He would have made them listen. But if He makes them listen, they would still turn away, averse.
24. O you who believe, answer the call of God and His messenger when he calls you to what will grant you life. And know that God comes between a person and his heart, and that to Him you will be gathered.
25. And be aware of a test that will not only afflict those of you who were wicked; and know that God is severe in retribution.
26. And recall when you were but a few who were weak in the land, you were fearful that men might capture you. But He sheltered you, and He supported you with His victory, and He provided you with good provisions, so that you may be thankful.
27. O you who believe, do not betray God and the messenger, nor betray your trust, while you know.
28. And know that your money and your children are a test, and that God Has the greatest reward.
29. O you who believe, if you are aware of God, He will make for you a criterion, and He will cancel your sins and forgive you. God is possessor of great favour.
30. And the rejecters plot against you to arrest you, or to kill you, or to expel you. And they plot, and God plots, and God is the best of plotters.
31. And if Our revelations are recited to them, they say: “We have listened, and if we wish, we could have said the same thing. This is nothing but tales of the ancients!”
32. And they said: “O God, if this is the truth from You, then send down upon us a rain of stones from the sky or bring on us a painful retribution.”
33. But God was not to punish them while you are with them, nor will God punish them while they continue to seek forgiveness.
34. And why should God not punish them when they are turning others away from the restricted Temple, and they were never its protectors! Its protectors are the righteous; but most of them do not know.
35. And their assembly at the Shrine was nothing but noise and aversion. Taste the retribution for what you have rejected.
36. Those who have rejected, they spend their money to turn others away from the path of God. They will spend it, then it will become an anguish for them, then they are defeated. Those who rejected will be gathered to Hell.
37. This is so that God will distinguish the bad from the good, and so that the bad will be gathered together into one heap then He will cast it in Hell. These are the losers.
38. Say to the rejecters: “If they cease, then what has passed before will be forgiven to them, and if they return to it, then the example of the previous generations has already been given.”
39. And fight them all until there is no more oppression, and so that the entire system is God’s. But if they cease, then God is watcher over what they do.
40. And if they turn away, then know that God is your Patron. What an excellent Patron, and what an excellent Victor.
41. You should know that anything you gain, then one-fifth shall go to God and the messenger, and the relatives, and the orphans, and the poor, and the traveller. You will do this if you believe in God and in what We revealed to Our servant on the day of the Criterion, the day the two armies clashed. God is able to do all things.
42. When you were on the near side, and they were on the far side, and the supply line became directly beneath you. And had you planned for this meeting, you would have disagreed on its timing, but God was to enforce a command that was already done. So that He would destroy those to be destroyed with proof, and to let those who will live be alive with proof. God is Hearer, Knowledgeable.
43. God shows them to you as being few in your dream, and had He shown them to be many, then you would have failed and you would have disputed in the matter; it was God who saved you. He is the Knower of what is inside the chests.
44. And God showed them to you when you met as being few in your eyes, and he made you appear as being fewer to their eyes. That was so God’s decree would come to be; and to God all matters are returned.
45. O you who believe, when you meet a force, stand firm and mention God excessively, that you may succeed.
46. And obey God and His messenger, and do not dispute else you will fail and your momentum will depart, and be patient. God is with the patient ones.
47. And do not be like those who came out from their homes to boast and to be seen by men, and they repel others away from the path of God. God is aware of what they do.
48. And the devil adorned their work for them, and he said: “None from mankind can defeat you today, and I am by your side.” But when the two forces came together, he turned on his heels to flee and he said: “I am innocent from you! I see what you do not see. I fear God, and God is severe in punishment.”
49. The hypocrites and those who have a disease in their hearts said: “These people have been deceived by their system.” But whoever puts his trust in God, then God is Noble, Wise.
50. And if you could only see as the Angels take those who have rejected, they strike their faces and their backs: “Taste the punishment of the blazing fire!”
51. “This is for what you hands have put forth, and God does not wrong the servants.”
52. Like the behaviour of the people of Pharaoh, and those before them; they rejected God’s signs, so God took them for their sins. God is Strong, severe in punishment.
53. That is because God was not to change any blessings He Had given a people, except if they had changed what was in themselves. God is Hearer, Knowledgeable.
54. Like the behaviour of Pharaoh’s people and those before them. They denied the signs of their Lord, so We destroyed them by their sins, and We drowned the people of Pharaoh; all of them were wicked.
55. The worst creatures to God are those who reject, for they do not believe.
56. The ones whom you made a pledge with them, then they break their pledge every time, and they do not care.
57. So, when you encounter them in battle, set them as an example to those who would come after them; perhaps they may remember.
58. And if you fear a betrayal from a people, then return to them their agreement on equal terms. God does not like the betrayers.
59. And let not those who have rejected think that they have escaped; they will never avail themselves.
60. And muster for them all that you can of might, and from the steeds of war, that you may instil fear with it towards God’s enemy and your enemy, and others beside them whom you do not know but God knows them. And whatever you spend in the cause of God will be returned to you, and you will not be wronged.
61. And if they seek peace, then you also seek it, and put your trust in God. He is the Hearer, the Knowledgeable.
62. And if they wish to deceive you, then God is sufficient for you. He is the One who supported you with His victory and with the believers.
63. And He made unity between their hearts. And had you spent all that is on earth, you would not have united between their hearts, but God united between them. He is Noble, Wise.
64. O prophet, God is sufficient for you, and whoever followed you from the believers.
65. O prophet, urge the believers to fight. If there are twenty of you who are patient, they will defeat two hundred. And if there are one hundred of you, they will defeat one thousand from amongst those who reject; that is because they are a people who do not comprehend.
66. Now, God Has lightened for you, for He knows that there is weakness in you. If there are one hundred of you who are patient, they will defeat two hundred. And if there is one thousand of you, they will defeat two thousand by God’s leave. God is with the patient.
67. And it was not for any prophet to take prisoners unless it was in battle. You desire the materials of this world, while God wants the Hereafter for you. God is Noble, Wise.
68. Had it not been previously ordained from God, then a severe punishment would have afflicted you for what you took.
69. So consume what you have gained, lawful and good, and be aware of God. God is Forgiving, Merciful.
70. O prophet, say to those prisoners whom you hold: “If God finds in your hearts any good, He will grant you better than what He took from you, and He will forgive you. God is Forgiving, Merciful.”
71. And if they want to betray you, they have already betrayed God before, and He overpowered them. God is Knowledgeable, Wise.
72. Those who have believed and emigrated and strived with their money and lives in the cause of God, and those who sheltered and supported; these are the allies of one another. And those who believed but did not emigrate, you do not owe them any allegiance until they emigrate. But if they seek your help in the system, then you must support them, except if it is against a people with whom there is a treaty between you. God is watcher over what you do.
73. As for those who reject, they are allies to one another. If you do not do this, then there will be oppression on earth and great corruption.
74. And those who have believed and emigrated and strived in the cause of God, and those who sheltered and supported, these are truly the believers. They will have a forgiveness and a generous provision.
75. And those who believed afterwards and emigrated and strived with you, then they are from you. And the relatives by birth are also supportive of one another in God’s scripture. God is aware of all things.
1. This is a revocation from God and His messenger to those with whom you have made a treaty from among those who have set-up partners.
2. Therefore, roam the land for four months and know that you will not escape God, and that God will humiliate the rejecters.
3. And a declaration from God and His messenger to the people on this day of the extended Pilgrimage: “That God and His messenger are innocent from all those who set-up partners.” If you repent, then it is better for you, and if you turn away, then know that you will not escape God. And give news to those who have rejected of a painful retribution.
4. Except for those with whom you had a treaty from among those who have set-up partners if they did not reduce anything from it nor did they plan to attack you; you shall continue the treaty with them until its expiry. God loves the righteous.
5. So when the restricted months are passed, then you may kill those who have set-up partners wherever you find them, and take them, and surround them, and stand against them at every point. If they repent, and establish the assembly, and contribute towards betterment, then you shall leave them alone. God is Forgiving, Merciful.
6. And if any of those who have set-up partners seeks your protection, then you may protect him so that he may hear the words of God, then let him reach his sanctuary. This is because they are a people who do not know.
7. How can those who have set-up partners have a pledge with God and with His messenger? Except for those with whom you made a pledge near the restricted Temple, as long as they are upright with you, then you are upright with them. God loves the righteous.
8. How is it that when they come upon you they disregard all ties, either those of kinship or of pledge. They seek to please you with their words, but their hearts deny, and most of them are wicked.
9. They purchased with God’s revelations a small price, so they turn others from His path. Evil indeed is what they used to do.
10. They do not respect those who are believers, nor a kinship, nor a pledge. These are the transgressors.
11. If they repent, and they establish the assembly, and they contribute towards betterment, then they are your brothers in the system. We explain the revelations for a people who know.
12. And if they break their oaths after making them, and they denounce the authority of your system; then you may kill the chiefs of rejection. Their oaths are nothing to them, perhaps they will then cease.
13. Would you not fight a people who broke their oaths and intended to expel the messenger, especially while they were the ones who attacked you first? Do you fear them? It is God who is more worthy to be feared if you are believers.
14. Fight them; perhaps God will punish them by your hands and humiliate them and grant you victory over them and heal the chests of the believing people.
15. And to remove the anger from their hearts; God pardons whom he pleases. God is Knowledgeable, Wise.
16. Or did you think that you would be left alone? God will come to know those of you who strived and did not take other than God and His messenger and the believers as helpers. God is Expert in what you do.
17. It was not for those who have set-up partners to maintain God’s temples while they bear witness over their own rejection. For these, their works have fallen, and in the Fire they will abide.
18. Rather, the temples of God are maintained by he who believes in God and the last day, and he establishes the assembly, and he contributes towards betterment, and he does not fear except God. It is these that will be of the guided ones.
19. Have you made the watering of the pilgrim and the maintenance of the restricted Temple the same as one who believes in God and the last day and he strives in the cause of God? They are not the same with God. And God does not guide the wicked people.
20. Those who believed and emigrated and strived in the cause of God with their wealth and their lives are in a greater degree with God. These are the winners.
21. Their Lord gives them good news of a Mercy from Him, and acceptance, and gardens that are for them in which there is permanent bliss.
22. They will abide in it eternally. God has a great reward.
23. O you who believe, do not take you fathers nor brothers as allies if they prefer rejection to belief. And whoever of you takes them as such, then these are the wicked.
24. Say: “If your fathers, and your sons, and your brothers, and your wives, and your clan, and money which you have gathered, and a trade which you would fear if it declines, and homes which you find pleasing; if these are dearer to you than God and His messenger and striving in the cause of God, then wait until God brings His decision. God does not guide the wicked people.”
25. God Has granted you victory in many battles. And on the day of Hunayn when you were pleased with your great numbers but it did not help you at all, and the land became tight around you for what it held, then you turned to flee.
26. Then God sent down tranquility upon His messenger and the believers, and He sent down soldiers which you did not see, and He punished those who disbelieved. Such is the recompense of the rejecters.
27. Then God will accept the repentance of whom He pleases after that. God is Forgiving, Merciful.
28. O you who believe, those who have set-up partners are impure, so let them not approach the restricted Temple after this lunar year of theirs; and if you fear poverty, then God will enrich you from His blessings if He wills. God is Knowledgeable, Wise.
29. Fight those who do not believe in God or the last day, and they do not forbid what God and His messenger have forbidden, and they do not uphold the system of truth; from among the people who have been given the scripture; until they pay the fine, willingly or unwillingly.
30. The Jews said: “Uzair is God’s son,” and the Nazarenes said: “The Messiah is God’s son.” Such is their utterances with their mouths, they imitate the sayings of those who rejected before them. God will fight them. They are deluded from the truth!
31. They took their Priests and Monks to be patrons besides God, and the Messiah son of Mary, while they were only commanded to serve One god, there is no god but He, be He glorified for what they set-up.
32. They want to extinguish God’s light with their mouths, but God refuses such and lets His light continue, even if the rejecters hate it.
33. He is the One who sent His messenger with guidance and the system of truth, to make it expose all other systems, even if those who set-up partners hate it.
34. O you who believe, many of the Priests and Monks consume people’s money in falsehood, and they turn away from the path of God. And those who hoard gold and silver, and do not spend it in the cause of God, give them news of a painful retribution.
35. On the day when they will be heated-up in the fires of Hell, and their foreheads and sides and backs will be branded with it: “This is what you have hoarded for yourselves, so taste what you have hoarded!”
36. The count of the months with God is twelve months in God’s record the day He created the sky and the earth; four of them are restricted. This is the correct system; so do not wrong yourselves in them; and fight those who set-up partners collectively as they fight you collectively. And know that God is with the righteous.
37. Know that accelerating the intercalary is an increase in rejection, whereby those who have rejected are misguided by it. They make it lawful one lunar year, and they forbid it one lunar year, so as to circumvent the count that God Has made restricted; thus they make lawful what God made forbidden! Their evil works have been adorned for them, and God does not guide the rejecting people.
38. O you who believe, what is wrong with you when you are told: “March forth in the cause of God,” you become heavy on earth. Have you become content with this worldly life over the Hereafter? The enjoyment of this worldly life compared to the Hereafter is nothing.
39. If you do not march forth, then He will punish you with a painful retribution, and He will replace you with another people, and you do not harm Him in the least. God is capable of all things.
40. If you do not help him, then God Has helped him. When those who rejected expelled him, he was one of only two, and when they were in the cave, he said to his friend: “Do not grieve, for God is with us.” So God sent down calmness over him and He supported him with soldiers that you did not see, and He made the word of those who rejected be the lowest, and God’s word be the highest. God is Noble, Wise.
41. March forth in light gear or heavy gear, and strive with your money and lives in the cause of God. That is best if you knew.
42. If it were a near gain, or an easy journey, they would have followed you; but the distance was too much for them. And they will swear by God: “If we could have, we would have come with you.” They destroy themselves, and God knows they are liars.
43. God pardons you; why did you give them leave before it became clear to you who are truthful, and who are lying?
44. Those who believe in God and the last day will not ask leave. They strive with their money and their lives. And God is aware of the righteous.
45. Those who ask leave are the ones who do not believe in God and the last day, and their hearts are in doubt. In their doubts they are wavering.
46. And if they went with you then they would have prepared themselves for it, but God disliked them coming forth, so He made them lag behind, and they were told: “Stay with those who have stayed.”
47. Had they come out with you they would have added nothing but disruption, and they would have hurried about seeking to cause for you an ordeal; and there are some amongst you who listen to them. God is aware of the wicked.
48. They wanted to cause an ordeal from before, and they turned matters upside down for you until the truth came and God’s command was revealed, while they hated it.
49. And from them are those who say: “Grant me leave, and do not test me.” But it is in the test that they have indeed fallen, and Hell is surrounding the rejecters.
50. When any good befalls you, it upsets them, and if any bad befalls you, they say: “We have made our precautions beforehand,” and they turn away happy.
51. Say: “Nothing will befall us except what God Has decreed for us, He is our Patron.” And in God the believers shall put their trust.
52. Say: “You can only expect for us one of the two good things; while we wait for you to be afflicted by God with a retribution from Him, or by our hands. So wait, we are with you waiting.”
53. Say: “Spend willingly or unwillingly, it will not be accepted from you. You are a wicked people.”
54. And what prevented what they spend from being accepted from them except that they rejected God and His messenger, and they do not attend to the assembly except lazily, and they do not spend except unwillingly.
55. So do not be impressed by their wealth or children; God only wishes to punish them with it in the worldly life, and so that their lives will end while they are rejecters.
56. And they swear by God that they are with you, while they are not with you; but they are a people who are indecisive.
57. If they find a refuge, or cave, or any place to enter, then they would have run to it while they are in haste.
58. And from them are those who criticize you regarding the charities. If they are given from it, they are content; and if they are not given from it, they become enraged!
59. And if they had only been content with what God and His messenger had given them, and they had said: “God is sufficient, He will give us from His bounty, and His messenger. It is to our Lord that we desire.”
60. The charities are to go to the poor, and needy, and those who work to collect them, and those whose hearts have been united, and to free the slaves, and those in debt, and in the cause of God, and the traveller. A duty from God, and God is Knowledgeable, Wise.
61. And from them are those who harm the prophet, and they say: “He only listens!” Say: “What he listens to is best for you. He believes in God, and he has trust for the believers, and he is a mercy to those who believe among you.” Those who harm the prophet, they will have a painful retribution.
62. They swear to you by God in order to please you; while God and His messenger are more worthy to be pleased if they are believers.
63. Did they not know that whoever is hostile towards God and His messenger, he will have the Fire of Hell to abide in. Such is the greatest humiliation.
64. The hypocrites fear that a chapter will be sent down which will expose what is in their hearts. Say: “Mock, for God will bring out what you fear.”
65. And if you ask them they say: “We were only jesting and playing.” Say: “Is it in God and His verses and His messenger you were mocking?”
66. Do not apologize, for you have rejected after your belief. If We pardon one group from you, We will punish another group. That is because they were criminals.
67. The hypocrite men and women, they are to each other. They order evil and deter from good, and they close their hands. They forgot God, so God forgot them; the hypocrites are the wicked.
68. God Has promised the hypocrite men and women and the rejecters a Fire in Hell, in it they will abide; it will be enough for them. And God Has cursed them and they will have a lasting retribution.
69. Like those before them, they were more powerful than you, and with more wealth and offspring. They enjoyed their lives, and you enjoyed your lives as those before you enjoyed their lives; and you jested as they jested. They had their work crumble in this world and the next, and they were the losers.
70. Did the news not come to them of those before them, the people of Noah and ‘Aad and Thamud, and the people of Abraham, and the dwellers of Median, and those overthrown. Their messengers came to them with clarity; it was not God who wronged them, but it was themselves that they wronged.
71. And the believing men and women, they are allies to one another. They order good and deter from evil, and they establish the assembly, and they contribute towards betterment, and they obey God and His messenger. God will have mercy on them; God is Noble, Wise.
72. God Has promised the believing men and women gardens with rivers flowing beneath it, in which they will abide, and pleasing homes in the gardens of Eden. And the pleasure of God is the most important; such is the greatest success.
73. O prophet, strive against the rejecters and the hypocrites and be firm against them. Their dwelling is Hell, what a miserable destiny!
74. They swear by God that they did not say, while they had said the word of rejection, and they rejected after they had surrendered, and they were concerned with what they could not possess; and they could not find any fault except that God and His messenger had enriched them from His bounty. If they repent it is better for them, and if they turn away, then God will punish them severely in this world and the next. They will not have on earth any ally or supporter.
75. And from them are those who pledged to God: “If He gives us from His bounty, then we will believe and we will be of amongst the upright.”
76. So when He gave them of His bounty, they became stingy with it, and they turned away while they were averse.
77. Thus, hypocrisy followed in their hearts until the day they meet Him; that is for breaking what they promised God, and for what they were lying.
78. Did they not know that God knows their secrets, and their conspiracies, and that God is the knower of all the unseen?
79. Those who criticize the volunteers among the believers in charities; that they only have their effort to give; so they mock them. God mocks them, and they will have a painful retribution.
80. Whether you seek forgiveness for them, or do not seek forgiveness for them. If you seek forgiveness for them seventy times, God will not forgive them. That is because they have rejected God and His messenger; and God does not guide the wicked people.
81. Those who have remained behind are content with their position behind God’s messenger, and they disliked to strive with their wealth and lives in the cause of God; and they say: “Do not march out in the heat.” Say: “The fire of Hell is far hotter,” if they could only understand.
82. Let them laugh a little, and cry a lot, a recompense for what they had earned.
83. If God returns you to a group of them, and they ask your permission to come with you, then say: “You will not come with me ever; nor will you fight any enemy with me. You had accepted staying behind the first time, so stay with those who remain behind.”
84. And do not assemble for any of them if they die, nor stand at their grave. They have rejected God and His messenger and died while they were wicked.
85. And do not be impressed by their wealth and their children; God only wishes to punish them with it in this world, and so their souls will be taken to death while they are rejecters.
86. And if a chapter is sent down: “That you shall believe in God and strive with His messenger,” those with wealth and influence ask your permission and they say: “Let us be with those who remain behind.”
87. They were content to stay with those who remained behind, and God stamps their hearts, for they do not comprehend.
88. But the messenger and those who believe with him have strived with their money and their lives. For them will be the good things, and they are the successful ones.
89. God Has prepared for them gardens with rivers flowing beneath, in them they shall abide. Such is the great gain.
90. And those who had an excuse from among the Nomads came so permission would be given to them, and those who denied God and His messenger simply stayed behind. Those who rejected from them will be inflicted with a painful retribution.
91. There is no blame to be placed upon the weak, or the sick, or those who do not find anything to spend on, if they are sincere to God and His messenger. There is no argument against the good doers; and God is Forgiving, Merciful.
92. Nor upon those who come to ride out with you, while you said: “I do not have any mounts for you;” they turned away while their eyes were flooded with tears out of sadness, for they could not find anything to contribute.
93. Indeed, the argument is against those who sought your permission to stay while they were rich. They accepted to be with those who remained behind, and God stamps their hearts, for they do not know.
94. They will apologize to you when you return to them, say: “Do not apologize, we will not believe you, for God Has told us of your news.” And God will see your work, as will His messenger, then you will be returned to the knower of the unseen and the seen, He will inform you of what you did.
95. They will swear by God to you, when you return to them, so that you would let them be. So let them be, for they are foul, and their destiny is Hell as a recompense for what they earned.
96. They swear to you so that you would accept them. Even if you accept them, God does not accept the wicked people.
97. The Nomads are the worst in rejection and hypocrisy, and more likely not to know the limits of what God Has sent down upon His messenger. God is Knower, Wise.
98. And from the Nomads are some who look upon what they spend as a fine, and wait for misfortune for you. They will have the misfortune of evil, and God is Hearer, Knowledgeable.
99. And from the Nomads are those who believe in God and the last day, and he looks upon what he spends to make him closer to God, and the assemblies with the messenger. It indeed makes them closer. God will admit them in His mercy; God is Forgiving, Merciful.
100. And those who came early and quickly from amongst the emigrants and the supporters, and those who followed them in kindness; God Has accepted them, and they have accepted Him; and He prepared for them gardens with rivers flowing beneath in which they will abide eternally. Such is the great success.
101. And from the Nomads around you are hypocrites, as well as from the city people, they persist in hypocrisy. You do not know them, but We know them. We will punish them twice, then they will be returned to a great punishment.
102. And others who have acknowledged their sins, they have mixed good work with bad. Perhaps God will pardon them. God is Forgiving, Merciful.
103. Take from their money a charity to purify them and develop them with it, and assemble with them. Your assembly is a tranquility for them, and God is Hearer, Knowledgeable.
104. Did they not know that it is God who accepts repentance from His servants, and He takes the charities, and that God is the Pardoner, Merciful.
105. And say: “Work, and God will see your work and His messenger and the believers. And you will be sent back to the knower of the unseen and the seen, and He will inform you of what you did.”
106. And others will wait for God’s decision; either He will punish them, or He will pardon them. God is Knowledgeable, Wise.
107. And there are those who establish a temple to do harm and cause rejection, and to divide between the believers, and as an outpost for those who fought God and His messenger before. They will swear that they only wanted to do good, and God bears witness that they are liars.
108. Do not uphold in it ever. A temple that is founded on righteousness from the first day is more worthy that you uphold in it; in it are men who love to be cleansed. And God loves the cleansed.
109. Is one who lays his foundation on obtaining righteousness from God and His acceptance better, or one who lays his foundation on the edge of a cliff which is about to crumble, so that it crumbled with him into the fires of Hell? God does not guide the wicked people.
110. Such a building that they erected continue to cause doubt in their hearts, until their hearts are severed. God is Knowledgeable, Wise.
111. God Has purchased from the believers their very lives and their wealth, that they will have Paradise. They fight in the cause of God so they kill and are killed. A promise that is true upon Him in the Torah and the Injeel and the Quran. And whoever fulfills his pledge to God, then have good news of the deal which you concluded with. Such is the supreme success.
112. Those who repent, those who serve, those who thank, those who wander in devotion, those who yield, those who submit, those who order good and deter from evil, and those who keep the boundaries of God. And give good news to the believers.
113. It is not for the prophet and those who believe that they should seek forgiveness for those who have set-up partners, even if they are relatives, after it has been made clear to them that they are the dwellers of Hell.
114. And Abraham seeking forgiveness for his father was only because of a promise he made to him. But when it became clear that he was God’s enemy, he disowned him. Abraham was kind, compassionate.
115. And it is not for God to misguide a people after He guided them, until He makes clear to them what they should avoid. God is aware of all things.
116. To God is the sovereignty of heavens and earth, He brings life and death. You have none beside Him as a supporter or victor.
117. God Has pardoned the prophet and the emigrants and the supporters that followed him in the darkest hour, even though the hearts of some of them nearly deviated, but then He pardoned them. He is towards them Compassionate, Merciful.
118. And upon the three who were left behind until the land, as vast as it is, became strained to them, and their very souls became strained, and they thought there is no shelter from God except to Him. Then He pardoned them that they might repent. God is the Redeemer, the Merciful.
119. O you who believe, be aware of God and be with the truthful.
120. It was not for the city dwellers and those around them of the Nomads that they would lag behind after God’s messenger, nor would they desire themselves over himself. That is because any thirst that will come to them, or fatigue, or hunger in the cause of God, or any step that they take which will annoy the rejecters, or any gain they have over any enemy; it will be recorded as a good deed for them. God does not waste the reward of the good doers.
121. And anything small or large they spend, or any valley they cross, it will be recorded for them. God will recompense them with the best of what they did.
122. And it is not for the believers to march out in their entirety. For every battalion that marches out, let a group remain to study the system, and warn their people when they return to them, perhaps they will be aware.
123. O you who believe, fight those who around you of the rejecters, and let them find strength in you; and know that God is with the righteous.
124. And when a chapter is revealed, some of them say: “Who has been strengthened in faith by this?” For those who believe, it increased their faith, and they rejoice.
125. As for those who have a disease in their hearts, it only increased foulness to their foulness, and they died as rejecters.
126. Do they not see they are tested every lunar year once or twice?, but then they do not repent, nor do they remember.
127. And when a chapter is revealed, they look at one another: “Does anyone see you?”, then they turn away. God turns away their hearts, for they are a people who do not comprehend.
128. A messenger has come to you from yourselves. Concerned over your suffering, anxious over you, towards the believers he is compassionate, merciful.
129. If they turn away, then say: “God is enough for me, there is no god but He, in Him I put my trust and He is the Lord of the great throne.”
In the name of God, the Almighty, the Most Merciful
1. A.L.R., these are the signs of the scripture of wisdom.
2. Is it a surprise for the people that We would inspire a man from amongst them: “Warn mankind and give good news to those who believe, that they will have a footing of truth with their Lord.” The rejecters said: “This is clearly magic!”
3. Your Lord is God who created the heavens and the earth in six days, then He settled over the throne; He handles all affairs. There is no intercessor except after His leave. Such is God your Lord, so serve Him. Would you not remember?
4. To Him is your return, all of you, for God’s promise is true. He initiates the creation then He returns it to recompense with justice those who believed and did good work. As for those who rejected, they will have a boiling drink, and a painful retribution for what they had rejected.
5. He is the One who made the sun to emit light, and the moon to reflect it, and He measured its phases so that you would know the number of the years and the count. God has not created this except for truth. He details the revelations for a people who know.
6. In the difference between night and day and what God has created in heavens and earth are signs to a people who are aware.
7. As for those who do not wish to meet Us, and they are content with the worldly life, and they became relieved with it, and they are unaware of Our signs.
8. To these will be the destiny of the Fire for what they earned.
9. Those who believe and do good work, their Lord will guide them by their faith. Rivers will flow beneath them in the gardens of Paradise.
10. Their prayer in it is: “Glory be to God!”, and their greeting in it is: “Peace,” and the end of their prayer is: “Praise be to God, the Lord of the worlds!”
11. And if God were to hasten for mankind the evil as He hastens for them the good, then they would have been ruined. We thus leave those who do not wish to meet Us wandering in their transgression.
12. And if any adversity inflicts mankind, then he calls upon Us on his side or sitting or standing. But when We remove his adversity from him, he goes on as if he never called upon Us to an adversity which touched him! It is such that what the carefree do was made to appear good to them.
13. We have destroyed the generations before you when they transgressed, and their messengers came to them with clear proofs, but they were not to believe. It is such that We will recompense the criminal people.
14. Then We made you successors on earth after them to see how you would perform.
15. And when Our clear revelations are recited to them, those who do not wish to meet Us said: “Bring a Quran other than this, or change it!” Say: “It is not for me to change it from my own accord, I merely follow what is inspired to me. I fear if I disobey my Lord the retribution of a great day!”
16. Say: “Had God wished, I would not have recited it to you, nor would you have known about it. I have been residing amongst you for nearly a lifetime before it; do you not understand?”
17. Who is more wicked than one who invents lies about God or denies His revelations? The criminals will never succeed.
18. And they serve besides God what does not harm them or benefit them, and they say: “These are our intercessors with God.” Say: “Are you informing God of what He does not know in the heavens or in the earth?” Be He glorified and high from what they set-up.
19. The people were but one nation, then they differed. And had it not been for a previous command from your Lord, the matter would have been immediately judged between them for what they differed.
20. And they say: “If only a sign was sent down to him from His Lord.” Say: “The future is with God, so wait, and I will wait with you.”
21. And if We let the people taste a mercy after some harm had afflicted them, they take to scheming against Our revelations! Say: “God is faster in scheming;” Our messengers write down what you scheme.
22. He is the One who carries you on land and in the sea. And when you are in the ship and We drive them with a good wind which they rejoice with, a strong gust comes to it and the waves come to them from all sides, and they think that they are finished, they call on God with loyalty and devotion to His system: “If You save us from this, we will be of the thankful.”
23. But when God saves them, they then traverse through the land with injustice. “O mankind, what you seek out is only the luxury of this worldly life, then to Us is your return and We will inform you of all that you had done.”
24. The example of the worldly life is like a water which has come down from the sky, so it mixed with the plants of the earth from what mankind and the livestock eat. Then the earth takes its shape and becomes beautiful and its inhabitants think that they have mastered it; then Our judgment comes by night or by day, so We make it a wasteland as if it never prospered by the yesterday! It is such that We clarify the revelations to a people who think.
25. God calls to the abode of peace, and He guides those whom He wishes to a Straight Path.
26. To those who do good work will be good and more, and their faces will not be darkened or humiliated. These are the people of Paradise, in it they will abide.
27. As for those who earn evil, the recompense of evil will be evil like it, and they will be humiliated. They do not have any besides God as a helper. It is as if their faces have been covered by a piece of darkness from the night. These are the people of the Fire, in it they will abide.
28. And on the day We gather them all, We will say to those who have set-up partners: “Stop where you are, you and your partners,” then We separate between them and their partners said: “It was not us that you served.”
29. “God is sufficient as a witness between us and you, we were unaware of you serving of us.”
30. It is then that every soul will know what it has done, and they are returned to God their true patron, and what they had invented has left them.
31. Say: “Who provides for you from the sky and the land? Who possesses the hearing and the eyesight?, and who brings forth the living from the dead and brings forth the dead from the living and who controls all affairs?” They will say: “God.” Say: “Will you not be righteous!”
32. That is God, your true Lord. So what is after the truth except straying! How then do you turn away?
33. It was thus that your Lord’s command came against those who were wicked, for they do not believe.
34. Say: “Are there any from those whom you have set-up as partners who can initiate the creation and then return it?” Say: “God initiates the creation and then returns it.” How are you deluded!
35. Say: “Are there any of those whom you set-up as partners who can guide to the truth?” Say: “God guides to the truth. Is the one who guides to the truth more worthy of being followed, or the one who does not guide except after he is guided? What is wrong with you, how do you judge?”
36. Most of them only follow conjecture. While conjecture does not avail against the truth in anything. God is aware of what they do.
37. This Quran could not have been produced without God, but it is to authenticate what is already present, and to give detail to the scripture in which there is no doubt, from the Lord of the worlds.
38. Or do they say he invented it? Say: “Then bring a chapter like it, and call upon whoever you can besides God if you are truthful!”
39. No, they have lied about that which they did not have knowledge of, nor has its explanation come to them. It is also how those before them denied, so see how was the retribution of the wicked!
40. And there are some of them who believe in it, and some of them do not believe in it. Your Lord is better aware of the transgressors.
41. And if they deny you, then say: “I have my deeds, and you have your deeds. You are innocent from what I do, and I am innocent from what you do.”
42. And there are some of them who listen to you; but can you make the deaf hear, if they do not comprehend?
43. And there are some of them who look at you; but can you guide the blind, if they do not see?
44. God does not wrong mankind in the least, but it is mankind who wrong themselves.
45. And the day He gathers them, it will be as if they have slept but an hour of day. They will get to know one another. Losers are those who denied meeting God, and they were not guided.
46. And if We show you some of what We promise them, or We allow you to die, then to Us is there return and God is witness over what they do.
47. And for every nation is a messenger; so when their messenger comes, the matter is decreed between them with justice, and they are not wronged.
48. And they say: “When is this promise is you are truthful?”
49. Say: “I do not posses for myself any harm or benefit except what God wills. For every nation is a time. When their time comes, they cannot delay it one hour nor advance it.”
50. Say: “See if His retribution will come to you by night or by day, then which portion would the criminals hasten in?”
51. “Would you then, when it occurs, believe in it? While now you are hastening it on!”
52. Then it will be said to those who were wicked: “Taste the everlasting retribution. You are only recompensed for what you have earned!”
53. And they seek news from you: “Is it true?” Say: “Yes, by my Lord it is true, and you cannot escape from it.”
54. And if every soul that wronged had possessed all that is on earth, it would have attempted to ransom it. And they declared their regret when they saw the retribution, and it was judged between them with fairness. They were not wronged.
55. To God is what is in the heavens and the earth. God’s promise is true, but most of them do not know.
56. He gives life, and He brings death, and to Him you will return.
57. O mankind, advice has come to you from your Lord and a remedy for what is in the chests, and a guidance and mercy for the believers.
58. Say: “By God’s grace and His mercy.” For that let them rejoice, that is better than all that they gather.
59. Say: “Have you seen what God Has sent down to you from provisions, then you made some of it forbidden and some lawful?” Say: “Did God authorize you, or did you invent lies against God?”
60. And what will those who invent lies against God think on the day of judgment? God is with great bounty to mankind, but most of them are not thankful.
61. And any matter you are in, or any recitation you do of the Quran, or any work you do; We are witnesses over you when you undertake it. Nothing is hidden from your Lord, not even an atoms weight on earth or in the heavens, nor smaller than that nor larger, but is in a clear record.
62. No, for God’s allies there is no fear over them nor will they grieve.
63. Those who believed and were aware.
64. For them is glad tidings in the worldly life and in the Hereafter. There is no changing the words of God. Such is the great success.
65. And do not be saddened by their speech, for all glory is to God. He is the Hearer, the Knowledgeable.
66. Certainly, to God belongs all who are in the heavens and those who are on earth. As for those who call on partners besides God, they only follow conjecture, and they only guess.
67. He is the One who made the night for you to reside in, and the day to see. In that are signs for a people who listen.
68. They said: “God Has taken a son.” Be He glorified!, He is the Rich. To Him is what is in the heavens and what is in the earth. Do you have proof for this? Or do you say about God what you do not know?
69. Say: “Those who invent lies about God, they will not be successful.”
70. A short pleasure in this world, then to Us is their return and We will make them taste the severe retribution for what they were rejecting.
71. And recite for them the news of Noah as he said to his people: “My people, if my position has become too troublesome for you, and my reminding you of God’s signs, then in God I place my trust. So gather your evidence and your partners, then make certain your evidence does not become against you, then come to judge me, and do not hold back.”
72. “But if you turn away, then I have not asked you for any reward, for my reward is with God. And I have been commanded to be of those who have surrendered.”
73. They denied him, so We saved him and those with him in the Ship, and We made them to succeed each other, and We drowned those who denied Our signs. So see how was the punishment of those who were warned!
74. Then, after him, We sent messengers to their own people, so they came to them with proofs. But they did not want to believe in what they had already denied beforehand. It is such that We stamp on the hearts of the transgressors.
75. Then, after them, We sent Moses and Aaron with Our signs to Pharaoh and his leaders, but they turned arrogant, they were a criminal people.
76. So when the truth came to them from Us, they said: “This is clearly magic!”
77. Moses said: “Would you say this about the truth when it came to you? Is this magic? The magicians will not be successful.”
78. They said: “Have you come to us to turn us away from that which we found our fathers upon, and so that you two would have greatness in the land? We will not believe in you.”
79. And Pharaoh said: “Bring me every knowledgeable magician.”
80. So, when the magicians came, Moses said to them: “Cast what you will cast.”
81. So when they cast, Moses said: “What you have brought is magic, God will disable it. God does not set right the work of the corrupters.”
82. “And so that God will set the truth with His words, even if the criminals hate it.”
83. But none believed in Moses from his people except some from their descendants, because of their fear from Pharaoh and his leaders that he would persecute them. Pharaoh was high in the land, and he was of the tyrants.
84. And Moses said: “O my people, if you believe in God, then put your trust in Him if you have surrendered.”
85. They said: “In God we put our trust. Our Lord, do not make us a test for the wicked people.”
86. “And save us by Your mercy from the rejecting people.”
87. And We inspired Moses and his brother: “Take for your people dwellings in Egypt and make your dwellings into a focal point, and establish the assembly. And give good news to the believers.”
88. And Moses said: “Our Lord, you have given Pharaoh and his leaders adornments and wealth in this worldly life so that they will misguide from Your path. Our Lord, destroy their wealth and bring grief to their hearts; for they will not believe until they see the painful retribution.”
89. He said: “I have answered your prayer, so keep straight and do not follow the path of those who do not know.”
90. And We helped the Children of Israel cross the sea, but Pharaoh and his soldiers followed them out of hatred and animosity. But when he was certain to drown, he said: “I believe that there is no god except the One in whom the Children of Israel believe, and I am of those who have surrendered.”
91. Now you say this?, while before you disobeyed and were of the corrupters!
92. This day, We will preserve your body, so that you become a sign for those after you. But most of mankind are unaware of Our signs!
93. And We helped the Children of Israel reach a place of sanctity, and We provided them from the good things, and they did not differ until the knowledge came to them. Your Lord will judge between them on the day of resurrection for what they differed in.
94. If you are in doubt regarding what We have sent down to you, then ask those who have been reading the scripture from before you. The truth has come to you from your Lord, so do not be of those who doubt.
95. And do not be of those who denied God’s revelations, for you will be of the losers.
96. Those who have deserved your Lord’s retribution do not believe.
97. Even if every sign were to come to them; until they see the painful retribution.
98. If there was any town that benefited from its belief, then that would be the people of Jonah. When they believed, We removed from them the retribution of disgrace in this worldly life, and We let them enjoy until a time.
99. And had your Lord willed it, then all the people on earth in their entirety would have believed. Would you force the people to make them believe?
100. And it is not for a soul to believe except by God’s leave. And He makes the affliction upon those who do not comprehend.
101. Say: “Look at all that is in the heavens and the earth.” But what good are the signs and warnings to a people who do not believe?
102. Are they waiting for the days like those who passed away before them? Say: “Wait, for I am with you waiting.”
103. Then We will save Our messengers and those who believe. It is thus binding upon Us that We save the believers.
104. Say: “O mankind, if you are in doubt of my system, then I do not serve those that you serve besides God. But I serve God who causes you to die, and I have been commanded to be of the believers.”
105. And set your direction to the system of monotheism, and do not be of those who set-up partners.
106. And do not call upon other than God what does not benefit you or harm you; if you do, then you are of the wicked.
107. And if God afflicts you with any harm, then none can remove it except He; and if He wanted good for you, then none can turn away His grace, He brings it to whom He wishes of his servants. And He is the Forgiver, the Merciful.
108. Say: “O people, the truth has come to you from your Lord, so whosoever is guided is being guided for himself, and whosoever is misguided will remain so, and I am not a caretaker over you.”
109. And follow what is being inspired to you and be patient until God judge’s. And He is the best of judges.